Buying a vat paid boat registered in Guernsey to UK

Irish Rover

Visit site
Again read post#1. It is not unreasonable to assume it has been outside the UK based on what the OP writes "could have potentially been UK VAT paid" plus the broker is unable or unwilling to answer the question. I have simply covered the possible ways it could be in the UK. If the boat has never been outside the UK then the questions would not have arisen.
Why assume anything? Ask the relevant questions, get the facts and then give the benefit of your undoubted expertise. If you give advice or opinions based on assumptions the reader may not know enough about the subject to understand or appreciate that it's a qualified opinion and may make a wrong decision as a result.

billskip

Visit site
Why assume anything? Ask the relevant questions, get the facts and then give the benefit of your undoubted expertise. If you give advice or opinions based on assumptions the reader may not know enough about the subject to understand or appreciate that it's a qualified opinion and may make a wrong decision as a result......
...along with confusing other readers of the post.

Refueler

Visit site
I think the OP, as you can see above, is clear on the liability problem.

What I don't quite understand is, (this maybe me wrong) the urgency, boats can take time to sell unless this is an exceptional bargain, which would obviously give the agent/ broker reson to be unresponsive to what he might deem to be tyre kickers.
Unfortunately with all purchases there are expenses involved and I can understand the OP wanting ducks in line with minimum expense, whereas the agent doesn't want to waste time so waits till the op has viewed before engaging with the legal stuff...

I am aware of OP's posta and was just adding support.

TBH - I am a bit iffy about the whole matter ... boat is CI registered (I see OP's other thread about swapping CI Pt1 to UK Pt1) .. sits in UK on South Coast .. broker as I understand it says VAT paid ... but then lack of supporting info to potential buyer ..

For me - has potential to be a Pandoras Box ... or (if Broker wakes up !) easily solved deal.

Me ? I would be hammering at the Broker ...

Refueler

Visit site
Why assume anything? Ask the relevant questions, get the facts and then give the benefit of your undoubted expertise. If you give advice or opinions based on assumptions the reader may not know enough about the subject to understand or appreciate that it's a qualified opinion and may make a wrong decision as a result.

This is too true of many questions answered on forums ... so many assumed 'facts' that really are not there giving rise to some really mind numbing replies !

For me - OP needs to get Buyer friend and maybe his-self as well - to hammer the Broker to provide the necessary proof ... that is the only way to solve this.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
The problem with ‘proof of vat paid’ is that it isn’t always proof that Vat is not due. Often the original bill of sale from when new is provided as proof that Vat has been paid and is therefore not due, but a boat can lose its vat paid status during its life. I suspect there is very little that the broker or seller can produce that will give this, and probably many other, vessel a guaranteed Vat paid status. Caveat emptor.