Buying a new boat in France

G

We are thinking of buying a new beneteau in Brittany, and sailing it back ourselves. Will we save money and are there pitfalls?

BOBBIN

Visit site
Problems you will encounter are:
1) It's a Bendytoy.
2) It will be left hand drive.
3) No new boat will be perfect from delivery.
4) Every other new boat is a Baveria.

alanhanson

Visit site
we bought a new beneteau this year & looked at the option of buying abroad but this is our second new boat & we had big teething problems on the first so we decicde against it
but we did use the quotes to help negotiate the price
our boat was deliveredin april & we are still having bits sorted under warrenty only minor but if the boat had been bought in france i dont think it would have been as easy to sort out good luck anyway

robp

Visit site
First I'll refer to the (already one), probable criticism you'll get of buying a Beneteau in the first place. It's favourite (and safe) in the UK to knock "Benbjanbavs" and gain some salty cred into the bargain. If you've decided that it's best for your requirements, tastes and budget, go for it. 51% of the world's market can't be all that wrong. (Figures from 2 years back).
Wait for the jokes about flies....

I bought one in the UK, so others will have to give you the low down about buying in France. I've had one or two fundamental warranty issues, as have many friends with British built boats, perhaps more. Whilst I haven't agreed everything with the distributors, Ancasta have put in a lot of effort to getting things right. (And in my home Marina). The finish on a Beneteau is very professional, mass produced but inevitably there will be issues. I don't know what you would do unless Beneteau s.a. agree redress to the UK outlets. That would always be in my mind.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. Have fun.

charles_reed

Visit site
You'll have warranty issues.

Who is going to sort them - or will you sail the boat back to Lorient?

I know someone who took delivery of a Beneteau and sailed it back to Martha's Landing with only one problem - the water-tank changeover switch.

PS Martha's Landing is in New England.

stiknstring

Visit site
I did buy a boat in France and took delivery in May this year. I agree that the warranty issue is something you want to take into your calculations. We had the usual problems, mostly electronic and the 'fridge. No problems with the hull etc yet. The equipment that did cause problems was covered by international warranty (Raytheon, Sailor and Frigoboat). Raytheon's response was first class. I had a UK engineer aboard within two days who replaced the PCB in the autopilot, tested and called me to say all had been put back together. More difficult with the 'fridge (all it needed was another charge of gas - so paid it myself) and the radio had a connector replaced FOC. If anything goes seriously awry with the boat (a Bavaria 40) the French dealer has promised to get the ferry across to Portsmouth and take it from there. I have full confidence in his ability and integrity. But it is more of a hassle than having the dealer on your doorstep.

So, there has to be a disticnt advantage on pricing to warrant this. In my case, I saved £20,000 on Opal's then asking price (their prices have since come into line now that they have bought their DM's forward at a more sensible rate), but my big saving is taking on a French lease;. This is a form of hire purchase where the French Government will rebate 50% of the VAT payable to the finance company who lend for a Cat A boat that stays on the French register during the term of the (full pay-out) lease. The effect of this is that at current interest rates, you effectively get an interest free loan for up to 5 years on 50% of the value of the boat. This has allowed me to place the money I was going to pay for the boat into an investment account gaining (saving) me another £20,000 (presuming 8% annual growth) over the term of the lease. That was the advantage I was looking for - it certainly made it worthwhile for me to buy the boat overseas and accept the warranty concern. It may be for you as well.

You also have to pay to keep the red book (registration document) valid. There is an annual charge based on the boat's displacement, LOA etc and also the size of the engine. In my case with a LOA of 41 feet and a 50 HP engine, it comes to Ffr 3280 per annum (approx £325). The dealer can arrange this year on year.

On the downside, you will have to take the currency risk over 5 years. The Euro is at a real low at the moment, perhaps it will strengthen at the start of next year - who knows? At the end of the day, you can always pull out of the lease and pay it off (and pay the remaining pro-rata VAT) by raising a loan elsewhere if the currency moves significantly against you.

The French lease is available for all boats over a certain value (can't remember what that is) whatever the country of manufacture. I believe however that you need to get it through a French dealer.

There are a surprising number of boats in UK waters flying the French tricolor ( a necessary part of the deal!) who are subject to French leases.

Hope this is of use to you - don't let people put you off looking at the idea! Good luck in whatever you do. Feel free to contact me if you want to email/talk etc