burial

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The only cemetery I know of on Kefalonia is the British one near the Drapano bridge, but I thought that was for the British servicemen from the war, the other is the Italian cemetery in Argostoly. I have never heard of another one, simply curious that's all.

I'd read the British Cemetery name plate and thought it was like the Corfu one. Your post prompted a check on the CWG website and it turns out that this is an unusual cemetery in that it is maintained by the CWG on behalf of the MOD but all the burials are none world war casualties. Now I'll have to do some more research on the topic.....

Oh and Davy, yes that's the place. If I find anything interesting, I'll post it here. Have to wait until after the weekend, I'm off to the Isles of Scilly tomorrow to row in the gig championships....

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
Although I like the humour in some of the answers my question was meant serious.

I even Googled @ nauticalnomdad ´s inabody suggestion, jeezz, I did not even know such things existed. Fie !

So why is it that there are so many British cemetary´s on nice islands ?

While were at it, what would be the best religion to adapt after a life of walking just besides the strait path. Most people seem to think that the good way of life is to work your a** off until you are fit for the rolator and stay home in front of the television. Oh, and have cars.
Some other thing.
With aging, lots of friends and relatives try to convince me to “Come home”
What home ? Their home ? Their idea of security, their idea of comfort ?
The poor souls are forgotten I have lived and worked in their paradise. Blessed are the ignorant and those who glorify what is told.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
As to why there are British cemeteries on the islands, the islands were occupied by the British in the 19th century. Inevitably, some soldiers and civil servants died whilst they were there, so cemeteries were set up to cope with the requirement. In some places they continue in use. This is separate from the Commonwealth War Graves cemeteries in places like Crete, which are reserved for the dead of the world wars.

Davy_S

Visit site
There are sailors buried in a cemetery in Sami Kefalonia, I believe they were from a British square rigger anchored off Sami, they tried to row back to their ship in bad weather but never made it.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It is generally a good idea to make sure that your nearest and dearest have some idea of how you want to be disposed of. Where you die (especially in the Eastern Med) may well limit your choices; Islamic countries regard cremation as unlawful and Orthodox ones regard it as being unacceptable, so burial is the simplest option. There ARE countries/regions where both burial and cremation are regarded as evil, and exposure of the body to carrion birds is the norm (see Parsee Tower of Silence). Given the climate (and religious obligations in the case of Islamic countries), you will be buried pronto - within 24 hours in an Islamic country; others have mentioned 2 days in Greece.

There are resources available; the Anglican church will usually have some presence in whichever country you die in, and will be able to advise. For Greece, THIS may be helpful; otherwise THIS is a window into the world-wide Anglican communion. As well as this, British Embassies or Consulates will be able to give advice.

But the essential thing is to make sure that whoever you leave behind knows what is likely to happen and who to talk to about the necessary arrangement.

The real problem is going to be making sure that there is appropriate documentation of your death, so as to satisfy probate etc. If there is anyone left behind, they would be at a disadvantage if there isn't good evidence of your death to show banks, for proving wills, selling property or whatever!

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
But the essential thing is to make sure that whoever you leave behind knows what is likely to happen and who to talk to about the necessary arrangement.

The real problem is going to be making sure that there is appropriate documentation of your death, so as to satisfy probate etc. If there is anyone left behind, they would be at a disadvantage if there isn't good evidence of your death to show banks, for proving wills, selling property or whatever!
This has concerned me since Swiss friends were in Thailand when the tsunami struck; wife and two daughters survived but husband lost, body never recovered. Fortunately, the Swiss government waived the 7 year rule before a death certificate can be released for no proof of death (no corpse) but not before the widow went through great financial difficulties.

It made me reflect that if I go overboard while single-handed - my normal situation - and body not found, my wife would have to wait a long time to gain access to all our assets. Consequently, everything we possess is now in joint ownership, including house, boat and all bank accounts with only a single signature needed for sale or transactions. This does, of course, require a stable and trusting relationship.

We also both have testaments that our bodies should be disposed of, preferably by cremation, wherever our demise - no expensive and unnecessary return to our permanent domicile.

Retired in Crete

Visit site
From experience:
If you have property outside the UK you need to remember that different countries have different inheritance rules.

For example, in Greece, you cannot disinherit various relatives and they must be left a certain percentage of the estate. This makes it almost impossible to leave everything to the surviving spouse. Fortunately, as a British citizen living abroad, under EU regulations you have the right to decide under which countries laws you want your will executed but this must be stated in your will.

If you have property both in the UK and elsewhere it makes life much easier if you make a separate will for each country.

John

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
From experience:
If you have property outside the UK you need to remember that different countries have different inheritance rules.

For example, in Greece, you cannot disinherit various relatives and they must be left a certain percentage of the estate. This makes it almost impossible to leave everything to the surviving spouse. Fortunately, as a British citizen living abroad, under EU regulations you have the right to decide under which countries laws you want your will executed but this must be stated in your will.

If you have property both in the UK and elsewhere it makes life much easier if you make a separate will for each country.

John

Do you happen to know whether (and how) it's possible to donate one's dead body to medical science in Greece? I know it's possible in the UK and it removes the hassle and cost of your relatives disposing of your body. Despite the Orthodox church's likely objections, there must be medical students in Greece(?) and they must need cadavers to practice on.

Retired in Crete

Visit site
Do you happen to know whether (and how) it's possible to donate one's dead body to medical science in Greece?

Extract from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22851304
"In Greece, the rate of body donation to medical science remains low, and most Greek citizens are not willing to become body donors. Efforts to encourage discussions about whole body donation should be implemented in order to improve current low levels of donation."

So certainly possible and The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Crete in Heraklion is one of the best rated medical schools in Greece. (http://whichuniversitybest.blogspot.gr/2011/02/medical-schools-in-greece.html)

I don't know how you donate so I phoned them (2810 394762) but no reply as today is a national holiday. I would guess that you just state it in your will and the school will do the necessary arrangements

John

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
"In Greece, the rate of body donation to medical science remains low, and most Greek citizens are not willing to become body donors. Efforts to encourage discussions about whole body donation should be implemented in order to improve current low levels of donation."

So certainly possible and The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Crete in Heraklion is one of the best rated medical schools in Greece. (http://whichuniversitybest.blogspot.gr/2011/02/medical-schools-in-greece.html)

I don't know how you donate so I phoned them (2810 394762) but no reply as today is a national holiday. I would guess that you just state it in your will and the school will do the necessary arrangements

John

Surely the problem with a will is that it may not take effect until it is too late, especially in hot or Islamic countries? Even in this country it can take too long - we actually failed to observe my Aunt's directions about her funeral because we didn't know what was in her will until after the funeral and there was a conflict between what she'd actually laid down and our family understanding of the situation (I think she'd have approved of what we did, though). So it is essential that those who are left behind know (and support) your intentions. Of course, it may be possible to do something analogous to the organ donation card, but then you're relying on it being found. Further, what if your body isn't suitable for either teaching or research? I'm think of bodies mangled by machinery or recovered after three days in the sea... Unless you die in hospital of foreseen causes, your body isn't likely to be usable - it would need to be appropriately preserved pretty quickly after death, and that doesn't mean the undertaker's style of embalming.

BTW, sometimes people don't want to leave their body to medical research or teaching because they fear it won't be treated with appropriate dignity. I happen to know - my late wife was responsible for booking students onto dissection classes - that the teaching staff make very sure that proper standards of behaviour ARE taught and enforced. Of course, no doubt there will be the usual gallows humour in the bar afterwards!

OldBawley

Visit site

John

Now we are getting somewhere.

Reading @ retiredinCrete ´s post I realised I have a few bank accounts of whom only the tax office and I know.
So one more task : getting an authorisation letter for those accounts and let son / wife know which and where those accounts are.
Also let son know where the cash is hidden.
Since during our cruising years I had twice that my debit card expired I have a supply of cash hidden on the boat. With an expired Visa card you learn very fast that banks will not supply cash, no matter how much debit you have.
A new card has to be sent to the country you are in, the new code is no easy process either.

Retired in Crete

Visit site
Reading @ retiredinCrete ´s post I realised I have a few bank accounts of whom only the tax office and I know.
So one more task : getting an authorisation letter for those accounts and let son / wife know which and where those accounts are. Also let son know where the cash is hidden.

I have a sealed envelope inside a glued & sealed picture frame on the wall titled “To be opened on my demise”.
Inside is another copy of my will, all bank account details, debit & credit card pin numbers, Details of insurance policies, who should be told of my demise etc. ect.

Much safer than telling now (certain people would not approve of my will)
John

Last edited:

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Interesting program on the radio about a year ago.

Cremation in Greece is still taboo as it's against the Greek Orthodox beliefs. That and the Church charges you for renting the ground and crypt space so it stands to make a considerable amount off your estate. Yes there's a crematorium approved but yet to fire up! Seems a waste to burn the leftovers unless someone is extracting the energy!

I've heard of a new approach, they pack you up in a bag with a sapling, eventually you fertilise the tree. Sounds fair to me. No idea if they do it in Greece. Unlikely I think.

Tranona

Visit site
Now we are getting somewhere.

So one more task : getting an authorisation letter for those accounts and let son / wife know which and where those accounts are.
Also let son know where the cash is hidden.
Since during our cruising years I had twice that my debit card expired I have a supply of cash hidden on the boat. With an expired Visa card you learn very fast that banks will not supply cash, no matter how much debit you have.
A new card has to be sent to the country you are in, the new code is no easy process either.

In the UK we have a legal thing called a Power of Attorney which you establish while you still have your marbles. In nominates others to act on your behalf if you get to a stage where you are incapable of managing your own affairs. Banks accept them as authority to access accounts. I had it for my parents (but never needed it as my mother was fully capable right to the end) and both my daughters have it for myself and my wife.

Does not help when you die as it dies with you and then your executor takes responsibility. Because all our circumstances are unique you can only follow general guidelines on how to arrange your affairs so that both your wishes are respected and things are made easy for those who have to carry out those wishes. Obviously easier if you die in a controlled way rather than by accident (for example), but worth giving some thought, as you are.

I learned a lot from dealing with my parents' deaths, particularly my mother as my father died some years before her. She discussed with me every detail - including the order of service for her funeral! - and all the necessary papers were in one place. Made my job as executor much easier, helped by there only being a small number of family members as beneficiaries.

Like Barnacle my wife and I own almost everything jointly, with joint accounts, but single signatures. Easy when you have been married for nigh on 50 years, but guess not so easy for many modern relationships.

Tony Cross

Visit site

John

I'd be very interested to hear about the possibility of body donation if you do get an answer from the University of Crete.