Bulb primer in diesel line

Upnorth

Visit site
The item referred to in the asap link has been discontinued. If you want to see what it looks like, go to the ASAP (asap-supplies.com) website and enter the part number 302052 in the search box. Imagine this item must be available from other suppliers.
I've just tried to access Asap Supplies site and received a '403 -Forbidden' message. Does anyone know if their site has been hacked, or is the problem at my end?

Blue Drifter

Visit site
I've just tried to access Asap Supplies site and received a '403 -Forbidden' message. Does anyone know if their site has been hacked, or is the problem at my end?
I went online via the link to look at the primer pump/filter and got the same message. They have a chat service and the operator stated they no longer stock this item but have primers for the Cav filters (<£20) that bolt on the side. HE recommended part number 302067 as as example. Search results for: '30206'

wipe_out

Visit site
Thought I was just post a bit of a caution. I installed the primer bulb back when I opening this thread and it has worked well. Today when changing the filter it completely failed. Looks like even though it was supposedly suitable for diesel the rubber had degraded on both ends and it split when I tried to pump it. Glad it failed during maintenance and not in some more volatile situation.

Refueler

Visit site
Thought I was just post a bit of a caution. I installed the primer bulb back when I opening this thread and it has worked well. Today when changing the filter it completely failed. Looks like even though it was supposedly suitable for diesel the rubber had degraded on both ends and it split when I tried to pump it. Glad it failed during maintenance and not in some more volatile situation.

I find bulbs get hard over time ..... I have a couple in the shed ... useless now.

Minerva

Visit site
A small 12v facet pump will do the job and last for at least 20 years...easier to use and could keep you going in a difficult situation if the filters were showing signs of blocking...

With adding a 12v pump into the system; once the system is bled and you remove power - will it still allow diesel to flow unobstructed?

My engine is a pig to bleed so this is very tempting indeed!

madabouttheboat

Visit site
With adding a 12v pump into the system; once the system is bled and you remove power - will it still allow diesel to flow unobstructed?

Just found this:

I only need an electrical pump to prime my mechanical pump. Can I still pull fuel through a Facet pump when it is off?

It depends on the specific pump. Some Facet pumps are equipped with a positive shut-off valve (also known as an anti-siphon valve), which prevents fuel from being siphoned through the pump. None of the pumps in the Posi-Flo line have a positive shut-off valve, so any of those would be a safe bet for this type of installation.

If you also want to be able to run the car on the electrical pump, then you need to check your chosen pump.

Facet fuel pumps without a positive shut-off valve (fuel can be drawn through with the pump off)

Facet fuel pumps with a positive shut-off valve (fuel will not flow through with the pump off)

madabouttheboat

Visit site
This seems like a good one to use as a "priming only" pump:

FACET 40104 12v ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP 1.5 - 4.0 PSI + 8mm HOSE TAIL UNIONS | eBay

I guess you could save a few quid by going for non-Facet, especially as failure wouldn't be a show stopper. There is nothing specific about whether it would allow flow when power is off, but I suspect its cheapness suggests it would.

12v Electric Universal Fuel Pump 140 L/H Flow Rate - 8mm Hose Connector

or

Diesel petrol 12V for red top square electric fuel...

rogerthebodger

Visit site

I have both priming bulbs and priming 12 V [umps in series and all works fine just ensure all connections are air tight as no air can leak in

Minerva

Visit site
This seems like a good one to use as a "priming only" pump:

FACET 40104 12v ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP 1.5 - 4.0 PSI + 8mm HOSE TAIL UNIONS | eBay

I guess you could save a few quid by going for non-Facet, especially as failure wouldn't be a show stopper. There is nothing specific about whether it would allow flow when power is off, but I suspect its cheapness suggests it would.

12v Electric Universal Fuel Pump 140 L/H Flow Rate - 8mm Hose Connector

or

Diesel petrol 12V for red top square electric fuel...
Probably won’t be an issue, but if your fuel take off is from the top of the tank, that Facet pump only has a dry lift lift of 30cm.

May be an issue if your tanks not 100% full?

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Probably won’t be an issue, but if your fuel take off is from the top of the tank, that Facet pump only has a dry lift lift of 30cm.

May be an issue if your tanks not 100% full?
Good point, mine is at the bottom.
Having said that, unless you run out of fuel altogether the feed pipe should always be full, so once you have sucked it through the first time it should always work.

pandos

Visit site

Yep it just lets the fuel pass through... This is the type that I have ( at least it looks like it.) I saw the reference to a dry prime height of 300mm my tank is 800 deep and the pump has no trouble lifting via a primary filter and from a half full tank. (It never occurred to me that it would have a lower ability to lift than the engine lift pump)..

I selected it because it looked like one which was fitted to my boat when I bought it in 2005.

Facet Posi-Flow Low Pressure 12v Fuel Pump Kit 1.5 To 4.0 Psi Up To 150 Bhp | eBay

Last edited:

DanTribe

Visit site
I had a problem bleeding my Beta 20 last year, eventually tracked the problem to a faulty lift pump. I fitted a rubber bulb as a temporary fix although I didn't really like the idea. I worried that the diesel might attack the rubber but it's fine and I've left it in line.

VicS

Visit site
I had a problem bleeding my Beta 20 last year, eventually tracked the problem to a faulty lift pump. I fitted a rubber bulb as a temporary fix although I didn't really like the idea. I worried that the diesel might attack the rubber but it's fine and I've left it in line.
one of my diesel cars had one in the fuel line.