Building the Ultrasonic Antifouling Kit from Jaycar

Seajet

Visit site
My boat ( monohull, 22' x 7'7" ) is on a half-tide mud mooring at least 6 months a year, southern England, using conventional 'self eroding' antifoul, either International 'Uno' or Micron'.

The only fouling suffered is a bit of weed at the forefoot just above the antifoul, where the mooring chain weighs her down and the waves keep constantly washing, and a little at the skeg, which with the retrousse transom gets a lot of sunlight.

Do any military forces anywhere use this electronic snake-oil, or is the excuse that it would interfere with sensor systems etc ? :rolleyes:

Norman_E

Visit site
I am constantly amazed by people who call anything new, or anything they don't understand "snake oil". My own boat had two coats of conventional antifouling last year, and by this time it was sprouting a good crop of barnacles. This year it had one thin top up coat, and the ultrasonic kits fitted. The only barnacle I can find on the boat is on the trailing edge of the rudder, which is of course acoustically isolated from the hull.

I guess the reason the military don't use it is the sheer size of most of their boats and the fact that I think they are still using the tin based antifoulings denied to the rest of us.

trisailing1

Visit site
Can you post a link to the pre built kits please?
Can't find it on the Jaycar site?

Hey Mate,
These built units just came in. And r not on the web site as yet. the cat number is (YS5600) for 2 transdusers and (YS5602) for 4 transducers @$1,199aus.
If you want one i can visit the shop and sort you out somehow.

Seajet

Visit site
Still snake Oil

Ultrasonic a/f was tried many years ago and proved spurious; as I mentioned I get similar results with conventional a/f in a half tide mud mooring...people will believe what they wish to see, but good luck, it remains a nice idea, in the same vein I might discover Lyonesse / Atlantis, which there's more scientific proof for !

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I fitted two of Jaycars units early this year, the hull having been antifouled in March 2010 with International Cruiser Uno was lifted and washed off in April this year no further antifoul paint was applied apart from a week or so to Holland in early June she has only been out of her bearth 3 times this year.

She was lifted on Friday and whilst I was not there the report is slight weed growth at the waterline with only slight slime growth over the hull. I did notice a couple of weeks ago a large growth of weed on the immersed (ultrasonically uncoupled) Hydrovane shaft, so there appears to be opportunity for significant fouling on unprotected surfaces.

Conclussion there seems to be reason to believe that Ultrasonic Antifouling works and has a positive effect, pictures to follow when I get them.

jtwebb

Visit site
There are various comments in this thread about making sure there is good acoustic contact with the hull. I remember that glycerin was used when fitting an echo sounder transducer inside the hull without drilling a hole. Is that an option here or is the peak power too much? Might cause some form of boiling?!

Last edited:

janda

Visit site
no clicking is it working?

Hi,
Mine is all built and set up but I can't hear any clicks and it doesn't interfere with an am radio. Connecting power via an ammmeter gives a brief flicker only. Led is on. Components are correctly placed and soldered. What can I check next? I don't have a scope only a multimeter.

wizard

Visit site
The first thing to do is to go back to basics.

Check and check again that you have the right components in the right place and orientated correctly if required.

Do any components look as if they have overheated whilst soldering

Check carefully on the soldering side that you have good clean shiny solder on both the board and the component lead

Remove the IC and check again that it is correctly orientated

Did you remember to do the wire link in the centre of the board

Have you checked the fuse

With the power off check continuity where you can with the multimeter for any breaks in the circuit

VERY IMPORTANT do not check the board with the power on - if you were to move a dry joint or loose connection and the thing powers up it can give you a severe if not fatal shock

That should get you started - good luck

Norman_E

Visit site
Go through Wizard's check list. It is easy to blow the fuse, particularly if you put it in whilst setting the voltage. Check carefully that the two ICs are inserted fully into the sockets (no pins bent underneath!) and the correct way round.

Look at all your soldered joints with a magnifying glass.

They should all look like these, which are the tiny ones on an IC socket, highly magnified.

tn_IMG_1460.jpg

Last edited:

Stefanb104

Visit site
Contacting Jaycar

Hi all

I placed an order for one of these units about 3 months ago and still haven't received anything.
I've tried all their published phone numbers in different countries and e-mail addresses but either the phone gives the message the inbox is full or I don't get a reply with the e-mails. My order included a few other items so it represents a fair few quid.

Does anyone have any clues as to a working contact for Jaycar so I can chase up my order.

Trisailing1 said he'd help by going to his local Jaycar store in Oz but haven't heard anything since.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

janda

Visit site
is it working? yes!

Go through Wizard's check list. It is easy to blow the fuse, particularly if you put it in whilst setting the voltage. Check carefully that the two ICs are inserted fully into the sockets (no pins bent underneath!) and the correct way round.

Look at all your soldered joints with a magnifying glass.

They should all look like these, which are the tiny ones on an IC socket, highly magnified.

Photo3.jpg

Yup there were three joints that were slightly suspect. So i resoldered them and bingo! Thanks guys.

Jaycar

Visit site
Hi Stefan,

That's a huge concern that you have not received your anti-fouling kit order yet. I am looking into it, and also looking into why your calls and emails have gone unanswered. This is certainly not the way we do business.

We will be in touch tomorrow.

Regards
Murray Roberts
Jaycar Marketing Dept. Australia
mroberts@jaycar.com.au

jtwebb

Visit site
Mine should arrive tomorrow 2 weeks after I ordered, I have paid the customs duty. Delivery only takes place after they have got the money and the website crashed twice so had to do it by phone.

wizard

Visit site
Now that I have built my kit and given it a bench test, all I can hear is a very, veryfaint clicking - is that sufficient indication that all is well? Can anyone advise, please? Thanks.

Welcome to the ultrasonic club - clicking is good - you are now in business!

jtwebb

Visit site
I have fitted mine and checked it is running OK with an oscilloscope, most interesting waveforms. I left it running with the battery charger off and it used 5Ah in a day.