Building a "doghouse"

Peter

Visit site
Building a \"doghouse\"

I’m, going to build “solid doghouse” (correct term for this structure?) for my yacht. Fabricated out of steel, steel constructed yacht. I’m looking for ideas thoughts etc on what type of windows to fit, perspex or glass in a frame. Would appreciate any comments on this subject, windows or building a “doghouse”. Thanks

Peter

Boathook

Visit site
Re: Building a \"doghouse\"

My only comments are that where possible used tougthened glass for the windows. Perspex is good but scratches very easily. Some of the windows on my boat are tougthened glass and around 22 years old, and they have taken some knocks over the years.

Strathglass

Visit site

If you wish to build a steel doghouse with glass windows look carefully at the effect of the weight at something like 6 feet above the waterline.
I removed such a structure from a 36 foot steel yacht and the increase in sailing ability and stability were dramatic.

BrianJ

Visit site

Peter...tell us why you have been relegated to the "doghouse" . What did you do to deserve this.?
Have a look at the van de stadt book , they have some good "doghouses"
BrianJ

G

Re: Building a "doghouse"

If you're ever going to cruise warm climates make sure one of the windows open.
On my own boat all the windows were fixed. In Northern waters that a good thing but in the Med we used to melt in the cockpit. Use toughend glass rather than perspex. Prespex doesn't last as well.
Also think about the area of each window. A smaller one is easier to blank off if it gets smashed. This has happened to me.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Stability

I'm with the poster below in being concerned about the effects on stability. Steel, obviously, is heavy and so is toughened glass. It might be worth doing a few sums to work out what your doghouse is going to weigh and then asking a friendly local naval architect to just look at the numbers and tell you if it's a problem (or maybe you can do it yourself with the right book).

One solution might be to build it, and to add more ballast internally or externally to counteract the effect of extra weight high above the waterline.