Bugs-some facts

DepSol

Visit site
Not all creatures we share the world with have the same physiology. There are microbes, which we will refer to as bugs, which can and do feed off of the hydrocarbons in your fuel. Like all micro-organisms they can multiply with astonishing speed. These bugs can double their population every half-hour or even faster.

Fuel bugs are real. The most common types found in petroleum products are Cladosporium Resinae and Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. This class of fuel eating microbes is known in the industry as Hydrocarbon Utilizing Microorganisms or H.U.M. bugs. There is nothing amusing about them.

Once H.U.M. bugs enter a fuel system and find a place to live (more about that later) they multiply with astonishing speed. As the bugs grow in number their bodies begin to take up space. They also produce waste products that float around in the fuel around them. The waste products are of course carbon molecules that can be abrasive. H.U.M. bugs are easy to spot as they quickly form what is called sludge, algae, or dark pasty crud. They can eat almost anything petroleum or hydrocarbon based: fuel, gaskets, seals, hoses and more!

If you would like to see some H.U.M. bugs look at the inside of a fuel tank. Look at your fuel filters. You may see H.U.M. bugs and their waste products. If so they need to be removed from your fuel. They will gum up and block your filter and then stall out your engine. The bugs and waste that do pass through your filter acts upon your engine just like normal particulate matter: they sand blast away at your engine's internals. These smaller particles cause meaningful and absolutely avoidable wear. Your fuel will also not burn as well which causes performance and fuel economy to suffer.

The cure for H.U.M. bugs is two-fold. Remove the ones you already have from your fuel system and do not give them a place to live.
H.U.M. bugs enter your fuel system through several means. When you take on fuel you are picking up bugs with your fresh load of fuel. Yes, the refining process pasteurizes fuel, but as it travels to where you bought it fuel is exposed to contaminated tanks, trucks, and fuel pipelines. Even if perfectly sterile fuel is pumped into your tanks the fuel is not safe yet. Bugs will enter your tanks and get to your fuel through your tank vents, water that drips into your tanks, the filter you just installed on your engine, or any other means by which a single microbe can contact your fuel.

H.U.M. bugs like all creatures need a place to live. H.U.M. bugs live and breed on the boundary layer where the water in your tanks meets your fuel. A few gallons of water can provide hundreds or even thousands of square feet of surface area capable of sustaining huge populations! Bugs CANNOT live in pure fuel. They must live in water. Take away the water in your fuel system and you will leave them with no place to live. Sounds too simple but it is true. Without water the bugs cannot live and multiply. Why do you think that the nefarious H.U.M. bug has not yet eaten the oil coming out of the oil wells after millions of years? NO WATER!

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

DepSol

Visit site
Just being informative, so many people dont even take fuel quality into consideration when they are looking for the cheapest price and some others dont understand how when and why contamination occurs.

An eye opener, maybe.

Dom

DepSol

Visit site
Nope, doubled in 2000, doubled that in 2001 and looking to double that in 2002.

Peoples awareness towards fuel is growing these days so its inevitable that the best products will sell more.

Dom

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Cant belive theres no water down the oil wells. Better ask our resident oil well expert Mr CC Scott. He'll know the answer.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

matt_lake

Visit site
In the past I have dosed any fuel taken onboard with the Starbrite fuel treatment which I'm guessing is just a biocide. Somebody mentioned in another thread that this can cause fuel tanks to rot. Should I be worried?

DepSol

Visit site
Some biocides are no more than glorified weed killer which can end up eroding your stainless steel tanks.

Dom

dave36

Visit site
At first I thought it was April 1st and then I checked my car - H U M bugs had spread from the glove box all over the carpets and seats, then I realised that my Grandson liked the look of H U M bugs but not the taste!

lanason

Visit site
I found the mail useful and interesting.

If your not interested then DONT read it.

Funny that - you made this post and then couldn't resist coming back to add more !!! Maybe your actually more intesteresting than you make out. ;-O

Carry on DOM !!!!!!!!

Adrian

I got a new Job !!!!!!

G

Re: Dom /CGN

Hi Dom a very informative piece which explains a lot. You mention that even though the fuel may leave the refinery clean it can pick up bugs from contaminated tanks on trucks and fuel pipe lines.

You further state that it actually lives in the water content, which suggests that there is water present in all fuel containers and pipelines, presumably from condensation etc. In short there is no way of ensuring that the fuel source one uses is gonna be bug free no matter what the price.

By the way stuck 200ml in each tank (90% full) last week before gonna down Thames,will check the seperators etc this weekend.

Final point as one has to put specific amount in each tank from one bottle i.e 100 or 200ml perhaps it would be helpful to have 100ml dividing lines on the plastic bottle just like on the 2 stroke oil containers from Castrol etc.

"The Med is calling me"

DepSol

Visit site
Re: Dom /CGN

We have a different bottle here in the Channel Islands as we saw this need earlier on. We have a little measuring system in the neck of the bottle so this can be done. Another thing we will probably change is the label as it doesnt say enough about killing the bug.

Let me know the results please.

Dom

burgundyben

Visit site
well said, those not interested can sod off.

Dom made the effort to post some useful information.

And my filters are all loverly and clean and they wern't before soltron.

add you sarcastic remark about someone elses tag line here.....

DepSol

Visit site
Have another good one on particle erosion but you'll have to take your head out of the sand first!

Dom

coliholic

Visit site
Well Dom, I have to say that was an enlightening post, and no I'm not taking the p**s.

Having been a bit of a "Dom lnocker" in the past I admit to succumbing and buying some at LBS and it was only two weeks ago that I got round to filling up the tank and dosed it with Soltron. Can't say anything about bug killing (don't know if I had bugs before so how would I know if it's killed 'em) or fuel consumption, on the river we don't exactly use a lot of fuel, but I can say it's noticeably less smokey on start up Seems to run smoother on tickover but that's a bit subjective really so better not make that claim.

So, put me down as a convert here Dom. So far results, for me, seem to be that it's better to use it than not.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ahh but Col. Need to try Millers diesel clean. They were brought up on ships engines. Stops smoke and get trilions of more miles to gallon. Infact Ive stopped Putting diesel in altogether. Just a dose of Millers diesel Clean every now and then. Diesel tank is now the size of a fairy liquid bottle!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn