Budget for replacement window frames Trintella 29

Valiant18

Visit site
I have just purchased a Trintella 29 in need of new aluminium window frames I am going to get a quote from the yard where she is currently ashore but does anyone have experience of fitting replacement windows & sourcing them - presumably the existing ones would need to be sent away to be copied?

Any ideas on the likely cost and recommendations on companies to use would be appreciated.

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

yoda

Visit site
Hi

I replaced 3 windows of this type on my Pioneer 9 and the total cost was about £360. They needed the old ones to copy, it takes time and you need to be very specific about what you want. When mine came out 2 of them appeared to be flat but they are actually curved. When the company told me they were waiting for the glass I told them in no uncertain terms what I needed was perspex. That said the windows arrived complete with fixings and were a snug fit (but a ba****d to fit!) Do not underestimate the time and effort to fit them. That said I can now see out and keep the water on the other side.

Try MWF and Technautic both in Burnham on Sea. I found Initial City Link very good as a courier and they took the windows which are 2 meters long no problem. PM me if you want more info.

Yoda

<hr width=100% size=1>

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Re: Flat or curved

On my Trident 24 when a Triplex window was broken I was told by the yard that the window was curved and it would cost a fortune to replace in glass so perspex was used. Later when I took out the other windows to rebed to stop leaks I discovered that though the windows curve when fitted when taken out they are straight/flat. In other words they are not so much curved as bent!

Re: aluminium window frames

The frames fitted to Tridents (circa 1969) were constructed in two halves joined together with a steel insert held in by grub screws. They corrode badly around the joint. I assume this is either due to the lack of anodising on the cut end or some sort of electolytic action between the steel and aluminium.

Several of these joints have decayed quite badly now and I am in the process of repairing with epoxy metal obtained from Wickes. Too soon to know how this will work out.

There are firms offering to overhaul windows but this only seems to apply to rebedding the glass, not repairing the frame.

Good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>