Brunton Autoprop and Hydraulic Drive

scroby

Visit site
I am currently fitting a new engine (Nanni 60HP) and due to engine compartment space restrictions am going for the Hydraulic Drive - no gearbox as such. Also, to improve performance, I'm fitting a Brunton Autoprop. My question is: do I need to fit a shaft brake to stop the Autoprop turning when the engine is stopped (no gearbox so can't leave in gear!) or is there sufficient hydraulic pressure in the pump / motor to resist any turning moment from the Autoprop. Would be interested to hear from any Hydraulic Drive users regarding how or if they need to lock their props when sailing, but particularly those with an Autoprop.
P.S. I am advised by both Brunton and Peachment (the Hyd Drive makers) that the Autoprop will 'probably' not turn when the engine is stopped - would appreciate feedback from actual users to support the engineers' theory.

WayneS

Visit site
Had a boat with a Hydraulic drive until earlier this year. If left in neutral the Gori folding prop would turn but selecting reverse did stop the rotation.

Cheers

Wayne

peterbringloe

Visit site
I too have a hydraulic gearbox and am fitting a folding prop (Flexifold). At boatshows over the years I've seen most folding and feathering props and the Brunton stand often has a shaft brake system set up along with its props. This is a disc brake system - usually with some method of preventing putting the gearbox in gear with the brake on! I think that the nature of the Brunton (variable pitch etc) means that a brake is necessary to stop the prop altogether. This doesn't mean that without a brake it wont fold, but it will probably still turn. Also, I have a water lubricated shaft seal and if it fails the emergency sealing procedure requires that the shaft does not turn and space doesn't permit a shaft brake. Which is why I'm going for the Flexifold. Also can't afford a Brunton!