Brum Boat and Camping show

Visit site
The only time I worked at this show was during one of the first.

We displayed an Azimut 50 and had queues going up the hall for 100m with almost every person wearing heavy gold chains and cygnet rings and asking in thick accents how many people could sleep on it. When I told them they looked at each other giggled and told me they could get more sleeping in their 5m Caravan.

A nice young man decided also to do a number 2 in the day heads which we had stupidly not taped up and then somehow vacuflush it over a nice family who were having a picnic at that side of the boat.

I haven't been to that show since.

Kipper

North West when I have to, North Wales when I can
Visit site
The only time I worked at this show was during one of the first.

We displayed an Azimut 50 and had queues going up the hall for 100m with almost every person wearing heavy gold chains and cygnet rings and asking in thick accents how many people could sleep on it. When I told them they looked at each other giggled and told me they could get more sleeping in their 5m Caravan.

A nice young man decided also to do a number 2 in the day heads which we had stupidly not taped up and then somehow vacuflush it over a nice family who were having a picnic at that side of the boat.

I haven't been to that show since.

Best thing for them.

However I always ended up buying something in the swindlers sales which used to be very good.

ian38_39

Visit site
Last couple of years the swindlery has been woeful.

Live 2 minutes from the place but after going the last 3 years will not be going this year.

Would be nice to see the show succeed in Birmingham as you do get a totally different catchment to the Coastal shows but have a feeling this year will be a tough one.

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
Last couple of years the swindlery has been woeful.

Live 2 minutes from the place but after going the last 3 years will not be going this year.

Would be nice to see the show succeed in Birmingham as you do get a totally different catchment to the Coastal shows but have a feeling this year will be a tough one.

Agreed, we've not missed it for years, but we're not likely to go this time. I reckon it'll be even worse that last years. We went with a list of items we wanted and only managed to but one of them.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
I have been most years - I like mooching around the caravan swindleries and buying things half as much as the boat swindleries.

Last year I won two tickets from this very forum and had a great time.

But it was spoiled by me buying a Horizon plotter from Mailspeed Marine and then waiting for months and months for them to produce the map card I had paid for and the extra mount I had ordered.

Unless I am in the area, I won't be spending £15.50 - up £1.50 on last year - to see a limited number of boats.

I am always surprised how they manage to price people out of not going and then have the exhibitors say there were not enough people to justify the money to exhibit the next year.

Mad Darwinism.

Make it £7 and I will happily spend the £40 on diesel to get me there and back.

I was so looking forward to the Liverpool boat show. :mad:

Last edited:

alanlib

Visit site
This will probably be the last of these shows anyway, an new event has just been announced for Excel in 2012 run by the caravan council.

All the major caravan & motorhome manufacturers and dealers have apparently signed up for this already so I can't see the Birmingham organisers running a rival event without these on-board.

There probably wont be a boating element at the new show either as it will be run by the Caravan council.

Alan

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
This will probably be the last of these shows anyway, an new event has just been announced for Excel in 2012 run by the caravan council.

All the major caravan & motorhome manufacturers and dealers have apparently signed up for this already so I can't see the Birmingham organisers running a rival event without these on-board.

There probably wont be a boating element at the new show either as it will be run by the Caravan council.

Alan

I reckon that'll be a big mistake. The central location is ideal for caravanners, many wont bother to go to Excel imho.

alanlib

Visit site
I reckon that'll be a big mistake. The central location is ideal for caravanners, many wont bother to go to Excel imho.

The new organisers have just taken over the October Caravan & Motorhome show at the NEC and now want a similar event in the south.

But I agree the logistics of getting to Excel will be a recipe for disester

Alan