Bruce Roberts Owners out there?

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Is there anybody there ? In particular the Mauritius and Norfolk boats

There are probably thousands of these boats out on the oceans of the world and an equal amount propped up in forgotten corners of yards from Sydney to Skegness.

But can I find an owners group ? Can I hell ! Loads of correspondance on the various forums with the usual mixed bag of opinions being aired.

10 years ago when I bought my Halberdier ketch, I found a similar lack of contact between owners, so set up the 'Halberdiers Owners Group' on Yahoo. Great sucess, and pretty much all the Halbs ever built have been tracked down, almost all the owners are now members and a focal point for informed knowledge of the 'marque' established. Importantly it has also stabilised prices, and reassured potential purchasers.

I have now bought a BR Mauritius 43 and am either looking to find an owners group, (so far no luck), or if there are even a few interested parties out there to form a 'core', I'm prepared to spend a little time setting up an Owners Group.

I hasten to add that this would be wholly separate and totally independent from the BR website and have no commercial intentions of any kind.

So, any takers? Have a look at the link below for the Halberdiers Group, obviously access is limited unless one has been clicked aboard the Group, but you can see the general idea.

The Yahoo Group is pretty basic but it is easy to use and has simple database, messaging and photo storage... also I'm very familiar how it all works.

Interested ? Contact me by PM or reply to this Thread.

All best and roll on summer !

Nick.

Mauritius 43 'Thesius'

Jassira

www.jassira.com
Bruce Roberts Owners Group

Hi Nick

I have a Bruce Roberts 53ft cutter (www.jassira.com) I've owned her for about 10 years and plan to sail off into the sunset in the not to distant future.
An owners group could be great, there must be a fair few of us, and like you, I've never found one.

cheers
Nigel

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Hi Nigel

Well you can be member nr 3...!

Getting the first few members on board is the most difficult bit, after a while and with a bit of activity it starts to appear on the search engines.

Anyway take a look at...

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/brucerobertsyachtowners/

And click the join group button.

I also bought the Mauritus as a retirement venture, my previous boat, the Halberdier was just a little to small. I hope this one is as good a boat as the last one !

Where do you keep your BR ?

All best Nick

mikehibb

Visit site
There is a BR 43 in Yalikavak Harbour in Turkey (the town harbour as opposed to the marina)
Elderly couple sold up everything to move to south america, Villa and Boat. Well they actually moved and left everything up for sale. The boat is still there, Jamila I think she is called.
Will aske about her next week when I am over there again.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
I have just been asked to look into selling a 53 for a client in the Caribbean.
If anyone can point me in the direction of some generic detail of the 53 whilst I wait for the details to wing their way to me I would be grateful.

(might even buy you a pint at the boatshow too;))

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Hi John

Well this is the link to the Bruce Roberts web site:

http://www.bruceroberts.com/

But its not a lot of use ! Which is the reason for my suggestion to set up a BR Yachts Owners Group.

This is now done, and the link is:

We now have 2 members ! But given the amount of B R Owners and Builders out there on the oceans and boat yards of the world I'm hoping to attract a few more in due course.

Did you notice the poster before you has a BR 53 Cutter ?

If you want to join the 'Group' and correspond via it, it will all help with raising awareness..

BTW very best of luck with the brokerage..well done

Best regards

Nick [BR Mauritius 43 'Thesius']

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
There is a BR 43 in Yalikavak Harbour in Turkey (the town harbour as opposed to the marina)
Elderly couple sold up everything to move to south america, Villa and Boat. Well they actually moved and left everything up for sale. The boat is still there, Jamila I think she is called.
Will aske about her next week when I am over there again.

Hi Mike.. Thats interesting about a Villa and Boat for sail...sort of thing that gets my 'sniff a bargain antenna' twitching.

Certainly on the Halberdiers Owners Group Forum we get a great many sales leads and enquiries from people looking specifically for Halberdiers. I guess because they are relatively few (only about 30 pro built versions ) but very well thought of, potential owners tend to find us early on if they are doing a web search.

I'm hoping that now we can have a similar success reaching out to Bruce Roberts Owners. It just amazes me that there is not already an Owners Club or Group in place, after all there a 1000s of BR yachts out there !

When I bought my BR Mauritius a month or 2 back there was virtually no information of any sort about the boats available on the web... and what there was was of very little use !

Reports from people who have contacted BR tend to report that they get little or no assistance unless they are looking to purchase from BR. (That is based on hearsay only I hasten to add.)

All best

Nick [BR Mauritius 43]

Jassira

www.jassira.com
Hi Jassira

Nice looking boat yr 53... where are you based ?

BTW I've just clicked you aboard the 'Group'

All best

Nick

BR Mauritius 43 'Thesius'

Hi Nick
Jassira is a bit homeless right now, currently on the hard in Hayling Island, she was in Poole for 5 or 6 years, but the new bridge is due to go right her old mooring so we got evicted and spent this season in Portland.. Where she goes when she goes back in is yet to be decided, maybe if the winter refit goes well I'll just sail off into the sunset :)

jonic

www.jryachts.com
I still haven't found much in the way of generic information but the details of the 53 have started to arrive and can be found here. Interior looks fantastic.

douglas_family

Visit site
I have just been asked to look into selling a 53 for a client in the Caribbean.
If anyone can point me in the direction of some generic detail of the 53 whilst I wait for the details to wing their way to me I would be grateful.

(might even buy you a pint at the boatshow too;))

I think its 53" LOA

looking forward to seeing you soon

douglas_family

Visit site
[QUOTE How are you adjusting to life ashore?[/QUOTE]

Were very settled now but I miss the sailing a lot. I went to isle of white UKSA recently to do yachtmasters and had fantastic week, but it really brought home how mutch I miss being on the water!

Mlanje

Visit site
Looking for Mlanje

Hi

I am looking to find a yacht my father built in 1990. The yacht is a 53 ft Bruce Roberts Cutter, steel hull. It was first registered with Lloyds London and it was then sold in 1998 to James W Barrett (from New Orleans, LA) and it will have been reregistered in the US at that time. The yacht's original name was Mlanje. It would be lovely to find her again and I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on how I might be able to do that.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
We to are the unfortunate owners of a BR 45 built in South Africa. Biggest mistake of our lifes!!

John

Yes I'm interested to hear more....Bit of a profound statement that ! Was it the wrong boat, badly built boat, to big or small, sail badly, or just the wrong life style ?

Was it one of the GRP 45ft hulls with the ply and epoxy decks.. I've seen a couple of those from SA ?

Regards Nick