Bruce Roberts Owners out there?

jimiboy

www.
BR 44

Hi all,
I have just bought a share in a steel built Norfolk 43, and will own her outright in 3 years (just in time to retire!)
I would be happy to join the proposed owners club, but don't want to get involved in a 'Yahoo' account.
I contacted BR himself earlier today asking if he could provide a layout plan of the vessel at reasonable cost. He replied within minutes, offering me the CD containing full construction information for just under 400 euros, so needless to say, I am still looking for a layout diagram.

Jim

Last edited:

Mauritius Steel 44

www.magellanyachts.com
Bruce Roberts Owner's Group

I bought a steel Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43 a year ago and have fallen in love with her (a dangerous and time consuming affair). Built in Bellingham, Washington in 1978 by a mad engineer who sailed her, with his spouse, around the world for 20 years. 40 GT, 350 gallons fuel, Lehman Marine 80, full king aft etc.. I am a charter captain who has sailed a thousand boats but have never seen one as complicated as this one. I previously owned a Passport 42. My intention is to restore her. She is basically sound. I am in the process of stripping the paint off of the steel pilot house and restoring the original teak. I swore I would never buy another big sailboat but you know what they say about "good intentions".
I am interested in your owners group. I don't have a yahoo email but could get one. My vitals can be found on www.magellanyachts.com

ianj99

Visit site
Is there anybody there ? In particular the Mauritius and Norfolk boats

There are probably thousands of these boats out on the oceans of the world and an equal amount propped up in forgotten corners of yards from Sydney to Skegness.

But can I find an owners group ? Can I hell ! Loads of correspondance on the various forums with the usual mixed bag of opinions being aired.

10 years ago when I bought my Halberdier ketch, I found a similar lack of contact between owners, so set up the 'Halberdiers Owners Group' on Yahoo. Great sucess, and pretty much all the Halbs ever built have been tracked down, almost all the owners are now members and a focal point for informed knowledge of the 'marque' established. Importantly it has also stabilised prices, and reassured potential purchasers.

I have now bought a BR Mauritius 43 and am either looking to find an owners group, (so far no luck), or if there are even a few interested parties out there to form a 'core', I'm prepared to spend a little time setting up an Owners Group.

I hasten to add that this would be wholly separate and totally independent from the BR website and have no commercial intentions of any kind.

So, any takers? Have a look at the link below for the Halberdiers Group, obviously access is limited unless one has been clicked aboard the Group, but you can see the general idea.

The Yahoo Group is pretty basic but it is easy to use and has simple database, messaging and photo storage... also I'm very familiar how it all works.

Interested ? Contact me by PM or reply to this Thread.

All best and roll on summer !

Nick.

Mauritius 43 'Thesius'

Please add me to you group. I bought my BR 36 in Dec 2009, aged 30, two previous owners each having had her for 15years.
The first commisioned the steel hull from Colonial Craft of Ulverston in 1978 for the princely sum of £6000 and transported overland to Jordans of Bridlington to be completed. This cost £35,000 in 1980.

The internal layout is not ideal for living aboard but the foam sprayed steel provides are warm dry interior free from condensation and mildew.

The heavy old girl sail well and the Perkins 4108 pushed her along at hull speed at 2400rpm thanks to a 17" Kiwi prop. The twin chines keep the cockpit very dry so the pilot house helm is rarely used.

Well done Mr Roberts, another great design.
Ian

grandpaboat

Visit site
Hi Nick,

We have owned a Roberts Norfolk 43 since 2003 and would be interested in joining your owners group, however I'm wary of joining the Yahoo group. When I tried to sign up using my hotmail address I was asked for my password which I am reluctant to give.
Please advise if I can join without the above issues.

Kind regards,

Roger.

Norfolk 43 Pendle Mischief.

AndrewB

Visit site
I owned a BR38 for 20 years, during that time I've seen several BR forums come and wither away through lack of interest. There was even an American one that BR himself patronised, which folded about 15 years ago.

Good luck, but BR owners are independent spirits!