Bronze/brass cleaning

rogrog

Visit site
Any suggestions on how to clean Bronze/brass Portholes without removing them would be much appreciated. We have 9 of them around the aft cabin on our trawleryacht (a Eurobanker) and they are all green and look really uncared for, we've tried various polishes but nothing really works especially around the hinges and screw locks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day rogrog,

Try cutting a lemon, dip it in some salt and gently rub, clean off with warm fresh water and a little soap.

Hope this helps. . . . . .

Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

WayneS

Visit site
Saw a guy on a longboat in the Thames use Viakal (Lime Scale Remover). Worked a treat. He had so much brass on his boat that I'm sure he knew what he was doing.

Cheers

Wayne

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
If you're prepared to sit there polishing each one for a couple of months, Brasso will do it.

Failing that, can I suggest a lint/ foam pad and arbour to go in an electric drill or angle grinder. Then use a polishing compound like G3 paste (from Screwfix) or some similar fine metal polish abrasive. That'll do the same job as the Brasso, but a good deal quicker, and while in situ if you're careful. The bits missed by the power polisher can then be done by hand for comparatively little effort.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
If its green it's probably bronze and cleaning it will turn into a Forth Bridge job... you will never stop polishing. I tried all sorts of potions to stop the bronze on my boat going off, from laquer to lanolin.
In the end I let it weather naturally. I quite like the look of green fairleads with shiny bits where the lines rub, but that's me.
Seriously, if you want shiny bits be prepared to spend hours a week on the upkeep.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
Tomato ketchup works a treat. But dont scrape it off and use it on the egg and chips afterwards.

<hr width=100% size=1>