broken seacock raw water cooling

G

snapped the little brass pipe that goes into the rubber tube that goes into engine. this might sound stupid but can i unscrew top part of seacock and fit new tail hose or do i have to replace the whole lot. the boat is in the water. thanks for any advice.

G

Happened to me too, last year. The hose is normally attached to an extension pipe which is easily removed and replaced, without the need for a lift out.

Be careful how you remove the old one. Don't disturb the seacock when you twist. The seacock may be leaky, so be ready with a bung if necessary. Wrap PTFE tape around the thread of the new pipe before attaching it to the seacock, and preferably use new stainless Jubilee clips to attach the hose.

Why did the pipe snap? Did it get brittle due to loss of zinc? If so and if the seacock/skinfitting is also bronze or brass, it may be similarly affected, in which case it really should be replaced as well. Look for tell-tale signs of a coppery colour on the inside.

G

oh cheers, been panicking. the old one had gone really thin and i was trying to tighten it too much i think. dave

G

Hi dave! If you do have to remove the skin fitting see my previous posting on grinding off skin fittings there is an easy way. take care Regards Rob

G

WHY did it go thin?

Sounds like electrolysis trouble. I'd get her out of the water and sort it out fully - pronto.