Brits in Brittany

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Baffled.

You are not going to Alderney because you can't fathom the on-line Travel Tracker. I did, and can agree with you it is very difficult and maybe impossible in some circumstances with only a mobile.

Post for the 1331, on the the other hand, is simple, available to all and reliable.

I don’t understand why you’re baffled. I haven’t got a printer on board so if we were to overcome the Guernsey travel form difficulties we would then need to fill out a C1331. There has been talk about it going online this year, but it hasn’t happened yet.
I have made a note to print off a few copies when back home to keep on board.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Friends from the east coast have just brought their boat back from the Baltic - their retirement dreams shattered by Brexit! They flew to Hamburg to join the boat and sailed back down the coast to Calais where they went in search of the frontier police to check out of Schengen. They found the relevant officer at the ferry port but on checking their passports it turned out that one of them had not been stamped in at Hamburg airport. "There are large fines for travelling in Schengen without an entry stamp" the policeman informed them. As it was obvious that they had both arrived at a major airport on a scheduled flight he made a note in the relevant passport and checked them out of France. So the procedures are not perfect even at major international airports.

Visit site
Maybe Brits have had a taste of the nouvelle attitude of our erstwhile Gallic friends. Until this year I kept a boat in France for 10 years and had visited annually since the 80s. Anyone who doesn't accept that the French now openly dislike the British is delusional. I sold a boat through a French broker in July, with whom I'd dealt before, and even as a client the once genial banter was notably absent and replaced with a distinctly chilly atmosphere which occasionally erupted into baffled enquiries concerning the UK's approach to diplomatic issues. Even the unfortunate Dutchman who tried to communicate in English in the Capitainarie was treated with disdain until his true nationality was realised.
Personally, though I speak French to A level standard, I'd refuse to use anything but German with them, as it infuriates them for some reason.

Visit site
But as far as I can see the passenger locator form is only available online - I searched for a hard copy version which of course, if I posted it in France, would probably arrive in the UK 4-6 days after my arrival in the boat and it must be submitted 48 hours before arrival... As for the C1331 I resent being asked to post something on arrival in the UK as I do not have any UK stamps and no way of getting them plus I need to find a post box and there is not necessarily one in a marina. it is archaic!
Stamps? How about always keeping a few in your wallet like I do? Mainly for postcards on hols.

Bobc

Visit site
I was chatting to the chap who edits and updates the RCC pilot for the Biscay coast, and he said that he had not seen a single British yacht which had come over from the UK for a holiday this summer. The only British boats he's seen were ones which are based in France.

st599

Visit site
You will need to fill out a form in the marina office on arrival. The local French boarder force (Port Police) will be informed of your arrival and theoretically they will travel to the marina and stamp your passports and stamp you out to conform with the 90/180 day rule although I suspect in high summer they will not bother - that is locally not a national policy....

As of next year, it's meant to be automated on a central system. I doubt they'll just not bother, and if they do, exiting by public transport could be interesting.

People have moaned that the UK exit and entry C1331 has to be posted but in my view that is a benefit. It's easy to write exactly what you want on a written form and it can't be turned away. It's also easy to be absolutely certain that your notice can be posted, on time, in a typical 2 day window.

UK is moving to an online form - some of the Beta testers have been posting on this forum. C1331 check-in and check-out system to be replaced - Yachting Monthly

With the apparent likelyhood of eased restrictions and the availability of a longer stay visa for 90 euros, we're planning to be off back to France next year, looking forward to it.

90 Euros, plus health insurance and proof of immediately available funds - which for 6 months is in the region of 20 grand. (120 euros per day if you haven't booked hotels)

doug748

Visit site

Lightwave395

Visit site
90 Euros, plus health insurance and proof of immediately available funds - which for 6 months is in the region of 20 grand. (120 euros per day if you haven't booked hotels)

Quite happy with the funds to support us, the 'new' UKGHIC is acceptable as health insurance for stays of less than 6 months, more than 6 months requires private health insurance (and potentially the payment of French tax as a resident) . A French marina contract also obviates the no hotel issue, we would not stay for more than 3-4 months Spring / summer and a maybe a few weeks to a month in the Autumn. Wasn't much to ask of the sh1tshower in charge here...

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I was chatting to the chap who edits and updates the RCC pilot for the Biscay coast, and he said that he had not seen a single British yacht which had come over from the UK for a holiday this summer. The only British boats he's seen were ones which are based in France.

Same here (Southern Finistere)

st599

Visit site
Quite happy with the funds to support us, the 'new' UKGHIC is acceptable as health insurance for stays of less than 6 months, more than 6 months requires private health insurance (and potentially the payment of French tax as a resident) . A French marina contract also obviates the no hotel issue, we would not stay for more than 3-4 months Spring / summer and a maybe a few weeks to a month in the Autumn. Wasn't much to ask of the sh1tshower in charge here...

The marina doesn't remove the requirement of proof of funds. The wording on the FAQ sent when we applied for some work visas was 120 Euros per day without pre-booked hotel accomodation, 65 Euros per day with pre-booked hotels.

Lightwave395

Visit site
The marina doesn't remove the requirement of proof of funds. The wording on the FAQ sent when we applied for some work visas was 120 Euros per day without pre-booked hotel accomodation, 65 Euros per day with pre-booked hotels.
I didn't say it did remove the proof of funds requirement, what it does do is reduce it from the 'without pre-booked accomodation' amount, which as I also said thankfully is not a problem for us. The French marina company (both CCI Métropolitaine Bretagne Ouest and Compagnie des ports du Morbihan), say in terms of visiting, a berthing contract is equivalent to a second home (as long as the contract is current of course)

It was always going to be a PITA after the 'B' thing but the attraction of us and our boat being in Brittany is, for us, worth the admin inconvenience

Allan

Visit site
I've not read this whole thread.
In about March of this year, I had loads of the yacht club March conversations,
"What are your plans for the year?"
"We've decided not to go to France, we'll leave it for others to sort out the problems." We'll be going to the west county"
This happened over and over! Low and behold, the west country was full and this thread is on here.
I wonder what's going to happen next year?
Allan

doug748

Visit site
I've not read this whole thread.
In about March of this year, I had loads of the yacht club March conversations,
"What are your plans for the year?"
"We've decided not to go to France, we'll leave it for others to sort out the problems." We'll be going to the west county"
This happened over and over! Low and behold, the west country was full and this thread is on here.
I wonder what's going to happen next year?
Allan

I'm going to the Solent, heard it was going to be quiet.

Zing

Visit site
Personally, though I speak French to A level standard, I'd refuse to use anything but German with them, as it infuriates them for some reason.
That sounds like a fun game I could play being trilingual also. I remember my French teacher at school ranting about the Germans. He hated them with a passion. He was a Free French fighter in WW2 and had some horrific wartime tales. Perhaps that is where it comes from.