Brits having a hard time in AC?

dunedin

Visit site
As a matter of interest, how are the foils moved around? Are they allowed an engine (or a battery) to power hydraulics or does everything have to be operated by human power?

I think there are about 3 crew who sail the boat - helm, wing trimmer and foil / flight control. The rest are winch gorillas who are winching all the time, not to pull ropes but to power the hydraulic systems. I think that unlike the previous generation, some form of stored energy is allowed - ie they can capture their winching effort ahead of the manoeuvre (but going from memory so may be wrong).

garvellachs

Visit site
Commentary suggested everything below water is battery powered via hydraulics, everything above is manual, though I'm not sure about the rudder steering.

Bobc

Visit site
I think there are about 3 crew who sail the boat - helm, wing trimmer and foil / flight control. The rest are winch gorillas who are winching all the time, not to pull ropes but to power the hydraulic systems. I think that unlike the previous generation, some form of stored energy is allowed - ie they can capture their winching effort ahead of the manoeuvre (but going from memory so may be wrong).
I believe that stored energy in batteries is only allowed to be used for the foils. All rig adjustment has to come from direct "man" power.

Chae_73

Visit site
Another thing I was wondering, is the mainsail trimmed by a human or by a computer?

The traveller car is moving constantly, in a way that suggests more than human input.

Resolution

Visit site
Another thing I was wondering, is the mainsail trimmed by a human or by a computer?

The traveller car is moving constantly, in a way that suggests more than human input.
Surely any decent racer is going to have constant adjustment of the mainsail, both by mainsheet and by the traveller?:unsure:

Laser310

Visit site
Well, I watched all of the AC World Series races.

The racing is not actually all that compelling. I am pretty sure I will watch the actual cup no matter what, but I hope it gets more interesting.

The INEOS situation is not hopeless, but is nearly so. The ray of hope is that when they are going, they are often just a fast as anyone else. Nevertheless, their problems are enormous, and it seems late in the game to be so far behind everyone else in terms of ability to get foiling. It's hard to imagine how smart people could get it so wrong. I wish them luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Mudisox

Visit site
"The racing is not actually all that compelling. I am pretty sure I will watch the actual cup no matter what, but I hope it gets more interesting."

I have wet paint more interesting.

Laser310

Visit site
I'm just wondering how this is achieved. I don't see anyone with a rope in their hands.

i'm pretty sure both the traveler and the leech tension are hydraulic - the grinders are providing the pressure for the hydraulic reservoir, and some one is operating the valves

Ravi

Visit site
I'm just wondering how this is achieved. I don't see anyone with a rope in their hands.
I think that I recollect that one of the boats had some sort of control built into the edge of the wheel that allowed the helmsman to control the traveller.

It was either to control the traveller or the volume on the kids' consoles in the back. I don't know. Two weeks is a long time to remember things at my age even without Xmas, lockdown , Hogmanay and the associated sherries.

Laser310

Visit site
I think that I recollect that one of the boats had some sort of control built into the edge of the wheel that allowed the helmsman to control the traveller.

It was either to control the traveller or the volume on the kids' consoles in the back. I don't know. Two weeks is a long time to remember things at my age even without Xmas, lockdown , Hogmanay and the associated sherries.

It's common for hydraulic systems to have controls in more than one place

I have sailed quite a lot on some large catamarans with hydraulic main sheets - the control buttons are located in several places.., and sometimes there is also a wireless remote that can be carried around the boat. It's important on these boats to always have the main close at hand, so that it can be dumped if the boat gets a bit wound up, otherwise capsize is possible.

If I recall.., during the AC world series races, we heard the crew discussing the transfer of responsibility for the traveler during tacks and gybes - "my traveler.." was a typical comment. I think it was the helmsman taking over after he got settled in his new position.., indicating that the wheel might be one of the locations where it can be controlled

langstonelayabout

Visit site
What is technology ? is F1 high tech ?

What is interesting was yesterday they were touching 50 kts with around 15 kt wind, can we learn, could we transfer some sail knowledge to normal yachts ?
]

No. Don’t want or need it. Who’s going to be first to sail up the Medina past Cowes and to the Folly at 45 knots in their Westerly Konsort? It would only be funny for some!

matt1

Visit site
Fingers crossed. Let’s hope they are on the pace in the lighter airs too. Otherwise we will have to hope it’s strong winds and rely on Ben’s famous aggression on the water :)

Laser310

Visit site
]

No. Don’t want or need it. Who’s going to be first to sail up the Medina past Cowes and to the Folly at 45 knots in their Westerly Konsort? It would only be funny for some!

There are plenty of boards and small boats that foil. I have a windsurfing foil...

New York Yacht Club has a fleet of 33ft foiling trimarans - the TF10. These were designed to be sailed by non-pro sailors, and are being raced by old guys - 60-70 years old. Their crew are typically not that old though.

TF10 Class Association

TLouth7

Visit site
As a matter of interest, how are the foils moved around? Are they allowed an engine (or a battery) to power hydraulics or does everything have to be operated by human power?

The foil lift system is one design, provided by the Kiwis. It uses stored energy. The alleged late delivery of software updates was cause of some tension after the first day of racing.