Bristol Festival and the Nightmare Journey Home

A

Alcyone

Just as a matter of interest, what was the strength and direction of the wind during this, and what was forecast? As a newbie, it's a bit daunting going into the channel hearing so many horror storied from last weekend.

PCUK

Visit site
Lizzy,
I appreciate the point regarding SWMBO, this is never mentioned in sialing manuals! Perhaps you need a Mobo, or can use fuel prices as the excuse for having a boat that heels instead.

My sailing experience on 'big boats' was learned on school trips to the Norfolk Broads at Easter every year. Heavy old gaffers with quant poles for auxiliary power! Sailing across Oulton Broad in a force eight blizzard and having to moor alongside under sail when you're fourteen made me what I am today - a devoted mobo'er!!!!!!!!

Wotayottie.
I'm not doubting you but are sailing boats really so badly designed that they don't perform in bad weather? I thought it was a matter of reefing and trimming to suit the conditions. When we went to the BCYA do the other weekend we were suffering from a sharp force three on the beam when I noticed a yacht thundering along and well heeled but appearing to be far more comfortable than we were.

Longshanks

Visit site
As an ex-Bristol Channeler, let me jump in if I may. Strong wind over big spring tide, and at low water is a nightmare in the B.C...no getting away from it!

Wottayottie said:

"Finally, I have yet to sail a sailing boat that wont get directly upwind faster under engine than it will do by tacking, so the fastest way out of the discomfort can often be to use the donkey".

I think is the major reason most people motor to windward...let's get it over with as quick as possible. Although many years ago I was on a Fulmar 32 tacking up the W.Solent from Hurst against a strong n.easterly. Everyone else was motoring straight into it. We crossed the rest the the bunch on every tack i.e. we made the same progress to windward as they did. But we did have a) 4-5 strong crew on board b) the correct choice of sails for the conditions. So it can be done, and is more comfortable than bashing head to wind, especially with a small engine as we have. We drop to about 3 knots with F4-5 on the nose under engine, so have to (motor) sail our way out of these situations. In fact the combination of both engine and sail works very well for us when tacking to windward in a chop.

So, Lizzie D, get at least the genoa unfurled if you can and give that engine some help from the start. It'll make a big difference in our experience.

tangomoon

Visit site
You and all onboard are back safe

That's what counts

Nice to be able to sit and contemplate the

Should I have done...

What if....

I could have....

While racked with guilt and embarrassment!

We're all taking in the information too!

Definitely practice the sailing up to the mooring bit

People say I look like a mad man with three sheets in my hands and the tiller between my legs while ducking under the boom (an accident waiting to happen - again)

BOL & well done

Allan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So, Lizzie D, get at least the genoa unfurled if you can and give that engine some help from the start. It'll make a big difference in our experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you say the genoa, when going to windward I would always use the main (reefed) to help the motor. My reasons being:
1. It will give weather helm, making the boat easier to handle.
2. It is normaly a better way to reduce rolling.
3. With the boom on the centreline it will normal head closer to wind.
I would be interested in hearing your comments.
Allan

Saguday

Visit site
Yes, agreed, that's what I would do but it might depend on the boat. Genoa only tends to blow the bow away from the wind in my experience. We have a cutter now, though, so tend to reef main and use staysail to keep balanced.

LizzyD, thanks for the post, very well written, open and honest. Don't think you have anything to have regrets about, everyone back safely especially SWMBO = result.

I haven't been in the BC in those conditions but I can imagine what it might be like. We did go out in the Wallet on the East Coast in something similar and it was horrendous. Short steep chop and impossible to find a "line" through the wave pattern. Tried to sail - couldn't. Tried to motor sail - couldn't. Tried to motor - couldn't (worst of all three IIRC). It's the only time in 16 years of sailing that SWMBO has been seasick, in fact both the kids were too and I found myself the only one in control of the boat. We didn't put a call out but we did return to Shotley post haste and waited a day before trying again (we had that luxury at least).

Glad you enjoyed Bristol (music excepted) and gladderer you made it back ok.

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

graham

Visit site
Great storey to read ,probably not so amusing at the time though.

At the end of the day you got in safely and the lifeboatmans kids got to watch the DVDs dad thought were well hidden /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Its not possible to sail a heavy cruising yacht through the locks so you would have needed a tow from someone.An inexperienced skipper in the towing boat could have caused all kinds of damage so better to let the experts deal with it .

Personally I hate motoring into a headsea,even if you have to put ten tacks in you will still get back from Bristol before the tide turns and have a much more comfortable ride.If you have to motor a reefed main sheeted in hard amidships will allow you to tack about 30° to the wind and this is a better angle to go over big seas anyway .Head on is way too stressfull on boat and crew.

Hope your next trip is more enjoyable.

bluedragon

Visit site
I think the point might have been that unfurling at least a little genoa is safer than going up on deck to get the main up, and better than nothing. Our boat sails very well to windward under genoa alone (also a long keel), BUT at an appropriate size (ie, not fully unfurled in strong winds). Might not be quite as close winded as having the main up as well (or alone) but as a motor-sailing combination, yes it does work. There was quite a long thread on this on one of the YBW forums a few days back. It's a fairly common combination, but I guess it does depend on the boat and sail plan. Small main / big genoa, or vice versa, and underwater profile.

Longshanks

Visit site
Ah yes...works for us, but not on all boats, especially more modern hull designs. Try it though, you might be surprised. Better to say "unfurl / raise some sail" probably. Actually we often unfurl the genny first when setting off, get on the wind, then raise the main with the boom out to leeward. Works well with drop bag systems. Much more comfortable than pitching into a head sea under engine. I've never come anyone else that does this though.

LizzyD

Visit site
Hi everyone.

Thanks again for the comments. Firstly, I am always ready to learn and if in a similar situation again, I'll try the main versus genoa thing again. I must admit, I saw other boats sailing and although I have had a sailer for over 10 years, I'm still learning. I think that if it's a head wind in my direction, with an aopposing tide, I will need to give greater consideration before setting off, although once again, many other boats got into trouble the day after too. I think the weather was just particularly horrible.

Secondly, someone asked for feedback concerning the cause of the engine failure? I can confirm that it was a defective thermostat which made the engine overheat. It has since been removed and the engine is fine again now. Lizzy went back on her pontoon space from where we were towed by Cardiff Harbour Authority last Sunday and I'm looking forward to going back out on her again.

Take care all,

Lizzy D
/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif