Brexit Extension

ANDY_W

Visit site
I just want make sure that I'm reading things correctly.

Like some on here, I am a summer liveaboard and up to now was planning to bring the boat back to the UK this summer because of the 90 in 180 day rule.

Now, with the extension, the possibility of a WTO Brexit is remote until the end of October and the only remaining possibilities until then are withdrawal of Article 50 or a deal. In the event of a deal, there would be a transition period of 20 months or so during which UK citizens would retain free movement rights.

Thus, this summer is business as usual, and if a deal is reached before October, next summer also.

So, no worries until the end of October?

macd

Visit site
In the event of a deal, there would be a transition period of 20 months or so during which UK citizens would retain free movement rights.

What you suggest is correct except that reports state that the transition period would still end in Dec 2020, so rather less than 20 months in the event of an halloween agreed brexit. That's no doubt extendable by mutual agreement, just as A50 has proved to be, but is the situation as it now stands.

As I'm sure you understand, but not everyone does, the 90-in-180 refers expressly to people and is nothing to do with boats.

Visit site
What you suggest is correct except that reports state that the transition period would still end in Dec 2020, so rather less than 20 months in the event of an halloween agreed brexit. That's no doubt extendable by mutual agreement, just as A50 has proved to be, but is the situation as it now stands.

As I'm sure you understand, but not everyone does, the 90-in-180 refers expressly to people and is nothing to do with boats.

In the old days boats had to leave every six months.We used to take them to Ayamonte, obtain receipt, enjoy dinner and return the following day.