Breton Cap?

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Nothing wrong with Breton caps ... wore mine this morning, long walk down the pontoon, blowing very cold wind, warm as toast. Never mind what you look like, they work. In fact, it wouldn't really have mattered because the only people I saw this morning were all French!

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Baseball caps, in my experience, are poorly made, have a cold spot at the back and have minimal insulating properties. In winter a good tweed flat cap does the job most of the time, in summer a wide brimmed hat like a Tilley. I would have no problem wearing a Breton cap, style wise or red trousers.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Indeed however it has to be said that the Musto caps are very well made. Not cheap, by baseball cap standards though

I don't think I have tried one but all the baseball caps that make it on to the boat seem to disolve, rust or wear through, sometimes all three in a season. I like a hat with a story to it, a bit of a history.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I don't think I have tried one but all the baseball caps that make it on to the boat seem to disolve, rust or wear through, sometimes all three in a season. I like a hat with a story to it, a bit of a history.

Well, my Musto caps have been around a bit now and are still going strong after several years

Romeo

Visit site
..... I like a hat with a story to it, a bit of a history.

You need one of these then:

horatio_nelson_first_viscount.jpg

jimmyk

Visit site
Wearing mine now in the front room. Kids bought me a very nice Saint James one from Arthur Beale. I wore it on playground duty today. From the kids comments I don't think they will catch on with the under 16s. But do I care. Do I buggery.

Hydrozoan

Visit site
My copy of ‘Practical Yachting Hints’ by the late Francis B. Cooke (date unknown - it takes the form of letters of advice to a novice) contains these nuggets of sartorial advice:

‘…there is nothing better for sailing than a grey flannel suit …’

‘If you wear trousers on board they should not have “turn-ups” …’

‘… I wore a yachting cap until I was mistaken by an old lady for a railway porter …’

I'd still like to know if - risking mistaken identity - a Breton cap would be inappropriate on a GRP boat.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
What's with it with this hat snobbery? Or even inverted hat snobbery?

If a Breton cap fits, wear it! Who gives a rats bottom what anyone else thinks?