Breton Cap?

Romeo

Visit site
Is it fancy dress, or carrying on a fine tradition, or a practical piece of headwear evolved perfectly for what we do, or a ridiculous affectation........ or what?

And if not that, what would you recommend to hide my baldy pate whilst onboard my small wooden boat?

Poignard

Visit site
Very appropriate for your boat. I suspect you rather fancy having one so go ahead and get one. Don't worry about what the rabble thinks!

Anyway, it won't look half as daft as a Tilly hat:D

Romeo

Visit site
..ergo, the OP will always know in the back of his mind .........

It is the back of my mind that needs the protection of a hat, since it is not getting any from my hair.

Not sure about the whole Musto baseball cap thing either, although they are quite good at not blowing away compared to many. The baseball cap though is an american invention, obvs, and has never quite recovered from this cringe:

cringe-hague_2661220k.jpg

Fantasie 19

Visit site
It is the back of my mind that needs the protection of a hat, since it is not getting any from my hair.

Not sure about the whole Musto baseball cap thing either, although they are quite good at not blowing away compared to many. The baseball cap though is an american invention, obvs, and has never quite recovered from this cringe:

cringe-hague_2661220k.jpg

...or indeed this (but yours definitely takes the biscuit)...

21EoGH%2BpXRL._AC_UL320_SR302,320_.jpg

DownWest

Visit site
Hum, way back in the 60s, A friend with US parentage crewed for us and wore a baseball cap. A few unattractive comments heard on the Crouch.

Over on the WBF, one of the best quotes was about how a forumite's lack of success with the ladies was probably down to his wearing a Greek fisherman's hat...

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Is it fancy dress, or carrying on a fine tradition, or a practical piece of headwear evolved perfectly for what we do, or a ridiculous affectation........ or what?

And if not that, what would you recommend to hide my baldy pate whilst onboard my small wooden boat?

Err,um, suggest that a Breton type boating cap is a must of one aspires to own or sail a Classic or Timber built craft / boat as nothing else will do. A baseball cap for instance, will make out your on a holiday and renting the boat, and usually you hire a Broads Boat each year.

Topcat47

Visit site
I sometimes wear a baseball cap far offshore to keep the sun out of my eyes only where I'm sure no-one can see me or if I"m sailing with a crew, people I trust really well not to take photographs and post on social media. If it's cold I have a couple of "bennie" bonnets (wooden or fleece skull caps without bobbles, brims or peaks) and a faux Tilley rip off for when the sun's really hot. I'd wear a Tilley but I'm too cheap to buy my own. I also have a tattered Baseball cap for wearing when anti-fouling. Breton caps are only acceptable on french fishermen or ancient mariners with antique wooden sailing boats. Only americans and teenagers should wear Baseball caps as fashion items. Bah humbug!

Robin

Visit site
i have a Tilley, well 3 actually, and a logoed YC copy. I hate baseball caps but have a couple for golf as my previous visors don't keep the sun off my thin bits ( head). I also have a Souwester as rain headware. I used to love my Breton hats and they worked under a wet jacket hood to keep the view open when head turned 90 left or right.

OH and I wear Crocs too in case somebody Still hasn't fathomed my fashion sense.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Humm, re the functionality of a Breton Cap, they are undoubtedly warm, rain proof, protective to scalp, comfortable and smart when compared with almost any other head wear.

Real boating head gear actually, cannot be beaten,

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
If you're off Eastbourne, mine could still be floating there. If you find it, please try it for size and sartorial suitability.
It was knocked off my head when I was caught in an accidental gybe (no snide remarks, please:rolleyes:) and I broke a rib. (28th May this year).
Despite a perfect MOB action I never saw it again.
Pity, as I found it comfortable, functional and perfect for my "old fart character".

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I'm a habitual hat wearer, rarely if even seen outdoors without a titfer on me cranium

My favourite hat I've ever owned was a very fine and natty fedora which was my headgear of choice in my narrowboating days (the trilby being a popular hat with the old working boatmen the fedora however with its wider brim offered more weather protection). Sadly that succumbed to an attack of green mould and I've never found a replacement that was properly made (not that I could afford anyway)

My next favourite hat was my old Granda's flat cap. Proper quality flat cap that was, made in the days when flat caps were proper flat caps. Sadly that met it's demise in a gust of wind and sank below the turgid waters of the Grand Union Canal somewhere in the vicinity of Warwick

I have a cap and a hat for more formal wear but I too have eschewed fashion and ignored the mutterings of the style police and taken to wearing a Musto baseball cap as my day to day sailing (and in fact most other things) hat. It's comfortable, it stays nailed to the bonce, and it comes with a sewn in cord with a clip to keep it from blowing away. In addition to the two regular ones, I've got a waterproof version too which is brilliant in wet weather. I too have to say ... perfick

Fantasie 19

Visit site
....taken to wearing a Musto baseball cap as my day to day sailing (and in fact most other things) hat. It's comfortable, it stays nailed to the bonce, and it comes with a sewn in cord with a clip to keep it from blowing away. In addition to the two regular ones, I've got a waterproof version too which is brilliant in wet weather. I too have to say ... perfick

...are you an American, or [intake of breath].. a teenager?? :D

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
...are you an American, or [intake of breath].. a teenager?? :D

Neither. I am a pragmatist and the simple fact is that the baseball cap is one of the few things to come out of the Americas (along with tobacco and the potato) that I am happy to adopt as better than anything else available :p