brain wanted ..

madman

N/A
Visit site
for skipper of yacht racing in Soton water this morning , forced me to crash tack when I was on starboard and he was on port to avoid me Tboning him then forcing me to let every thing fly (5 minutes later) to avoid hitting him when he was the windward boat (on the run) and I was on starboard tack (still beating) .. yes I have contacted the RSYC who were organising the race, I'll let you know their response!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
I have witnessed a couple of very similar incidents and an example needs to made of these idiots as such behaviour is a serious danger, particularly in crowded waters.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Hopefully you'll get some satisfaction. Soton Water is fairly narrow, and full of commercial traffic, and you don't need that kind of behaviour - sounds dangerous to me. With my limited sailing experince, I hope I could have got out of his way in time - sounds like he was pretty desperate to win..

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Hmm
I understand they normally have a bevvy of screeching harridans on the windward rail

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

MADFISH

Visit site
Name and shame.

I used to do a lot of racing at RSYC. Love to know who deserves the plank of the day award.

Incidently, They are very strict on this sort of thing. Wouldn't suprise me if they get disqualified. At the very least they will get hauled in by the race officer for an ear bending.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Brain also wanted ..

Could someone also supply a brain to the skipper of a charter yacht that decided to alter course by 180 degrees without looking behind them

Just finished taking some pics yesterday and I was returning to the hamble, giving the RIB some exersise (poor thing rarely gets above tick over when I'm taking pics) Charter boat was under main only off the wind. I was overtaking and leaving a good couple (if not more) of boat lengths between us

When....

Without warning or looking behind him he spun the yacht into a U turn on the side I was going to overtake, I was far enough away to alter course, but I could still see the look of surprise and he noticed the big yellow rib that he'd just lined him self up against.

May be he'll learn for next time :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Re: Brain also wanted ..

He probably was, but he still had a way to go, and it was a lovely day for a sai.

Just as well I wasn't a container ship...I think he'd have been a little more shocked!!! hehehe

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site

maybe he should have looked behind, but if you were overtaking and since you clearly had room to take avoiding action, he would still have been entitled to do his turn.
you shouldnt be that close when travelling at speed anyway. what about your wash?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Don\'t be daft

>maybe he should have looked behind<

Of course he should have looked behind.

It's amazing though how many people don't. Sailing with strangers, which I used to do a lot in racing days, there was often a need to mention discreetly something like "Ferry coming up astern, skip"

<hr width=100% size=1>

ColdFusion

Visit site

I agree (on both counts) but what options would the RIB have had left if the other boat had also been relatively fast moving? ...And two boat lengths is next to nothing in wake terms. Smacks of bad seamanship if you ask me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

Disagree...

Rule 13 Overtaking vessel to keep out of way of vessel to be overtaken blah blah blah

Rule 17 Action by stand on vessel , when one of two vessels is to keep out of the way the other shall maintain her course & speed.

Rule 5 Proper look out blah, blah, blah

<hr width=100% size=1>

ColdFusion

Visit site

I agree entirely (again), just as "I agree[d] (on both counts)" to birdseye's post. But my point was twofold - firstly, the RIB would have had few options if the other vessel had also been fast moving and turned suddenly (there's no point being 'right' when you're dead) and secondly, passing within two boat lengths at high speed, no doubt creating considerable wash for the other vessel, is downright inconsiderate (putting it mildly). It all comes down to poor seamanship (to a greater or lesser extent for both vessels). Consider your options and consider others - seems that the RIB did neither, no matter what the rules might say.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

Point I was making was that Bidseye says the guy was entitled to turn in front of an overtaking vessel, you agreed to that. My interpretation of the rules says that he is'nt, which you also agree with. Are'nt you getting confused?

In constricted and congested waters it is common for vessels to be operating with such small safety margins as quite frankly there is very little water and therefor it is important for all to keep a good lookout and act predictably.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ColdFusion

Visit site

Oops! No, not getting confused, but perhaps not being clear about what I agree with!

Birdseye said:
"maybe he should have looked behind" and... "you shouldnt be that close when travelling at speed anyway"

I agreed to both points, not that he had a right to turn in front of an overtaking vessel!

Apologies for the misunderstanding (begs forgiveness and hopes ramblings haven't been spotted by Kim).

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site

I think both you and Jimi should remember that the originator (madman) of this thread is very inexperienced, and is probably wondering what the hell you are talking about. You do need to correspond with him in much more simplistic terms.

<hr width=100% size=1>

madman

N/A
Visit site

No I'm not, do'nt be so patronising! I've been out in weather where its been so windy I've had to put a reef in and I've sailed the Southern Seas .. all the way from Portsmouth to Lymington and only needed rescuing once! I understand collision regs its quite simple, same as the Green Cross Code, look before you leap and keep away from red buoys but green ones are OK to pass..

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site

Ooops, sorry Madman, I obviously got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I thought I knew a bit about the ways of the sea, but reading your post has made me realise I am truly a novice, and need some more training - especially with regard to anchoring. Know anyone who can help?

<hr width=100% size=1>