Bottled gas in a boat Advice/Opinions please

G

Last Word + 1

Well you know us matelots, call a spade a spade, or an oar an oar I must say I get rather heated with all the useless, "hire the tradesmen, help me I am in trouble, is this a bowline, flannels and reafer jacket types". I have rescued many and always do this with grace and courtesy and am rather amused when the thanks that some give are to consider that I am the yoik and they are is some way superior just because I may have grease under my broken fingernails. Such is the nature of the gratitude. Nevertheless the law of the sea etc...... The reality with being a boatie is such that you may call SOS or Mayday but you can not expect the RAC, Coastguard, search and rescue or a passing vessel to appear over the next wave and solve your problems for you. Whether you are in the middle of the Pacific or just parked on your mooring, all the best standards of seamanship should be maintained. Otherwise you are a menace to yourself, your crew, your rescuers or anyone else who gets in your way. Better to save lives at sea and stay at home on dry land. Enough of the preaching.

Sure although I did not say so, disconnect the gas bottle by undoing the regulator from the cylinder [leaving the tube connected]. I consider that copper tubing is expensive, difficult to fit, prone to damage that is often difficult to detect and must be protected from any chance of fracture from extended engine vibrations etc so much so that you need to call a Corgi. Not so with a suitable clear flexable [plastic who knows???] fuel/gas tube. Where I come from there is a real chance of an otherwise harmless bee [called a mason bee] which likes nothing better than to make its nest [a little mud dam] in a convenient open tube, keyhole, coleman lamp air vent, primus air vent or other such convenient opening and generally block things up. This has been the ususpected basis of many a problem solved at great expense, hence the value of the clear tube. Although now that I have considered this I suppose I should protect the critical openings with a bit of tape. Any way I am raving again. Time to head back to sea nad get away from all this.

G

what happens when it goes wrong

just to remind you that it does need to be done reasonably right, take a look at the "Gallery" pages at

www.kmelectronics.co.uk

I have been at a fire fighting training course when a camping gaz can (the little one used for camping stoves) was blown up in a controlled demonstration. I was shocked at the size and intensity of the fire ball produced. DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE PROPANE!

kev

G

phil, have you got any details on that?

the penryth incident. dates or newspaper articles.
I only want it to add to the KME site, to educate others, nothing more.

kev

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Re: phil, have you got any details on that?

Kev,
I'll look it up for you and send it as soon as I can.

It needs incidents like the Penryn accident to awaken people to the dangers of bottled gas. LPG and NOT LNG. LPG being heavier than air, and LNG being pressurised natural gas - mainly used in the USA.

regards,
Philip