Boom Roller System with Boltrope vs Regular Boom with reefing lines and slugs?

Tranona

Visit site
That is exactly how I modified the boom on my Eventide. Tapered battens of douglas fir glued to the boom. Worked well with the bronze Turner ratchet reefing gear until I had a new sail made and converted to single line slab reefing.

Refueler

Visit site
The old way was to throw a bunched up towel into the sail !!

On one of my boats - think I posted this before ... I like the roller booms - make sail stowage so much better and neater than flaked etc.

I put in reeflng pendants at 1 .. 2 .. 3 reef heights. When reefing sail - I would roll till reef pendant nearest mast was at boom - tie off .. move along boom and lift - tie off ... end of boom - lift and tie off ... job done and neat.
The reef pendants removed the boom sag.

B27

Visit site
Old fashioned roller reefing maybe worked OK with old fashioned sailcloth.
Modern in-boom reefing works with specially cut sails.

I think if I had a set of old bronze roller reefing gear, it would be good for a patio awning.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
The old way was to throw a bunched up towel into the sail !!

On one of my boats - think I posted this before ... I like the roller booms - make sail stowage so much better and neater than flaked etc.

I put in reeflng pendants at 1 .. 2 .. 3 reef heights. When reefing sail - I would roll till reef pendant nearest mast was at boom - tie off .. move along boom and lift - tie off ... end of boom - lift and tie off ... job done and neat.
The reef pendants removed the boom sag.
Never had a problem with sail shape (but I have a length of pool noodle if it ever becomes a problem) and I'm ok with roller reefing - yes I know it's old fashioned, but I have a main with sail sliders, and slab reefing would just be too difficult with the mast opening/setup I have on the mast (in essence, I can't close out the sail entry slot easily because of the shape, so every time I used slab reefing I'd have to re-feed sliders whenever I took it out..)

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 4

William_H

Visit site
Never had a problem with sail shape (but I have a length of pool noodle if it ever becomes a problem) and I'm ok with roller reefing - yes I know it's old fashioned, but I have a main with sail sliders, and slab reefing would just be too difficult with the mast opening/setup I have on the mast (in essence, I can't close out the sail entry slot easily because of the shape, so every time I used slab reefing I'd have to re-feed sliders whenever I took it out..)
I think the answeer to slider problems at least for the first reef is to simply remove the sliders. The clew attach point should be such that the clew is held close to the mast so removing pressure on sliders when luff is tensioned. So ok with out bottom sliders. Or at least worth a try if you have slab reefing and sliders.
I just have bolt rope in track with a feeder. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
I think the answeer to slider problems at least for the first reef is to simply remove the sliders. The clew attach point should be such that the clew is held close to the mast so removing pressure on sliders when luff is tensioned. So ok with out bottom sliders. Or at least worth a try if you have slab reefing and sliders.
I just have bolt rope in track with a feeder. ol'will

Maybe I am the only one - but I HATE MAST SLUGS / SLIDERS .... I much prefer a bolt rope luff.

Reefing does not need removing slugs from groove
Mast to sail is a clean airflow instead of slots
Flaking of sail to stow on boom is cleaner and easier
You can still use the old boom roller

But I'm old school ...

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Maybe I am the only one - but I HATE MAST SLUGS / SLIDERS .... I much prefer a bolt rope luff.

Reefing does not need removing slugs from groove
Mast to sail is a clean airflow instead of slots
Flaking of sail to stow on boom is cleaner and easier
You can still use the old boom roller

But I'm old school ...
To be accurate, it’s not the removal of the slugs or sliders, it’s getting them back in when the wind drops that is a pain. But on smaller sails, bolt ropes rule. It’s only when you get to the size where the friction is too much that sliders are useful. But of course captive roller batten cars are even better

B27

Visit site
Many boats with the main on sliders can reef without removing sliders from the mast track.
Some sailmakers make this difficult by putting sliders too close the luff reefing eyes....

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
None of them would want to!
It's generally a bad idea with modern sailcloth and modern sail designs, unless you design the whole rig around the concept.
I don’t think a casual retrofit would be good either. My one experience of it was of one fitted by the boat builders, from new. That had a bolt rope, and simply worked. I had a new sail made, by someone who knew the class (Mr Batt) and that worked too.

Refueler

Visit site
None of them would want to!
It's generally a bad idea with modern sailcloth and modern sail designs, unless you design the whole rig around the concept.

A Sailmaker worth his 'title' can make a modern sail for slugs or bolt-rope ... the usual amendment is to batten format ....

Sorry but your argument does not hold water ...

Refueler

Visit site
I don’t think a casual retrofit would be good either. My one experience of it was of one fitted by the boat builders, from new. That had a bolt rope, and simply worked. I had a new sail made, by someone who knew the class (Mr Batt) and that worked too.

If boom droops with roller reefing .. then reef point lines correct it easily ... modern or old sail !!

DangerousPirate

Visit site
It's all about handling the sails, which for a solo sailor is absolutely important. I honestly take lesser form of the sails if that means i don't have to walk toward the boom to use handle to roll the sail in and faff about with the halyard while doing so. I want to reef and set sails without leaving the cockpit.

Tranona

Visit site
It's all about handling the sails, which for a solo sailor is absolutely important. I honestly take lesser form of the sails if that means i don't have to walk toward the boom to use handle to roll the sail in and faff about with the halyard while doing so. I want to reef and set sails without leaving the cockpit.
It is almost universal now to lead all mainsail handling lines back to the cockpit, but this is not possible to do with most traditional roller reefing gear. Conversion to slab reefing with lines led aft is usually possible, but requires a bit of thought and quite a lot of hardware to make it work well plus modifications to the mainsail.

I have done it twice using this bartonmarine.com/catalogue/slab-reefing-kit-yachts-up-to-12-meters-40-feet/ for the boom. then a double turning block at the gooseneck end up to blocks on the luff cringles down to blocks at the mast step and back through deck organisers to clutches and a winch. Quite a lot of work and cost but worth it.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
My first boat (1/4 tonner) had two different mainsails, which was an excellent solution. Sails were not stored on the boom though.

So, roller furling different sails on the top of, or even better inside, the same boom could be interesting... No reefing, no poor sail shape, and perfect cloth for each sail size. Costly mind.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Quite right. And not just for solo sailors. Once you’ve been in a storm, with water coming green into the cockpit, you’ll start to see the attractiveness, not to mention safety and reassurance, offered by a boom furling system, all controlled from under the sprayhood.

I, for one, am happy to take the .25 knot hit on top speed to get that level of safety on our boat.

And our fully battened main has no trouble taking the boat upwind.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It's all about handling the sails, which for a solo sailor is absolutely important. I honestly take lesser form of the sails if that , means i don't have to walk toward the boom to use handle to roll the sail in and faff about with the halyard while doing so. I want to reef and set sails without leaving the cockpit.
My boat was a tri, which made sail handing at the mast safer. My new tri has single line slab reefing. I do prefer it, I’m just pointing out that boom roller reefing isn’t automatically terrible.

Tranona

Visit site
Quite right. And not just for solo sailors. Once you’ve been in a storm, with water coming green into the cockpit, you’ll start to see the attractiveness, not to mention safety and reassurance, offered by a boom furling system, all controlled from under the sprayhood.

I, for one, am happy to take the .25 knot hit on top speed to get that level of safety on our boat.

And our fully battened main has no trouble taking the boat upwind.
But he is talking about an old boat with old style roller reefing, not the more modern in boom furling.. While the latter has gained some acceptance on boats over, say 45' it has made limited impact on smaller boats, partly because of cost and complexity and partly because it is difficult to get it to work properly in all conditions.

The most obvious choice with older boats is to convert to slab reefing. Relatively easy if the reefing is kept at the mast but a lot of extra hardware required to take all lines aft