Boating this weekend.

Bouba

Visit site
Bit windy this weekend but Tuesday is looking good…meantime after a day at the opera house watching a musical…it’s dinner at the port..

harvey38

Visit site
1680069201345.png

Bloody hell, them there MOBOs are shoe horned in aren't they? You must be able to hear your neighbour fart, never mind aircon. or music being played.......

oldgit

Visit site
You really really need to have worked out how to get your boat "stern to" while picking up those weed encrusted bow lines on the way back in.
Have nothing but admiration for "Med" skippers mooring skills.

Bouba

Visit site
You really really need to have worked out how to get your boat "stern to" while picking up those weed encrusted bow lines on the way back in.
Leather gardening gloves are essential...there’s not only slime but occasionally a shellfish that can cut you🥺. Like everything else in life, with a little practice and a well drilled crew it can go relatively smoothly...but when it goes wrong it can go wrong very badly...catching one of the under water lines in your rudder or prop as you’re leaving requires a diver to rescue you...but by far the greatest sin is coming in out of control and hitting my boat😡🥵🤬
There seems to be a correlation with the worst boaters having the fewest fenders🤷‍♂️😳

Elessar

Visit site
I’ve done my 46 foot boat med mooring single handed. It’s just practice, like anything else on a boat.

John100156

Visit site
Leather gardening gloves are essential...there’s not only slime but occasionally a shellfish that can cut you🥺. Like everything else in life, with a little practice and a well drilled crew it can go relatively smoothly...but when it goes wrong it can go wrong very badly...catching one of the under water lines in your rudder or prop as you’re leaving requires a diver to rescue you...but by far the greatest sin is coming in out of control and hitting my boat😡🥵🤬
There seems to be a correlation with the worst boaters having the fewest fenders🤷‍♂️😳

That comment brought back a memory: We visited a marina in Pollenca for a couple of weeks, many years ago, and managed to get a berth inside. We observed a boat with an experienced husband and wife crew (wife more proficient than hubby) that caught a slime line despite them being out there in the same berth for over 10 years with no problems! It really did cause a commotion.

Luckily, I had a Targa then and me and two crew were onboard sitting on the back, observing boats coming in and out (OK drinking wine) and saw what was happening before the crew realised it, we grabbed some roaming fenders I always kept on the transom and quickly boarded adjacent boats to assist, we just managed to get there before it hit both adjacent boats quite heavily, I must say the dockmasters were quick on the scene though but could not free the rope. It sat there skew-whiff until a diver arrived next day and took half a day to clear the rope. Thankfully, no significant damage but sadly shook the crew up quite a bit. They were immensely grateful for the assistance, we all know the relief when you look around and find there's no damage:).

Bouba

Visit site
That comment brought back a memory: We visited a marina in Pollenca for a couple of weeks, many years ago, and managed to get a berth inside. We observed a boat with an experienced husband and wife crew (wife more proficient than hubby) that caught a slime line despite them being out there in the same berth for over 10 years with no problems! It really did cause a commotion.

Luckily, I had a Targa then and me and two crew were onboard sitting on the back, observing boats coming in and out (OK drinking wine) and saw what was happening before the crew realised it, we grabbed some roaming fenders I always kept on the transom and quickly boarded adjacent boats to assist, we just managed to get there before it hit both adjacent boats quite heavily, I must say the dockmasters were quick on the scene though but could not free the rope. It sat there skew-whiff until a diver arrived next day and took half a day to clear the rope. Thankfully, no significant damage but sadly shook the crew up quite a bit. They were immensely grateful for the assistance, we all know the relief when you look around and find there's no damage:).
Worst I saw was in a very tight corner of the port..an elderly husband and wife team cast off...but forgot to release the bow line...so he left and was immediately catapulted backwards...by then confusion must have clouded his thinking because he just powered the boat forward again and again...the boat was being ricocheted all over the port hitting everyone on his side and on mine (luckily just missing me...several times)...everybody is yelling at him to release the chain. Eventually he stopped and I never saw him again 🥺

DAW

Visit site

Unfortunately, it happens more frequently than you might think and usually needs a diver (or an owner willing to venture into the water) to sort the mess out.

On my home berth I try to avoid the problem by making sure the line is pulled well towards the quay before leaving (so it lies flat on the bottom) and when visiting somewhere else, I'm always wary and use the engines as little as possible when reversing into a new berth for the first time.

It seems to be a much bigger problem for those with IPS and/or joysticks. Pods seem much more prone to sucking up/catching the lines and aggressive inputs on the joystick usually result in forceful movements of the pods/propellers which can suck the lines off the bottom.