Boating memories

Bouba

Visit site
I admire you guys who can command drone technology to take aerial photos…. I have to go up the highest hill and then climb the tallest tree …

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Some time in the 1970s at Kip Marina in Scotland when my parents loaded the boat up for our summer holidays ... I was 8 or 9 at the time this photo was taken, having graduated from a rotting optimist to our first "big boat" when I was 6.

3 weeks on a 20ft boat, 2 Adults and 3 kids. No fridge, no showers, no running hot water, engine was a Johnson 6hp in an engine well.

The condensation would drip off the forecabin roof onto our sleeping bags in the mornings. I still remember the smell of raw fiberglass, damp sea air, and the sulphur from the matches my mum used to light the gas stove for a morning cup of tea.

Navigation was paper charts and a compass, we had an echo sounder and a Seafarer Seafix RDF - weather was listening to the shipping forecast twice a day and filling out the shipping forecast map, we were in Malin as I recall.

We usually made it up to Tobermory and back - happy days! .... and how things have changed.

Feadag.jpg

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Fast Forward 40 years and this is my first "big boat" in the Adriatic where I take my 3 kids sailing.

Autopilot, GPS chart plotter, solar energy, fridge, 3 double cabins, running hot water, shower, internet weather forecasts ... it's more about leisure these days than adventure I suppose - but the world has changed, there are processions of people scaling Everest, and flotillas of boats crossing the oceans.

McKelvie.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
Fast Forward 40 years and this is my first "big boat" in the Adriatic where I take my 3 kids sailing.

Autopilot, GPS chart plotter, solar energy, fridge, 3 double cabins, running hot water, shower, internet weather forecasts ... it's more about leisure these days than adventure I suppose - but the world has changed, there are processions of people scaling Everest, and flotillas of boats crossing the oceans.

View attachment 170458
I’m sure that in the future, your kids memories of those great times afloat will be similar to yours when you were young😀😎

vas

Visit site

View attachment 170458
nah, biggest progress is drones tbh :LOL: [nice pic!]