boating in venice??!!

tassyh

Visit site
Hi all

is it possible to launch your own boat in Venice and is it possible to drive around and enjoy the sites??

anyone done this?

thanks

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi all

is it possible to launch your own boat in Venice and is it possible to drive around and enjoy the sites??

anyone done this?

thanks

There are a couple of marinas on the outskirts of Venice so its certainly possible to navigate into the lagoon by boat and park up somewhere although I've heard that the marinas are often overbooked and expensive. What you can't do, I think, is drive a private boat into the canal system and cruise through Venice although I have heard that you can explore by tender but the water traffic in Venice is crazy with water buses, water taxis, gondalas and commercial boats zooming everywhere so I guess you'd take your life into your own hands. IMHO, much better to forget about the boat and visit on foot.
What you can do is cruise in the lagoon and visit the other islands like Murano and Burano and towns on the edge of the lagoon like Chioggia. If you have to launch your boat into the water, sorry but I dont know of any launching ramps in the lagoon, although that doesnt mean there arent any, but there are plenty of marinas outside the lagoon but close to Venice where you can get your boat lifted in and out

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
There's a camp site on the Lido that is accessible by car. I would expect there to be a launch ramp for trailed boats there. I guess you would need a licence & may be restricted to

It is easy & cheap to travel (including all the Islands) by Vaporetti (altho most are no longer steam powered :mad:). You can hire a gondola (about 50 squid an hour or so) or even a water taxi at a similar price. You'd like the water taxis, they are traditional speed boats with massive engines & can do 30kts plus. Sadly, most of the channels are seriously speed limited & well patrolled.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

It is easy & cheap to travel (including all the Islands) by Vaporetti (altho most are no longer steam powered :mad:). You can hire a gondola (about 50 squid an hour or so) or even a water taxi at a similar price. You'd like the water taxis, they are traditional speed boats with massive engines & can do 30kts plus. Sadly, most of the channels are seriously speed limited & well patrolled.

You'll pay a lot more than 50 quid an hour for a water taxi. When I was last in Venice, I was quoted €300 for a 1 minute ride across one of the canals. I walked

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
You'll pay a lot more than 50 quid an hour for a water taxi. When I was last in Venice, I was quoted €300 for a 1 minute ride across one of the canals. I walked

It was a few years back that I rode one & it was included in the holiday cost - Airport to Hotel transfer. It was like a trip back to the 1930's & there were a few places where he was able to open up. I'm not a great MoBo fan (who'd have though that?) but it was a blast. :D

Also we shared the ride with a couple staying in the heart of the city (we were on the Lido) so our first view of the city was a gentle cruise all around the "back street" canals. Superb. We got a Vaporetti pass for the duration & just hopped on & off as we liked - excellent value, they are subsidised & I think it cost less than buses in London.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yup, the vaporetti water buses are the best way to get around Venice if you can get your head around the unfathomable route maps and ticket pricing structure

benjenbav

Visit site

Now that's a rare skill.

How are you on turning water into wine? I think I'm getting there but still need to figure out how to do the reverse cycle.

whisper

Visit site
Yup, the vaporetti water buses are the best way to get around Venice if you can get your head around the unfathomable route maps and ticket pricing structure

Gondola was approx £80 for 20mins, last year!!!!

Agree re. waterbuses - superb way to see the main routes of the city. They appear to be horribly overloaded during rush hours and heel dramatically when changing course.
Don't forget to stamp your ticket at the validating machines, prior to getting on board. If you have a multiple-day ticket this needs doing once every day/24hrs. Similar to most Italian trains.

Watery Bedlam and not to be missed - fabulous place.

MapisM

Visit site
What you can't do, I think, is drive a private boat into the canal system and cruise through Venice although I have heard that you can explore by tender but the water traffic in Venice is crazy with water buses, water taxis, gondalas and commercial boats zooming everywhere so I guess you'd take your life into your own hands. IMHO, much better to forget about the boat and visit on foot.
I can only second you last statement.
Btw, in most small channels cruising is forbidden for ANY boat (also tenders), aside of course from public services and residents with a permit.
Anyway, I did cruise the lagoon and its islands extensively, and it's well worth doing that with your own boat, if given the opportunity.
The only occasion when it's very nice to go to Venice with your own private boat is to see the "Festa del Redentore" fireworks.
They are un-be-lie-va-ble, in that environment. And in that occasion you could really cross the "Canal Grande" on foot, just walking from one boat to another.
An absolute must for the bucket list of any boater, imho.

But sorry tassyh, I also can't help re.launching ramps - I never had the need for them, around there.

BartW

www.amptec.be
The only occasion when it's very nice to go to Venice with your own private boat is to see the "Festa del Redentore" fireworks.
They are un-be-lie-va-ble, in that environment. And in that occasion you could really cross the "Canal Grande" on foot, just walking from one boat to another.
An absolute must for the bucket list of any boater, imho.

and when is the Festa del Redentore ?

Venice was on the lady's wish list for this year,
so will follow this thread with interest

tassyh

Visit site
There are a couple of marinas on the outskirts of Venice so its certainly possible to navigate into the lagoon by boat and park up somewhere although I've heard that the marinas are often overbooked and expensive. What you can't do, I think, is drive a private boat into the canal system and cruise through Venice although I have heard that you can explore by tender but the water traffic in Venice is crazy with water buses, water taxis, gondalas and commercial boats zooming everywhere so I guess you'd take your life into your own hands. IMHO, much better to forget about the boat and visit on foot.
What you can do is cruise in the lagoon and visit the other islands like Murano and Burano and towns on the edge of the lagoon like Chioggia. If you have to launch your boat into the water, sorry but I dont know of any launching ramps in the lagoon, although that doesnt mean there arent any, but there are plenty of marinas outside the lagoon but close to Venice where you can get your boat lifted in and out

thanks that was a great help!

not sure what to do now!!
we are travelling down from uk to italy with our 23' boat do was hoping to make the most of the experience...may try the islands- they sound fab!!

anyone good on italy with boats?? possible lakes to water ski or must see's?

thanks

D

Deleted User YDKXO

thanks that was a great help!

not sure what to do now!!
we are travelling down from uk to italy with our 23' boat do was hoping to make the most of the experience...may try the islands- they sound fab!!

anyone good on italy with boats?? possible lakes to water ski or must see's?

thanks

Dont know the lakes for boating other than to say that they are stunningly beautiful. Unfortunately, the coastline either side of Venice is very flat and boring so other than cruising inside Venice lagoon, there's not much in the way of good cruising along that coastline. However, just across the Adriatic from Trieste southwards is Istria which offers excellent cruising. Istria is roughly 3 hours drive from Venice

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Lake Garda & Como? You can probably arrange to travel past them on your way down.

Go to an opera in the Verona amphitheatre too. Nowt to do with boats, but a fabulous & unforgettable night out. But don't forget to take a cussion each, stone seats can get colder & harder as the night goes on.

Last edited: