Boating around Plymouth

WileyCoyote

Visit site
Hi

After a couple of years of lake boating my partner and I are thinking about moving our 25' sportscruiser to a marina in Plymouth.

If anyone here boats in the area or has done in the past, I'd be grateful for some pointers. Specifically:

What are conditions like there most of the time? Eg, is it exposed, windy, what's the sea state like?

Are there many places to visit either to moor up or anchor?

What is Plymouth like itself?

My understanding is that SeaStart cover this area too, so my single petrol engine is less of a worry than it might be elsewhere!

We both have PB Level 2 quals so we have some idea of what we're doing.

Wiley

Will

Visit site
Hi,

It depends really on what you are used to. But Plymouth has a lot to offer as somewhere to base your boat. There are plenty of really nice destinations within a reasonable distance - for example Cawsand and Kingsand, 3 miles ish, the River Lynher (tributary of the Tamar), the Tamar itself, the River Yealm, which is about 6 miles to the east etc etc.
Slightly further afield are Burgh Island and the River Avon about 10 miles to the east, Salcombe, about 20 miles, and Dartmouth, about 38. To the west are Looe, about 12 miles, Polperro, and Fowey, about 20. After that you have Falmouth, which opens up a whole new cruising ground. There's an excellent book called West Country Cruising by Mark Fishwick, which covers most of the decent nooks and crannies of this part of the world that are sometimes glossed over by other pilot books - well worth a read if you can find a copy.

With regard to weather, yes, it's relatively exposed if you're used to the Solent for example, but Plymouth Sound and the rivers are big enough to keep you occupied for a weekend if it's too 'orrible to venture further. As for Plymouth itself - well, I'm not a city person, but think Basra-on-Sea. Better than Salcombe though, which is Chelsea-on-Sea. Actually, Plymouth is improving, and as I said earlier, although it's not a pretty place to visit in comparison to places like Fowey and Falmouth, it's a useful place to keep a boat as it has all the facilities that you should need. But you should bear in mind that to get the most from this area, you are very much going to sea, and should be suitably prepared - forgive me if that sounds patronising as it's not meant to be.
Sea start do cover this area - reassuringly I can see one of their boats from my window right now! However, it might be worth checking on where you can refuel with petrol before planning a longish trip.

Cheers,

Will

TwoStroke

Visit site
Moved down here 10mths ago. Love it. Lots to see as previous poster has said. Fuelling is not too much a problem over at Mayflower. Had a Four Winns 20ft previous, if sea state a problem then there is the Tamar going up to Calstock - nice pleasant river trip - although tidal!

Hardest part is finding a berth - best bet to personally go around all the marinas and ask - just what I did and found a place when someone not renewing.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Not much to add on what Will has said.

By the way. Will. Make sure my boat is back in the water sharpish Friday. It's going cruising ASAP.

I've cruised just about everywhere in the UK except the East coast. (Does anyond cruise the East coast)

Plymouth in my experience is the best, though maybe more suited to bigger boats.

However, there are mile of protected waters in the Sound and river Tamar, loads of anchorages and villages to visit.

There are very few dangers and most places are accessable in all tides. Though exposed outside the sound, there are no overfalls. So even though there may be quite big seas, they tend to be quite safe. (Less it's to rough Obvious)

Plymouth is quite a nice town these days, especialy the Barbican. Though perhaps better to vacate by 9pm weekends!

The big problem with Plymouth/Barbican/Sutton Harbour. It's virtually imposibe to visit by boat or Dinghy. Less your boat is berthed there. Unlike all other harbours around. Plymouth provides zero provisions for visiting boats.

Petrol is available at QAB marina I believe and also Salcolmbe. But like most places, petrol is not widely available on the sea, so be carefull if planning longish trips.

andy_wilson

Visit site
Sutton Harbour.

I'v heard this said before, but we have never been refused a temp. berth for a night, or even a weekend.

The Barbican is a larf for a lads weekend. Talk about a target rich environment!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Sutton Harbour.

Oh. You can stop overnight at QAB for about 40 quid. But then they lock the bridge over the lock at 9pm, so you cant get back. I've given up asking for a berth in Sutton. They always say there full.

But I was talking about just visiting the Barbican for a few hours. Only place I ever found to park the dinghy, was sneaked up behind the ferry pontoon, then crawl under the railings. It's a disgrace that plymouth has no town quay or even a dinghy pontoon.

adey

Visit site
Re: Sutton Harbour.

Sutton Harbour has recently put in 88 new berths so securing one for a 25 footer should be no problem. (£1695 for 25')

There was talk of a decent visitor/ferry pontoon opposite QAB at Phoenix Wharf but I don't know if this is still in the pipeline.
The Barbican is about to get a little makeover to reduce the number of binge drinkers at the weekends.

Petrol is available at Mayflower and QAB (£1.13 at the mo).
Our boat is a similar size (26' single petrol) and we mainly use it for getting away from it all for a few hours if the weather's nice. If it's flat we venture out past the Breakwater, if not there's plenty of nice places to drop the anchor up the river.

Will

Visit site
Sharpish eh? Did you know Merv had booked it out for a couple of weeks? Oh well, you've got a lovely view of some containers and a skip from where she is; perfect for a week's holiday /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

whisper

Visit site
Yes, I agree with all that have gone before, it's a very good place to keep a boat because of the cruising destinations close by and the sheltered waters inside the breakwater.
Don't buy petrol from Dartmouth or Salcombe though, as it is far more expensive there than at Torquay and in Plymouth itself. Or atleast it has been in the past.
For short visits I've always managed to find a place at QAB - similar sized boat to yours - but this has only been during daylight hours so didn't have the long walk back from "the action" at night.
Surprised hlb is still up for such excitement. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif