Boat Show salemen look down nose!!!

G

Re: Can\'t be the shoes...

Since when did deck shoes have leather soles? It's Matts' anti-plastic bias coming through again. Not only is the boating industry woodist, it's apparently leatherist as well...

G

Re: Hmm, but

All the saelsman will know that Barry is in for £25k of petrols, and Nick is similarly cagey.

Not sure of the hugely vastly overpaid salespaople, on massive basic plus commission if they actually do their job, being "understandably" tired or suspscious. They surely can't treat everyone awfully just cos one person nicked something? That would be like declaring war on er um...

MRC

Visit site
I have had the same sort of experience with salesman, I wanted to move up from my 21 ft sportsboat and had a complete range of boats in mind, from cranchi 24-37ft, fairlina targa 40 or a sunseeker superhawk or camargue 44, the most helpful were sunseeker and the least helpful were cranchi where when I turned up in the usual shorts & T-shirt they didnt have the time of day for me, plumped for a new sunseeker in the end.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: Now you\'re talking

So now we have the truth - It's not you buying the boat, it's your wife!!!

Did she also order the sale of your Birchwood?

mikep

Visit site

I am now seriously worried. Is there something wrong with me and she-who-must-be-obeyed. We were treated with respect and courtesy throughout the Southampton show where we went to look at boats we had already researched. Yes, we always said we had just sold our own boat; we had the cash and we knew what we wanted and where she would be kept. Top marks to Saga, Four Winns and Ombrine who were most helpful. Even Hardy took us aboard and tried to get us to change our minds - a very helpful young lady who when she knew we did not like the Hardy 27 still gave us a good pitch. I can't afford a Sunseeker mega yacht so I don't bother to look.

B

bob_tyler

Re: Boat Show salemen look down nose!!! - Anecdote

Some 30 years ago at the London Boat Show. Scene the Den Ouden Stand.

A very smartly dressed man, blazer, sharp creases, yachting cap asked a salesman who had rushed up to him: "How much is that helmsman's seat, my man". "£800 Sir" the salesman replied. "Good God" replied the piunter, "That's more than my yacht cost!" and walked off. (Prices were a little different then)

A few minutes later a very scruffy individual in a boiler suit with black under his fingernails was being ignored by the sales staff. In the end he managed to attract the attention of a very reluctant salesman and aksed "How much is that seat, please" in a strong Welsh accent. "£800" replied the salesman, obviously about to turn away. "How much for cash?" politely asked the Welshman adding "I'd take it away at the end of the Show". Salesman, reluctantlyand quite rudely, "£750".

At this the customer produced £750 in notes and the attitude of the salesman changed. He even slightly blushed with embarrasment. The Coal Miner, for that is what he was, collected it on the Saturday night.

Some things never change.

G

OK lets have the admission - it was you who used the toilet. N'est ce pas?

Nick

G

As it would appear I am the enemy, i feel a response was required.

Although i do not sell Boats , i am the marine sales manager for a major marine diesel engine manufacturer and as such have many years experience of "doing the stint" as we refer to any exhibition over a week long.

From my own point of view , i painfully learnt many years ago that dress code is by no means an indication of anyones wealth. In fact , i can honestly say that in general the worst the dress code, the more money a person has, particulary at boats shows!!! In fact we now state in our stand brief that each person, young or old , be treated exactly the same.

However , i would agree that boatsales people are generally poor at greeting potential customers (after all , why would people go to a boat show if they dont have an interest). The first rule of selling , is that you have to establish whether the customer has a need and an interest. If you just turn people away due to dress code , you have not established a need , although the interest has already been expressed by entering the show.

Finally, i managed to get a look around a few of the boats (but only cause i have inside contacts), and i'll leave you with this thought. Would Jenson Button had got a look around a Princess 20M had he not been a well known racing driver ?

G

Re: and...

if he wasn't bit of a plonker, would he have wanted one?