Boat Safety Certificate Query

ianc1200

Visit site
I've just had Straight Across lifted out, but essentially all is still on board and working (batteries etc). But soon I'll winterise, put big cover over, get the batteries off, and so on. My BSC is due for next year's licence, & was wondering if I could/should get the test done now, to cover me for the next four years, or leave until late Feb/early March, when it will all be open and available again. The problem has been it's just about the time it goes in the water & I want to licence & use it.
However, if I have it done now, won't that only cover me for next three years rather than four?

IanC

byron

RIP
Visit site
Mine was due in march of this year. I will renew some time before I retax the boat in 2008. This way I got an extra year.

angelaquayle

Visit site
Your BSS certificate is valid for four years from the date that you get it so it's probably best to get it sorted either now, or a bit before you're going to licence/use your boat.

(I'm not sure where anyone would stand if they played the system and then their boat caused an accident - I can't imagine it would get a favourable response!)

ianc1200

Visit site
Perhaps I wasn't explaining myself too weel, & certainly don't want to get an extra year.
I need to get a BSC to licence the boat next year. If I have the examination now, will this cover me to licence the boat in 2008/2009/2010/2011?

The problem with wooden boats when you refit in the Spring is a lot has to come apart & put back together again, and if I have to finish this off, get an examination done, then write off and wait for the licence to come back, there will be a few weekend lost - and I only got about 6 weekends use this year!

In March this year for instance, I had tabernacle/winch/guard rails/both hatches/all handrails/anything else on decks, all removed. The BSS examiner would not of been able to see ventilation to the cabin for example.
Now seems an ideal time to get it tested, but I think I'll end up losing a year.

IanC

Brayman

Visit site
In four year's time (Nov 2011) you will need a new licence, ie if you get one now it will cover you for 2008, 2009, 2010 and the 2011 season. You only need to have a valid certificate when you license the boat, so you wouldn't lose anything by getting it tested now.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
then write off and wait for the licence to come back

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure about this? Doesn't the examiner issue the chit there and then? I say this cos there has been some discussion here about how much an examiner has to pay for his pad of certificates.

TrueBlue

Visit site
A misunderstanding?

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I wasn't explaining myself too weel, & certainly don't want to get an extra year.
I need to get a BSC to licence the boat next year. If I have the examination now, will this cover me to licence the boat in 2008/2009/2010/2011?

[/ QUOTE ]

The BSS certificate is not issued on an "annual" basis, that is, it runs for four years from the date of issue (unless you have a current certificate which expires within a month after the test - a bit like an MOT).

So you are not losing a year but four and a bit months. Still any saving is still a saving.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with wooden boats when you refit in the Spring is a lot has to come apart & put back together again, and if I have to finish this off, get an examination done, then write off and wait for the licence to come back, there will be a few weekend lost - and I only got about 6 weekends use this year!

In March this year for instance, I had tabernacle/winch/guard rails/both hatches/all handrails/anything else on decks, all removed. The BSA examiner would not of been able to see ventilation to the cabin for example.
Now seems an ideal time to get it tested, but I think I'll end up losing a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Subject to confirmation - the BSS is not really concerned with hull condition - that part of the scheme was ducked in the early stages. Indeed my first certificate was obtained when my new boat was on dry land and there was no guarantee that it would float, or float upright! As said before it's more concerned with engines, Gas,Gas,Gas, fire safety and electricity.

As to the license payment is due in January, so March is irrelevant as a formal date. EA get a bit sniff inasmuch as although the license starts on 1st. January regardless of when you pay it, they will date it from when you pay.

If your BSC is valid now (a bit pushing it) more practically expiring in December or even better, January, EA will issue a license. As long as the boat has a valid certificate when the license starts or is applied for then they issue it. Like so many Gov't departments they have rules (which they make up as they go along) which they don't divulge to you - I suspect because of the preceding parentheses, so don't delve too deep.

If the above is of no value to you then my parting shot is that providing the money is in their hands when you start to use the boat next season, they are not likely to prosecute you - 'cos it costs a lot of money. OK, you'll get a bit of hassle from lockies who will - quite rightly - challenge you and fill a report form, but if you say "not cooperating", they won't extract your inside leg measurement (address etc) and mark the form as such. You present that form on the next challenge and proceed on your way. No big deal.

So, calm down, don't panic.

ianc1200

Visit site
Re: A misunderstanding?

A very interesting point; willl try and licence immediately in January, with the certificate which is 3 years & 9 months old; can't lose anything by trying.

IanC

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org

It is not for the BSS office to comment on any one navigation authority's licensing conditions and for any question in this regard, it is best to speak with Reading.

However it may be useful for some people to know that a BSS certificate can be renewed up to two months in advance of the expiry date of the previous certificate (or fourth aniversay of the RCD DoC) and the date on the new certificate will be forward dated to that expiry(anniversay) date.

Regards
Rob@BSS Office

ianc1200

Visit site

Thanks Rob. I've spoken to my BSS examiner (Roy May, Bisham Abbey Sailing School) & he agrees best to renew the lincence as noted above and have the test done when/just before the old certificate expires.

Thanks to True Blue for pointing this out. The best solutions are always the simple ones!

IanC