Boat preparation - where do I start

Wunja

Visit site
So I have passed step one and made a commitment to attempt JAC 2012.

I now need to get myself and the boat ready. Where should I start?

My boat is a 30 yo Jaguar 27, that has spent its life happily cruising the inland waters of Germany and The Netherlands. It is basically sound, and I don't want to make massive non-reversible changes (filling it with expanding foam etc.) as it will continue to be the family's cruising boat.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Vince

Things I have been thinking about:

Storm Sails - Not happy with a furled away genoa but have found setting a storm jib difficult. The 'inner forstay' I have is a mast support rather than for a sail so will need to add a removable inner stay. Main ok as I have a deep 3rd reef.

Self Steering - 2 x electric Tiller Pilots and Wind Vane - so think I have that sorted. My limited use of Sea Feather vane was very succesful.

Power - still to calculate what I need and how I will supply it. If main engine alternator, how much fuel do I need to carry in excess of existing tank.

Watch Keeping / Sleep. Tried the egg timer 'alarm clock' routine when out before Easter. I suppose I wasn't tired and couldn't sleep and kept looking out! Also I want a couple of secure sea berths - one for each tack.

There are loads of other things too (AIS / SeaMe / storage / getting boat back / money etc) but I have gone back to basics for now - what boat!

I was told up front that the first challenge was getting to the start line - I thought they were joking!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Independence

Visit site
I did the Jester 08 in a Jaguar 25.

If you would like to drop me a PM I'd be happy to let you know what alterations I made that may / may not be useful to you.

CPD

Visit site
Vince,

Look at Peter's post. I make each paragraph a separate list, so thats four separate lists + "Others" (5th paragraph), total 5. Each list will have subcategoried lists, and if you are particularly careful then they willd all cross reference without a glitch, to make the whole process run very smoothly indeed. In the time it takes you to actually do a job and cross it off the list, then you will have, or should have, depending on how hard you are trying, thought of at least two other jobs that need doing, and categorised and cross refernced them accordingly. You can see how the process could then continue, with each list growing into a life form with interminable longevity, made certain by the fact that if you cross something off, you will always go back to double check it was done properly, and may in fact re-add it to it's original list, just to make sure that it was done to your satisfaction. There is then the very real and frightful possibility of losing a list, but fear not, you will remember most of what was on it, and the cross-referencing system will ensure that if it doesn't come to light immediately, then it will, given time, probably 3 minutes before the gun goes off. Losing a list is a sad affair, it really is. It makes you question your sense of organisation and preparedness and then makes you realise just how much better putting those lists on a spreadsheet could be. This is where the fun really starts, as the options for making the lists grow by cutting and pasting then become endless, and if you start adding databases, powerpoint presentations to the family and advanced microsoft project management techniques, then the sky really is your limit.

At one stage, I had 4 separate lists (non cross refernced /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) which then became 2 - "Must" and "Nice". I understand there may be some time honoured tradition of cleaning the boat on the way to the Azores, but I actually managed to complete this on the way to Plymouth.

Don't forget toilet roll.

C

Chrusty1

Not particularly replying to you Flipper, but I am beginning to wonder if some of you haven't lost the plot just a bit??

Don't you think that you would be a lot better off following the KISS principal?? Roger Taylor, and Peter Hill don't load their boats up with all the parafinalia that some of you are talking about, like AIS, Seame, radar, computers, 20 tiller pilots AND a windvane!!

I thought The Jester was about ordinary folk in simple small boats, having a laugh by crossing an ocean. It seems that some of you are spending thousands on electronic toys, and worrying to death about how you are going to provide the power to run them?? It's my opinion that the more you have in the way of electronic toys the more chance there is of you having problems, as to sleep patterns, what do you think the Atlantic is, the M25??........you will have plenty of opportunity for getting a good few hours sleep at a time. RKJ, Alex Rose, Francis Chichester, all managed to get their heads down for quite long periods, so what is this desire to keep bobbing up and down every fifteen minutes???

Still, I will probably get flamed for suggesting such heresy, but maybe some will see what I am saying..........

I wont count on it though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Superflid

Visit site
You here as well? I'll just..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've adopted Roger Taylor's preperation as a model to work towards, def in the "Simple" category me!

Alternative steering is available by means of an oar over the transom (this can also be used for propulsion).
I'm a practical bloke (was a fitter down t'pit...) so jury rigging wouldn't be a problem.

Some extra bouyancy is the only essential that isn't planned just yet, but is on the list for when I start to venture further offshore.

Might go mad and splash out on a decent radar reflector, heard good things about the Tri-Lens Radar Reflector......

H/H GPS and H/H VHF

Much more than that would just be added complication for me, not much spare room for gadgets in a Coromandel anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
I agree (the laptop is a toy, I have one so why not use it). I have read Pardey's Self Sufficient Sailor. and agree with most. Annie Hills Voyaging on a small income is also very good.
I will use both as my main source of set up but with the addition of new technology. Led mast head light 1amp, hand held gps waterproof and AA batteries. The DSC radio will also have GPS plugged into it. They will be used with paper charts navigation sorted.

Graham
ps a wee vid on youtube of my boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9wqWWWrIgM

C

Chrusty1

Hi Graham, Nice little boat that, I have seen a few of them around but don't know much about them.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I think you have missed the point or perhaps you are just trying to wind up folk on this forum as well.

I am THINKING about the various bits of kit available. I am not saying I am going to fit them.

Totally agree with KISS. I however also need to consider my non sailing family and show them that I have reduced the risk of their income provider not returning so in my view it would be stupid to ignore advances in technology that may aid my safety.

Will we be seeing you on the start line? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wunja

Visit site
An update:

Paul Mead has provided an excellent list of the modifications made to his Jaguar 25 and I found the following link to the mods made to a Jag 27 that circumnavigated.
web page

I now have a spreadsheet with 7 worksheets crossreferenced, though when I crossreferenced the power requirements to drinking water I got a shock!

Regarding KISS... KISS also applies to usability as well as technology, so reading the numbers off a GPS compared to hoping that the sun is out at the right time and taking a reading from a bouncing deck, the choice is a no brainer. This doesn't mean I won't be buying and learning to use a sextent.
And when does technology move from suspect to essential?... Someone thinks they can make a mecanical clock with sufficient accuracy to calculate longitude /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
(Ducks and runs for cover)

CPD

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
... Someone thinks they can make a mecanical clock with sufficient accuracy to calculate longitude /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
(Ducks and runs for cover)

[/ QUOTE ]

Great Vince. 7 cross-referenced sheets is excellent work.

Regarding your invention, I propose that we all give you a shove off from Plymouth, kit and estimated tools aboard for your forthcoming development work, and watch you speed off in a Sw'ly direction. We could then wait for a call from the harbourmaster at Terceira to see whether or not you turn up, newly created invention in hand. If you do, we could all club together and buy you a pint. We'll wait for the call first though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

All agreed ?

C

Chrusty1

"I think you have missed the point or perhaps you are just trying to wind up folk on this forum as well."

As well as what????

Funny that someone can't express a different opinion, without being accused of winding people up, or being a troll....I was simply offering a different point of view, in the hope that it might generate a bit of interesting discussion. At least a couple of people understood what I was getting at, and didn't feel the need to slag me off.

Still never mind, as to my being on the start line, you will never know!

Wunja

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I propose that we all give you a shove off from Plymouth

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming I can find Plymouth in the first place. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

CPD

Visit site
Oh heck, no gun yet and there's 2 lost already /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif