Boat insurance,

Roy McCluney

Visit site
Hi guys , I'm in the process of purchasing a Beneteau Gran Turismo 40.
Can anyone recommend where I can get reasonable insurance, the boat will be moored in Northern Ireland on lough Erne only.
Thanks

Tranona

Visit site
Google boat insurance and you will get a mix of comparison sites and insurers either brokers or insurance companies who deal direct. All have an on line quote facility, although in practice most will require more information and will call you back.

Like any other insurance not all policies are the same so read the policy wording when making comparisons

ashtead

Visit site
Which insurer is good for you varies wildly depending on your vessel,area etc so I always feel sad when someone looks for suggestions as not only is one underwriter cheaper via one broker than another but the product coverage varies depending on broker.. hence by comparison for say house insurance nationwide can drive given the market share a far harder deal with underwriters than an average broker. So my advice is just shop around but being mindful of coverage as cheap as chips might be fine for motor as a compulsory class but not for your yacht or house hence in residential property the premium paid by many to Hiscox and Chubb for HNW properties and cars.

harvey38

Visit site
We've been with GJW for a while, they upped the agreed value by £7K for an extra £5 on the annual premium and cheaper this year than last as we're still accruing our NCB.

Parabolica

Visit site
Due to this thread i tried Curtis Marine last week as renewal is about now. They were very in-depth, requiring much supporting information which i was able to provide as satisfactory to their requirements however, they came back today with an uncompetitive quotation. It was 18% higher than my last years cost, and 35% higher than what i have now managed to secure going direct with GJW of who others here have recommended.

Just giving an alternative perspective.

Roy McCluney

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I have already tried both of these companies, the quotes I'm getting are fine until I mention Northern Ireland then they get crazy, for example, QUOTE received £809:00, when I then told the company that I would be using inland waters, lochs and lakes the same quote rose to £2600:00........seriously.........joke.

Hooligan

Visit site
Due to this thread i tried Curtis Marine last week as renewal is about now. They were very in-depth, requiring much supporting information which i was able to provide as satisfactory to their requirements however, they came back today with an uncompetitive quotation. It was 18% higher than my last years cost, and 35% higher than what i have now managed to secure going direct with GJW of who others here have recommended.

Just giving an alternative perspective.
Excellent outcome I think as someone previously said insurance is about multiple things and I suspect what works for one does not for another. Whatever the case the key is to find someone who works for you and chases down the best outcome. For me a critical issue is leaving the boat on anchor and being covered in case of something happening whilst not onboard.

Chris H

Visit site
Excellent outcome I think as someone previously said insurance is about multiple things and I suspect what works for one does not for another. Whatever the case the key is to find someone who works for you and chases down the best outcome. For me a critical issue is leaving the boat on anchor and being covered in case of something happening whilst not onboard.
GJW cover leaving on anchor.

Parabolica

Visit site
As Chris comments, mooring on anchor is covered by GJW and as its a key part of med based boating, was an imperative to have. I didn’t get far enough to see if the Curtis offering offered this. But i agree, its horses for courses hence it pays for us all to dig around as there are definitely savings to be made.

Alicatt

Visit site
Shopping for insurance for my boat after I bought it, I was quoted €135 by AG for use on the inland waterways, my wife and I then did the PB level 2, then went back to the insurance agent, they came back with a revised quote of €68 for the same cover, and that was after them saying it would make no difference :)