Boat Damage on Handover

boatcrazyoli

Visit site
Without wanting to name the marina or dealer as both parties have been excellent over the issue.
Today I went to collect the new to me Sargo 36. As the boat had been out the water for Survey etc it was due to be put back into the water. The marina lift workers came to collect the boat off the blocks and tow towards the sling lift with a tractor.
On moving the boat they reversed between the slings and left the aft sling on the D clips and not lowered sufficient. When it caught and they tried to straighten it when the banks man weren’t in clear sight they pulled the sling forward lifting the port bottom out drive up quite quickly and bending the starboard prop.

They promptly had a local Volvo Penta dealer down to review. Consensus was that it should just be a new prop but have ordered for delivery tomorrow and then sea trial.

Just want to gauge opinions on anything I could miss before taking ownership of the vessel.

BruceK

Visit site
Have the prop shafts checked to be true and no damage to bearings and casing. Or if not checked dont accept closure on the claim until they can be checked. Most insurances are reasonably ok with this in my experience. Ditto with hydraulic and ram system though less a concern. However you seem to imply that you may not have closed the purchase contract... sea trial post survey??.. if so that may muddy the waters a bit and Id have these items double checked before closing by your surveyor, but that will be at your cost quite probably.

jrudge

Visit site
Get the out drive checked by the dealer. The force to bend a prop is large and the drive was not designed to support the weight of the boat.

What has the vendor said ?

the marina has no liability to you - only the owner

boatcrazyoli

Visit site
Have the prop shafts checked to be true and no damage to bearings and casing. Or if not checked dont accept closure on the claim until they can be checked. Most insurances are reasonably ok with this in my experience. Ditto with hydraulic and ram system though less a concern. However you seem to imply that you may not have closed the purchase contract... sea trial post survey??.. if so that may muddy the waters a bit and Id have these items double checked before closing by your surveyor, but that will be at your cost quite probably.
Yes in the mechanical survey there was some raw water cooling pipes and bellows needing changed. Post putting back in the water it was agreed that all would be remediated before acceptance of the boat.

boatcrazyoli

Visit site
Get the out drive checked by the dealer. The force to bend a prop is large and the drive was not designed to support the weight of the boat.

What has the vendor said ?

the marina has no liability to you - only the owner

Broker representing vendor has been great, marina have accepted liability and happy to pay to fix, albeit seems to be just a prop so far. Volvo penta dealer was checking shaft with port prop and all gaps looked as expected. Hope new prop arrives today and should be able to test for any further damage given port outdrive was lifted up 60-70%

Portofino

Visit site
You could do with some sort of escrow account to hold a with holding incase a shaft seal or worse something else needs fixing a few hrs down the line .
How will you know , when will you know if oil ends up emulsified and a new seal is needed ? Furthermore what if the casing is ever so slightly distorted and any new seal never actually ever seals ?
Or a shaft a tiny bit eccentric, not enough to really feel vibration at the helm , but enough to “shake , rattle and roll a seal “ to make it leak , any seal from now on !

That’s a lot of force to bend a prop only !

spannerman

Visit site
Not sure what is meant by checking the gaps, but that is not how you check a propshaft, it is done with a dial micrometer against the shaft while rotating it, having rebuilt numerous Volvo drives I know the longer inner prop shaft is easily bent out of true if the prop contacts something.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Not sure what is meant by checking the gaps, but that is not how you check a propshaft, it is done with a dial micrometer against the shaft while rotating it, having rebuilt numerous Volvo drives I know the longer inner prop shaft is easily bent out of true if the prop contacts something.
Any idea what a reasonable tolerance would be?
I guess you could easily compare with the undamaged shaft using that as an acceptable tolerance.
I edit
I’ve just remembered the technical term for the measurement, it’s called the run-out of the shaft.

Last edited:

boatcrazyoli

Visit site
Sorry for delay in coming back. All was checked and cleared up by the marina operators. They were very fair and got a Volvo dealer to check over everything. I also received a new pair of stainless props as brass were not able to be sourced in time.

ICTM

Visit site
I am no expert but I would have thought if you have twin outdrives, DPH ?, and you now have one with nibral props and one with the new stainless steel ones this may be less than ideal. Hopefully someone such as @volvopaul will be along to put me right :)

SC35

Visit site
Volvo state that if changing to H-Series stainless propellors, it should be all four, and you should not run with two Nibral and two Stainless.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 100022.jpg