Boat choice

nathanlee

Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm getting to the point where I need to make a choice about what to do boat wise. Kudu, without a doubt, needs a lot of working to be done to her. I don't mind doing it, but I'm starting to wonder if it would be both cheaper and quicker to just buy another boat a bit more suited and spend time/money on that instead. Time spent working on the boat is more my concern as to have any chance of getting ready for the JC I need to have a pretty much complete blue water boat by the middle of nest summer so I can get a load of practice in.

I've been making inquiries into a GK24, which seem like a much better starting point. My concern was the fin keel not very long (although quite deep), so would that make it liable to broaching?

I need to have made my mind up by about Jan/Feb I think, and I have < 5k to spend.

Thought would be very much appreciated.

eebygum

Visit site

Gwylan

Visit site
Nic26 or Dufour Arpege - well that's my choice but don't tell everyone or they'll all want one. At£5K - I suspect you may well get what you pay for and not what you hope for. Out of sight of land is too late to find that out.
Could go for a single keel Achilles 24 on your budget - my favourite of all time. Always wet but keeps you safe. Most of them have done at least one crossing so they know the way.

Good luck

Ceirwan

Visit site
If you have a budget of 5k it would be better spent on the corribbee! I HIGHLY doubt that you will get a boat that needs minimum work to get fully seaworthy for that budget.
As people say... you get what you pay for.

I.e. My boat is an Eygthene 24 (Very similar to the GK24, slightly better ballast ratio), i got it very rundown for £2.2k, but i've since spent over £3000 on it, and i've still yet to rebuilt the interior.
I.e. It needed an inboard, 2 year old 1gm10 £1.2k (This is my choice obviously the boat certainly didn't NEED an engine), however it did need standing rigging. (£400) all the deck hardware needed replacing (£ a lot!), materials, paints, etc it all adds up!
I'm probably not the best at budgeting and could have done it cheaper i imagine, but its just an example!

nathanlee

Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far.

As I have been told, and indeed suspected myself, getting to the start line is going to be the hardest challenge, but one nevertheless that I think I can just about pull off.

Ultimately, especially given that my boat is also essential my main abode, I think I'm pretty much convinced I need another (bigger) boat that needs less structural work done to get me there. This is a bit of a dampener on things but I have to be realistic in that I didn't buy Kudu to sail across the atlantic, I didn't have that intention at all when I bought her and so I'm probably stretching her ability a bit far to think she could.

So, with that in mind, I need to buy a new boat ASAP to have any chance of preparing it in time. ASAP is the issue in that I don't have a vast amount of savings, and although I'm working on that, it's not going to be boat purchase levels until at least the end of Q1/Q2 next year. One thing I didn't take into account when i said <5k is the value of Kudu. So, not knowing the boat market ever so well, I'd like your thoughts as to the rough value of Kudu in her current state, since selling her will obviously add a considerable amount to that budget.

So, Kudu is a Mk1 Corribee with roller furling, the furling genoa being in very good condition and the mainsail being almost as good too. I have shore a brand new shore power system, fitted to a high standard and including a Sterling switch mode charger. She has a brand new Suzuki 5hp outboard and an Origo 1500 stove. I recently gave her a pretty good dose of maintenance which included laminating the rudder and bring the interior up to standard. I paid 2,000 for her, so given the work I've done and extra equipment I've added (including the expensive outboard) I figured she'd be worth around about £3,500.
Does that seem like a reasonable figure to place on her or am I being overly optimistic?

If she is worth that much, then that raises my budget to around 8-9k which means I can start looking at some of the boats already mentioned, by around April time... hopefully. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a budget of 5k it would be better spent on the corribbee! I HIGHLY doubt that you will get a boat that needs minimum work to get fully seaworthy for that budget.
As people say... you get what you pay for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, cheers Ceirwan, you've upset my decision now. I'm back to almost square one. I was still writing my last reply before I read your post. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I suppose on the sticking with the Corribee route I'm going to have to get some quotes. She realistically needs (IMO) a skeg fitting, new spars as hers are original 70's and I'm sceptical about the mast for the atlantic, the running rigging and deck gear need an overhaul and she needs the obvious safety work doing (buoyancy). I can do some of that myself but building a fitting a new skeg is probably just beyond my comfortable ability so would have to pay somebody to do it.

Still unsure.. if only I had deep pockets to make the decision for me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Noddy

Visit site
The Hirondelle is a nice little cat that might just fall within your grasp. A lot easier to live on than a Corribee. Faster too! Doesn't sink, drinks don't spill etc etc. Be sure to take some time to learn to sail it properly though.

No matter what you look at, an ocean ready boat is unlikely to happen for under £5k. However, a proven design like the Corribee + £5k + Elbow Grease = A good little ocean boat.

I seem to remember that you live aboard?? I can't see how you can live on a Corribee anyway (I'm a large one). But I suspect it will be impossible to live aboard while doing the work.

I didn't waste money on cosmetics. So the boat looked pretty rough when I set off on JAC08. Not quite as rough as it looked when I got back!

There are a few ready prepared boats from JAC08 for sale. Golden Dragon springs to mind - can't remember the price though.

Paul

Ceirwan

Visit site
I would say your estimate on the value of your boat about right... although i don't know what the current financial situation has done to boat values.

As for the work, i think your underselling yourself! Things like the skeg aren't actually as hard as you'd think providing you take your time, and practice your skills on something else! Measure twice cut once, i know it sounds cliche but its true.

Example, i have lots of tabbing in my boat to do to reinforce bulkheads and stiffent the boat... i've never done it before so i'm going to make a few wooden mockups and practice on those first!
I have lots of interior woodwork to do, until now i've mainly worked with metal (because thats what i learned in my apprenticeship) so to start with i'm making a toolbox and i'm going to make it dimensionally perfect, this will let me get the hang of the tools.

For your skeg example, i would say the hardest part would be getting it dead center, and aligned fore and aft, if it was out it would effect the boats steering and throw it out.
I book i can reccomend if "This old boat" by Don Casey (Amazon it) it explains EVERYTHING about the process of yacht restoration on a fibreglass yacht... Woodwork, laminating, rigging, water systems, mechanical systems, windows etc. It assumes no prior knowledge but is still VERY useful if you do have some or a lot of knowledge already.

As to your budget being around 9 grand, i reckon you could buy a boat up to the job shooting around the 22-24 foot area, however remember unless you buy it off a previous jester challenger (something to consider) it will still need some work to get to ocean level so leave some money! And then remember provisioning and you always need more gear! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you are going to change boats, small yachts with proven transat performance: Achilles 24, Anderson 22, Hurley 22, Eygthene 24, GK24 (I think at least one has done it, probably more), Westerly 22 etc etc.
Remember its usually the owner that gives up before the boat!

Hope this helps!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
This is currently on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...=tab%3DWatching
It does seem to require a little bit of work.
I have to stop myself bidding on this about five times a day, as my wife would never forgive me if I bought another boat under 30 feet. I don't know what the reserve is but the Hurley 22 must be almost the ideal Jester challenge boat along with the Corribee of course. Heavy displacement, semi long keel/fin keel arrangement, engine easily removed before the start line and a proven ocean crosser.

The Hurley 22 would be my boat of choice if Glayva wasn't locked into starting in 2010. I'd prefer something with a longer keel rather than a deep fin. The deep fin has a tendency to bounce around on the waves and this causes a loss of momentum. However when the waves are extra large and trying to knock you down I do prefer the fine fin as is doesn't try and trip you up as much.

G

Very few small(ish) boats offered for sale will be suitable for a trans-ocean crossing 'as is', and will require modification to bring them to that state.
I'm mindful that you're living on a small boat while trying to do work on her at the same time - would moving into a caravan, or living on someone's floor for a month or two make the work schedule any easier ?
As I see it, the major problem with the logistics of selling your existing boat is that you will have to sell BEFORE buying your new craft in order to have the fistful of money you require to buy the bigger/better boat - so you'll have burnt your bridges (and your home !) in the process. Trying to tie the two deals together, as per a house sale, is always possible but might be tricky in the current financial climate. My experience is that the world is full of people who would like to buy one's boat, some of whom may even lodge a small deposit with the best of intentions, but their circumstances always seem to change prior to handing over the balance.

Dyflin

Visit site
My old sailing club boat is for sale at the ridiculously low price of €1000. She is minus a mast now as they snapped it when they decided to give up cruising and start racing this year.

http://yachts.apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=99851

Highly recommend the Ruffian as a very seaworthy little boat. She's currently sitting on the trailer in the public boat yard in Dun Laoghaire (as she does every winter). A serious contender IMHO.

Or a nice looking little Hurley 22 for just over the £5k mark here
http://yachts.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=85489

David_Jersey

Visit site
Just as a "thinking outside the box" scenario.....what about forgetting the JC /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sell the Corribee and head over to the States (Ok, the USD/GBP exchange rate not what it used to be /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) but overall asking prices seem to be cheaper.......and especially on "our" boats that are less well known overthere:-

Albin Vega - ASKING USD7900

DSCN0894_small.JPG

DSCN0885_small.JPG

And (on internet /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) does not look like a pile of poop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

.......and maybe then enter:-

The Scoot

April 2010 USA down to the Bahamas (Kinda same as the JC Azores run. sort of) - yer could also do the "return leg" of the JC...........

C

Chrusty1

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

I'm getting to the point where I need to make a choice about what to do boat wise. Kudu, without a doubt, needs a lot of working to be done to her. I don't mind doing it, but I'm starting to wonder if it would be both cheaper and quicker to just buy another boat a bit more suited and spend time/money on that instead. Time spent working on the boat is more my concern as to have any chance of getting ready for the JC I need to have a pretty much complete blue water boat by the middle of nest summer so I can get a load of practice in.

I've been making inquiries into a GK24, which seem like a much better starting point. My concern was the fin keel not very long (although quite deep), so would that make it liable to broaching?

I need to have made my mind up by about Jan/Feb I think, and I have < 5k to spend.

Thought would be very much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be worth a squint, seing as how it is part way prepped for the JC??

http://www.sunbirdmarine.com/warOD_27.htm

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
I think when you compare the above mentioned WOD with this one you'll see what a bargain she is.
The brand new equipment alone will be worth 1000 quid or more. I would've considered her myself had I not already bought mine. Through the same broker btw. She's got to be a steal @ 5000 ono!

Dyflin

Visit site
Typical Cork people, too cheap to take a picture themselves. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You'd probably find it's a H18 they're selling anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just as a "thinking outside the box" scenario.....what about forgetting the JC /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't. It would be too easy to make the decision. Plus, I've already told everyman and his dog that I'm doing it, so would feel like a right plonker if I bailed out over something as silly as not having a boat /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't. It would be too easy to make the decision. Plus, I've already told everyman and his dog that I'm doing it, so would feel like a right plonker if I bailed out over something as silly as not having a boat /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Aha! The Crowhurst motivation management strategy - worked for me!