BMC 1500 / T90

alb40

Visit site
I have a BMC 1500 (Thorneycroft t90) that i have been rebuilding after it went pop.

I have a brand new cylinder head to fit which has cast iron valve guides. I have been told that i shouldnt fit a positive oil seal to the valve stems or they could sieze and cause damage. Apparently, they should changed for bronze guides in order to fit a positive seal.

If this correct? Or do i need to fit a deflector type oil seal to the iron guides?

I would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks,

Alex :confused

FlyingDutchman

Visit site
Why do you want to apply positive oil seals?
If the cylinder head has cast iron valve guides, it is appearantly designed like this.
I know many older car engines with cast iron guides that use no oil seals and they appear not to use oil?

dickh

Visit site
I too have just rebuilt my T90 head, it had CI valve guides, with seals, so just fitted the new seals in the gasket set. Never heard of positive valve seals.....

alb40

Visit site
Just to clarify for everyone, by positive seal i mean seals which fit on the guide to stop oil running down as opposed to the o ring type seals which only deflect oil running down the valve stem

the positive seals are what i have in my gasket set. they are cup shaped with a spring that holds them tight to the valve stem. Are these the sames as yours richard?