Bluebird

earlybird

Visit site
Apparently, Donald Campbell's boat is at an advanced stage of restoration. Local BBC news yesterday was saying that trials are scheduled in August for Bute. I had visions of meeting her in the Kyles.
However, The Telegraph now confirms that Loch Fad is the intended location.
I'm somewhat relieved, I wouldn't have appreciated the jet blast!
Perhaps they'll post a wake-shot in the MoBo forum?

www.hydraulicpartsdirect.co.uk
fall out with lake district idiots. The atmoshere on Bute is unbelievable and the island has bent over backwards to accommodate the team for this historic moment. Bet the lake district people are sorry now ! Hopefully it can be resolved and still do a run on Coniston water as planned.

Tranona

Visit site
Just as interesting is the article in this month's PBO on the restoration and running of his father's K3 even if it does now have a RR Meteor tank V12 engine rather than the original. The owners do have that, though - just too valuable to run.

johnalison

Visit site
In spite of its demise, Bluebird was remarkably successful in its time. I can appreciate the attraction of restoring her but fail to see the point in attempting to emulate her now historic career. I'm not sure that the water speed record now has any significance and basically these craft are just seaplanes without wings. More importantly, I have no wish to read of someone else being killed in the process.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm not sure that the water speed record now has any significance and basically these craft are just seaplanes without wings.

To be of any interest to me, land speed has to be wheel driven and water speed has to be propeller driven. Everything else is just a plane eithout wings, as you say. And as for that ridiculous bloodhound project, attempting a purely arbitrary goal in a pointless way ... hah. I'm not alone in that view, I think, which is why it has run out of money and stalled for years.

More importantly, I have no wish to read of someone else being killed in the process.

Amen.