Blue water sailing, red tape upon entering countries.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Wearing decent clothes and shoes is important. I remember seeing a very scantily clad lady getting very grumpy as she was being utterly ignored whilst trying to clear in at Rodney Bay.
The staff in Rodney Bay are all very smartly dressed in uniform. I expect they noticed her though even if they ‘ignored her’ professionally.

capnsensible

Visit site
We often hear from Americans complaining about the clearence process in the Caribbean islands. When I explain to them what clearing in to the USA involves they tend to shut up. First you have to apply for a 10 year US visa. The form is filled in online and takes about 2 hours. You then travel to London for a 15 minute interview. There was a 9 month waiting list for an interview the last time we looked. When you get your visa you are then allowed to take your boat to the US. But, don't travel to Cuba first and try and clear in in certain parts of Florida. Friends have been tracked with their AIS and refused entry. Something that isn't illegal to foreign flagged vessels but is illegal to US flagged vessels.
Canadian friends bought a tea towel in the USA once. It was a map of North America. They noticed later than Cuba had been removed from the map! All other Caribbean islands were there!
There was a loophole. You could anchor or moor in Tortola and take the ferry to St Thomas. A return trip gave you a 90 day visitor visa.....like airlines, the ferry operator was responsible for you. Then you could sail back to one of the USVIs to enter you and your yacht. Dunno if you still can, but we did.

V1701

Visit site
Some years ago I flew out to Israel to work on a ship and had my passport stamped on the way in. During the night the ship moved along to the next port with me aboard. When I was ready to fly home the immigration wouldn't let me off the ship because I hadn't cleared out of the previous port and so I couldn't enter again. Common sense prevailed in the end but bureaucracy can be a pain.
That reminds me of when I sailed into Maldives (as crew) but was flying out, that caused no end of bother. Try not to (inadvertently) throw them a curveball I suppose is the point...

geem

Visit site
There was a loophole. You could anchor or moor in Tortola and take the ferry to St Thomas. A return trip gave you a 90 day visitor visa.....like airlines, the ferry operator was responsible for you. Then you could sail back to one of the USVIs to enter you and your yacht. Dunno if you still can, but we did.
Yep, but you can't then go to Florida. Only works in the USVI

Trident

Visit site
You get 90 days? Or did....
I've not checked but about 3 years ago I read a lot on sailing forums that the loophole had been closed.

We got a 10 year Visa last year - tried to book an appointment and wa given one 8 months ahead - rechecked regularly and found one open just 2 months ahead so got that. I had expected a room with a Yank with rolled up sleeves asking every detail about my life, military service, did I know any communists etc - possibly with a fan on his desk and a lot of pictures of presidents on the wall . Instead a big queue of maybe 200 people for the same appointment time as me - an hour late going in, another wait for fingerprints and then sent to another window (no office, no fan, no photos) for interview. Q1 Why do you want a visa A1 We're ailing round the world and need to have the visa for entry. Q2 Really? Are you sure because your cruise ship will normally just get you to do the visa waiver A2 No we're sailing our own boat. Q3 Wow that's amazing - yeah you will need one then ... stamp That's all approved and have a wonderful trip. Visa was available to collect from another office 48 hours later rather than the up to 28 days they suggested it might take. Other than the long queuing in hot weather it really was easy and pleasant and the staff very helpful . And not one photo of a president anywhere