Blown out of the water

Rob_Webb

Visit site
P.21 of Sep PBO (Reader's Forum), letter entitled 'Avoiding Action' describes how a RN warship in Plymouth Sound got very close to "firing" at a vessel that was approaching too closely.

Now, I realise that in these days of heightened tension everyone is a bit jumpy about nasty peeps getting too close but I never realised just how real a possibility being blown out of the water by our own boys could be? Yikes!

Even without knowledge of any rules I would be driven by common sense not to get too close to any warship whether in harbour or at sea but there could be a situation where you're unable to avoid a close encounter. Spose answer would be to get on the radio and discuss it - don't know what else I'd expect a warship to do - maybe drop a launch to investigate closer? But if they REALLY are prepared to fire at you after only 2-3 warnings on the VHF then maybe this procedure (and risk) should be publicised a bit more widely to us boaties?

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
You'll be safe enuff when you get out here - don't think we have much left capable of firing at anything (just remember the no more than 5 knts within 50m of another boat bit though in case you try to sink one of them by ramming).

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Yeah, ramming is a manoeuvre I've got down to a fine art in my deadly high-speed inflatable - trouble is, it's body-ramming, ouch! Praps I should buy some missiles on the black market - think the yanks might have one surplus after yesterday.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
Blown out of the water.. Ulp.

I've only recently noticed the resemblace between my fine vessel & a pirate ship. Does that make me more likely to get shot at?

Should I fire back with a home made cannon (nobody shoots at me & gets away with it!)? I know the amount of gunpowder used in old cannon was half the weight of the shot, but how thick was the barrel?

Joking aside, in Portsmouth week before last I saw a police vessel get very upset with a yacht going too near HMS Invincible, it looked as if the police were about to board and arrest everyone in sight. Silly nits to get that close.

Regards

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Thanks, that's interesting.

I knew that something like that operated in/around Portsmouth - what I'm not so sure on is the position in open water, alhtough it sounds like much the same rule is applied based on the PBO article?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
In open water the rules for dealing with warships probably go back to the time of the invention of gunpowder: boat with big gun says get out of my way, and you disobey at your peril. Unless you've got a bigger gun. IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Woodpile

Visit site
'Friend of a friend' knows a fellow who drove his gin palace much too close to the Royal Navy about a week ago. He wasn't sunk, but was boarded from a pair of harbour launches by a band of gravely-demeanoured gentlemen toting loaded machine guns. Despite sporting neither beard nor turban, he was bundled unceremoniously off said gin palace in front of his bemused crew who drifted about while he was held hostage for an hour's worth of 'questioning'. He'll be appearing imminently before the beak, by all accounts, so might even get on the news!

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Re: Blown out of the water.. Ulp.

No use shooting at modern warships with a cannon. The plating is so thin that the ball would go straight through and come out the other side of the ship!

<hr width=100% size=1>

B

bob_tyler

A Cruise ship alongside in Falmouth a couple of weeks ago displayed the following on a canvas sign rigged on the side:

"Security - Do not approach within 50 yards."

What will they throw at you if you do? Suggestions please!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aramas

Visit site
Tourists! Obviously!
Having crewed on a charter yacht for a summer once, I consider tourists to be perhaps the lowest form of life on earth. You could hurl them at a boat that was too close and they'd ooh and aah all the way down, thinking that they were either dreaming or watching it all on TV. They'd probably even be using their camcorder so that they could find out what their holiday was like when they get home.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfkal

Visit site

Not funny. Heard about a German who acquired an RPG launcher left behind by the Russians after the cold war (just in case). He blew a pirate boat out of the water in the Carribean. Might have been an isolated incidence. Germans tend to be more friendly and peace loving these days compared to some others (beard, turban or also the odd clean shaven type).

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfkal

Visit site
Yep. Friendly Fire is the term here. Dunno what's friendly about that. But seems to be the number one reason for casualties nowadays.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Unpleasant and embarassing that this would no doubt be, it's much more what I would have expected than 2-3 voice/radio warnings and then..... BOOM!

My main issue is how poorly publicised this position is. If you were sailing around the Gulf you might expect to be rather more wary but in your own waters it comes as a bit of a surpise to find how sensitive our boys still are. At best, this will lead to a few more curious plonkers getting an embarassing grilling but at worst could lead to a nasty incident!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Woodpile

Visit site
That's what 'friend of a friend' presumably thinks! Mind you, he did get REALLY close. About 50m...

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site

Oh well, can't have it all I suppose.

I heard of a firm who were making a replica cannon near where I live (one of the people who works there is a friend of mine). They cast the whole cannon (a replica bronze 24 pounder), bored out the barrel & made the truck, but they weren't permitted to drill the touch hole as none of them had a firearms license for cannon. The purchaser had to do it himself on delivery. Seems a wee bit stupid to me.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Captain_Chaos

Visit site

I sailed into Plymouth several weeks ago in the early hours of the morning (approx 03.00) returning from a trip to Brittany. No navy ships around but having passed Drakes Island I was pinned by a searchlight for what seemed like ages. Didnt do much for the night vision i can tell you.

<hr width=100% size=1>My drinking team has a sailing problem