Bloody expensive business this boating lark!

Fergus

Visit site
Bought my previous boat for £16.5k in 2004, spent £8k on rigging, electronics, Awlgrip topsides etc. Just sold it for...£16k!

reginaldon

Visit site
Bought my wee boat in 2004 for 785GBP, spent 200 on genny furling (am too old for the foredeck jitterbug) about 500 total on GPS, VHF & all maintenance inc outboard repair (expensive) and c550 pa on mooring & annual lift outs - I aim to reduce annual mooring charges to 330 - it still mounts up, altho she does look good and sails well. Don't expect to make any money when I sell!
Tight Yorkshireman.

Pinnacle

Visit site
Four seasons for £4.5k.........sounds cheap!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cloona

Visit site
doesn't have to be at all expensive ...... just heard about another load of boats getting burnt cos no-one would take responsibility for them....

you would not have to try to hard to get given a hull and sails for nothing or not very much

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
She was a lovely boat Fergus, so somebody has done very well !!

I just got back from paying LYH for one year's berthing fees so am having to lie down and get my breath back. Made the mistake or working it out per day ! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wotayottie

Visit site
If its any consolation, I dropped 10k on the last boat in 7 years and 5k on the previous one again in 7 years.

But I've dropped far more than that on cars, and dont even mention the stockmarket

sighmoon

Visit site
If you'd invested the same money in Northern Rock shares, you'd now have even less money, but no happy memories of sailing your own ship to where ever the wind blew you.

arfa

Visit site
I worked out the cost of owning vs charter in my first season. It worked out cheaper to own (marginally) but I don't care any more as the pleasure of just one good day makes it all worthwhile

uforea

Visit site
Hey, Fergus, Never look back, just PM me when your next boat is for sale, I could do with a well sorted boat at a good price.

Ted.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Some-one got a very good deal there.
Also current gloomy economic outlook may have contributed.

Bought our previous boat (Etap 38i - 1990) for 50K in 2001.
Over the next couple of years - new sails, engine, electrics, electronics and deck anti-slip for just under 20K.
Sold her in 2006 for 68K.

Five years of ownership at about £400 p/a (+ usual costs: insurance & mooring).

trouville

N/A
Visit site
In my case on this boat i hope not to make a loss as the price was right!But new keel bolts complete engine overhaul(renewal)new lines; cooker has cost me in total so far 460€!

I hope i get that back?

In the med if you sell your boat with a place you get a better price without you may not sell at all!I lost £8000(on total cost) on my Hillyard broke even on my east anglian and J24.

In the Baltic my excellent folkboat hasent had one offer even though im asking now only 1200€ with a good place all year and storage facillity Up there no ones got any money except a few very rich that dont live there