Black marks in Teak vineer

Lance

Visit site
Hello all
I am planning to re-varnish the interior over winter (Conditions permitting), but there are some black stains in the vineer where the windows have leaked in the past.
The leaks are now fixed but would like to know how best to remove the stains :- is there any chemical/cleaner that would do the job or is just a case of sand back as much as I dare before rubbing through vaneer and accept what is left.

Many thanks

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Lance on 24/11/2004 18:28 (server time).</FONT></P>

ccscott49

Visit site
You could try oxalic acid, 10% solution (Teak brightener from the chandlers.) after sanding, but be careful, as the veneer may well lift, then you are stuffed, unless you replace the panel, or try and do a bit of Marquetry and let in a veneer patch! Might be better to just sand it and put up with the stain.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LittleShip

Visit site
The black marks you are seeing on the teak is a fungus which you can remove with oxalic acid. or a weak solution of bleach to kill it, use a pan scrubber with the plastic back on it this will prevent you from causing too much damage to the wood.
I had several pieces which were discoloured and they have with care and patience come back great. Let me reiterate what has already been pointed out, "be careful when sanding once it's gone it's gone"
If you are stripping the varnish off, apply the varnish stripper and use a Stainless steel pan cleaner to remove it, use plenty of water and you will find that there is very little sanding to be done to finish for re varnishing.
Best of luck and be careful with chemicals???

<hr width=100% size=1>
I wish I'd been born rich instead of good looking ?

ronniewood

Visit site
Agree a weak oxalic acid mix would be good. Just be careful you don't get it on your skin. Use good rubber gloves and cover up. There are a lot of other posts on the same subject - run a search.

<hr width=100% size=1>