Black hull in the Med

charity

Visit site
I am looking to buy a Seastream 34 which appears to have everything I need for a forthcoming summer long trip in the Med, apart from the fact it has a black hull. Does anyone have information as to how this will affect either, A: the boat itself or, B: the living conditions on board (e.g. increased internal temperatures etc.) Thanks in advance

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidbains

Visit site
It doesn't have a black deck does it!?
If you paint the deck white or cream you might get away with
it, but the hull would reach alarming temps in sheltered harbours.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
There are quite a lot of dark blue hulled boats down here, including mine, and it aint that bad. Plus the fact she is steel and until recently had very little insulation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dk

Visit site
We had a dark blue hull out there for some years - we repainted her white after six months and the internal temp dropped some 10deg C instantly. Most of the dark hulled superyachts you see have got aircon - that's how they get over it, and that's why they need a genny on the whole time!

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
As I write this our Green Colvic is being painted white as it gets too hot in summer.

We've coped for three years but now we are changing, especially as my side of the berth is next to the hull.....

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Gloss is a factor!

I had my boat resprayed last spring. She was dark blue, but very, very matt and worn.
With the new paint the topsides actually became cooler, despite she was resprayed in black!
It must be the high gloss reflecting much of the sun away!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
All the superyachts have got aircon, whatever the colour. If they have no aircon, they ain't superyachts. I am intrested in this issue of heat transmitted thru from dark colours, not light, tho 10 degrees to the temp inside sounds rather lot?

<hr width=100% size=1>