Bird Deterrents

At Sea

Visit site
Boat on top rack of dry stack. A nice perch for the seagull community.

So, any advice on effective deterrents to keep the pesky birds at bay???

Zing

Visit site
Small electric fencer unit by Gallacher.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/gallagher-b10-battery-fencing-energiser

Rig a convenient 'perch' before you stack, and attach the fencer unit. Lasts 6 weeks on a set of D batteries. If adjacent boats on the top use a similar-looking perch, they will all be gull free as the blighters learn quickly
Have you tested it on a boat? It would be good if the mast and guard rails could be wired up and if mast paint would not prevent a shock. I suppose it would insulate though? A ground wire would need removing first. Maybe problems from arcing?

jfm

Visit site
You could try one of these: https://www.deck-guard.com/

I used one, but as 43% of the population can hear ultrasonics I had some complaints from neighbours. This shouldn't be an issue in a drystack.

Solar powered, so no 12V needed
Thanks. I just ordered that online. They ship to uk. I'll report back in a while. I currently have string from bow to hard top, to deter seagulls while the boot is berthed. The string works will but this gizmo is easier to deploy. The gulls hunt in packs where I am so you get no droppings if lucky and 30kg if unlucky. Nothing in between.

BruceK

Visit site
You could try one of these: https://www.deck-guard.com/

I used one, but as 43% of the population can hear ultrasonics I had some complaints from neighbours. This shouldn't be an issue in a drystack.

Solar powered, so no 12V needed

I fail to see how that would scare birds considering they dont hear in ultrasonics. Their hearing frequency range is much like ours.

Visit site
I fail to see how that would scare birds considering they dont hear in ultrasonics. Their hearing frequency range is much like ours.

Their website is confused on this too. Two models, apparently with differing types of operation. The how it works blurb states this:

"Deck-Guard has been specifically designed to emit frequencies at 30kHz to 55kHz, the level of frequency that deters birds of all sizes.
These frequencies (aside from predatory units) are completely undetectable by most humans, dogs, and even cats"

Yet the individual product descriptions both state:

"Ultrasound: Broadcasts at a frequency range of 10-20 Khz"

An ultrasonic device that operates at frequencies which are by definition not ultrasonic. Rather odd, though perhaps I'm missing something obvious and/or being stupid.

sarabande

Visit site
Have you tested it on a boat? It would be good if the mast and guard rails could be wired up and if mast paint would not prevent a shock. I suppose it would insulate though? A ground wire would need removing first. Maybe problems from arcing?

If you have two parallel tracks like a small railway line, and 1 to Live and 1 to Earth, you can place the fencer well away from any boat electrics, rather like a TV aerial. No arcing, it's only about 5000 volts.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Ultrasonic devices to deter birds have been pretty much discredited in recent years. There are no birds that can hear sounds above 20 KHz, and most in the 1 - 5 KHz range.
Many years ago you could get rat deterrents based on ultrasonics but they were eventually abandoned as useless. I worked for a company that sold such a device.

BruceK

Visit site
About the only thing that is guaranteed to work is a coarse / large diameter mesh nylon (fishing) line net or fishing line strands across the boat at least six inches above the surface. The gulls will not land if they suspect they might entangle their wings.