Bio degradable de-greaser ?

Bladerunner

Visit site
Does anybody know where I can obtain a bio-degradable de-greaser ?

I plan to paint the bilge on my Achilles and want to de-grease it first.

The previous owner slapped copious amounts of what appears to be a graphite based grease around the keel bolts. No doubt thinking this might afford a little protection rather than stop the leak from the hatch in the fore cabin !

Many thanks in advance

Bladerunner

<hr width=100% size=1> Bladerunner - Hung like Einstein. Brains like a donkey

G

The best cleaner ever is Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner .... wipe away loose grease / oil etc. Spray on .... leavev to foam for a while - not too long though because it has a small amount of caustic and this should not be left for too long...... few minutes should be ample.

Wipe away with plenty paper towels etc. the foam , then wassh off with fresh water ..... wiping dry and ventilate till dry.

You will find the GRP surface now ready for gluing to / resining up / painting etc. as its the cleanest I have ever got GRP ..... without using expensive stuff etc.

You must make sure you wash off with fresh water ...to ensure caustic is removed. Also resistant gloves etc ..... read label on can .....

I alwsy use this method when glassing in a new or re-glassing in a transducer tube for echo-sounder ..... espcially if you have had Castor oil leaking for yaesr and it's gone gooey ....

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ... and of course Yahoo groups :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

HeadMistress

Visit site
No matter how "bio-degradable" any cleaning product may be, it ceases to be when combined with anything that isn't. A "bio-degradable" (which is a meaningless term anyway) cleaner does not magically turn grease, oil, diesel into an environmentally friendly brew...it only mixes with it so it can be washed away. So use whatever does the best job of cleaning.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987

adee

Visit site
If you have to use a bio. use deb jizer bio most car part shops will stock it about £14.00 for 5 lts . good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
disagree. the oil lost in milford from the tanker seems to have done little if any damage, which is more than can be said for the household detergents going down our drains and into the sea / rivers.

suggest you get rid of the grease with diesel taking the resulting mixture down tio the dumpit to get re-cycled. the hot soapy water or one of the bio degradable washing liquids from tesco et al

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

HeadMistress

Visit site
I never suggested discharging it overboard!

There seems to be a misconception among boat owners that using a "biodegradable" cleaning product turns the pollutants the mix with into environmentally safe materials. They do not. Detergents--which is what most bilge cleaners and detergents are--only emulsify grease and oil, eliminating any oil slick on the surface...which may be the reason so many boat owners believe it somehow "neutralizes" grease and oil.

As for household detergents...it depends on what else is in it...pure detergents are non-polluting. I don't know what's in household detergent products sold in the UK, but here in the US, the Federal Water Pollution Act ("Clean Water Act") of 1977 required that all phosphates and other pollutants had to be eliminated from them. There are still plenty of toxic chemical household cleaning products here, but not in laundry or dishwashing detergents.

So I stand by what I said: Use whatever does the best job of cleaning. I assumed that adding "dispose of it responsibly" went without saying.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987