Bill Cooper - Lost Original

Davy_S

Visit site
Sad news indeed, I read the book and passed it on to another forumite, I saw Hosanna in Lefkas years ago.
I am sure the book and their exploits together gave pleasure to many. RIP.

tcm

Visit site
"Bill and Laurel and "Sell Up and Sail" provided the inspiration and the justification for taking stock and escaping"

Tell me about it; I did that Ulysses Test and dropped the shorelines barely two years later; thanks Bill.

First published in 1987 so I read the book and did the Ulysses quiz ages before setting off anywhere much ... the book came out almost 30 years ago. Ooh and I remember how he was a grump about charter boats, and gave extra marks to those who had been in the Navy or Merchant Navy too!

Edit Er, leafing through the book now, I'm am remembering that he was quite grumpy about lots of things! Nonetheless, first book that actually took you through what was involved in some detail. I bet that Jonic will be along soon to plug his book as well, but I am sure he will acknowledge Bill's as "the Daddy" ...

Bill's book is lauded as being tremendously practical these days. But books and magazine to be full of practical stuff - these days boat mags are so lightweight "here's some new things you can buy" and nice pics of destinations. At least half of boat mags used to be step-by step guide and pix to dragging the engine out and putting in a new one, all that. - and Bill+Laurels book was a logical culmination of some decades of that sort of wartime and post-wartime "this is actually how you do it" fare.

These days - nice pics lots more important, and we have to assume the readers can't actually read, not really, nor know much about boats, and hence the "tech" section is quick review of mobile phones to let you ring someone else to do the yard work, and maybe do some nav on the thing as well. The reviews are day-sails with the startling result that this one is a bit cheaper, but the more expensive ones are a bit better.

So hurrah for Bill, and yahboo to the likes of Tony Blair, who dedicated his stupid education-focussed politics to trying to change the fact that 50% of the population are below average, when in fact that's what an average is. Bill and his ilk talked to those more equipped to do stuff - -and yet still asked the question "Are you up to this?" - a refreshing and of course more realistic attitude. Many people CAN"T do things, and it's frustrating that mainstream media addresses these numpties more and more - to not much effect. Hurrah for elitism! Yeah, and I don't much care if you like this post or not - I'm writing it for myself, see? Just like Bill wrote his book primarily for his own amusement.

Last edited:

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Met them in the early 90s - nice couple.

Bought the the book off them but didn't do the Ulysses quiz in case I didn't match up to Bill's standards! :rolleyes:

Didn't stop me selling up & sailing off in '93. :D

ribrage

Visit site
The DBA website reports that Bill Cooper died yesterday after a short illness.
For many such as us, Bill and Laurel and "Sell Up and Sail" provided the inspiration and the justification for taking stock and escaping. Bill had a full and diverse professional and boating life http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17084308 and he'll be sadly missed.

im sad to hear that - I have three copies of the book in various forms given to me over the years - he posted on here occasionally - very knowledgeable person and I'm sure an early Inspiration to many cruising sailors.

Fair winds Bill

AndrewB

Visit site
I havn't seen this confirmed anywhere else yet. But if so it's a sad loss. We spent time with him when we were moored at Hoo St Werburgh many years ago, and he really fired my ambition. He was once a regular contributor here, his last posting was three years ago.

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
The DBA website reports that Bill Cooper died yesterday after a short illness.
For many such as us, Bill and Laurel and "Sell Up and Sail" provided the inspiration and the justification for taking stock and escaping. Bill had a full and diverse professional and boating life http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17084308 and he'll be sadly missed.

I've just learnt of death, his obit is in The Times today ...

Like the others we took the Ulysees test and set off for a year's transat two years later.

RIP

Sandyman

Visit site
Only just heard of Bill's passing. Sad news indeed. Didn't know him personally but occasionally corresponded with him. Both being ex RN we had a lot in common. I spent years trying to convince my wife about the benefits of the liveaboard lifestyle without success until she read ''Sell up & Sail''. I'm sure many of us have a lot to thank Bill & Laurel for.
Bill's name on YBW was Binch. http://www.ybw.com/forums/member.php?31447-binch
Rest in Peace Shippers. .

npf1

Visit site
He, or perhaps I should say 'they both' certainly inpsired me! Within 18 months of reading 'that book' I took the plunge and bought a cruising boat. RIP.

EBunting

Group Editor
Visit site
First published in 1987 so I read the book and did the Ulysses quiz ages before setting off anywhere much ... the book came out almost 30 years ago. Ooh and I remember how he was a grump about charter boats, and gave extra marks to those who had been in the Navy or Merchant Navy too!

Edit Er, leafing through the book now, I'm am remembering that he was quite grumpy about lots of things! Nonetheless, first book that actually took you through what was involved in some detail. I bet that Jonic will be along soon to plug his book as well, but I am sure he will acknowledge Bill's as "the Daddy" ...

Bill's book is lauded as being tremendously practical these days. But books and magazine to be full of practical stuff - these days boat mags are so lightweight "here's some new things you can buy" and nice pics of destinations. At least half of boat mags used to be step-by step guide and pix to dragging the engine out and putting in a new one, all that. - and Bill+Laurels book was a logical culmination of some decades of that sort of wartime and post-wartime "this is actually how you do it" fare.

These days - nice pics lots more important, and we have to assume the readers can't actually read, not really, nor know much about boats, and hence the "tech" section is quick review of mobile phones to let you ring someone else to do the yard work, and maybe do some nav on the thing as well. The reviews are day-sails with the startling result that this one is a bit cheaper, but the more expensive ones are a bit better.

So hurrah for Bill, and yahboo to the likes of Tony Blair, who dedicated his stupid education-focussed politics to trying to change the fact that 50% of the population are below average, when in fact that's what an average is. Bill and his ilk talked to those more equipped to do stuff - -and yet still asked the question "Are you up to this?" - a refreshing and of course more realistic attitude. Many people CAN"T do things, and it's frustrating that mainstream media addresses these numpties more and more - to not much effect. Hurrah for elitism! Yeah, and I don't much care if you like this post or not - I'm writing it for myself, see? Just like Bill wrote his book primarily for his own amusement.

EBunting

Group Editor
Visit site
Yes it's fair to say Bill was one of the original trolls on our forums and delighted in a certain amount of mischief making. He certainly never missed an opportunity to fire a shot at the yachting magazines (though in fact he was a very regular contributor to Yachting World right through to the Nineties). He and Laurel delighted in being contrarians, and had every right to be such.

So yes this is an excellent tribute. Mostly nonsense of course, but fair play to you: you inherit the mighty mantle!!

tcm

Visit site
Gosh, are you replying to my silly post, Ebunting? I am not worthy of your final phrase, and few if any are. I did write for some boaty mags a while back, but the subs misunderstood and edited out all the jokes. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words which makes my post worth perhaps a bit of sky and some passing clouds, and that's fair enough i think.

A sincere Fare Well to Bill Cooper from tcm.