Biggest manmade object ever towed

tugboat

Visit site
Back in the early '80s, I was on one of the boats that towed out the Statfjord B platform in the Norwegian sector. It had a displacement of 830,000 tons, a draft of 426 feet (130m), and an air draft of about 550 feet (167m). At the time it was the largest manmade object ever towed. Anyone know if it has been beaten since? Icebergs don't count, of course.

FAITIRA

Visit site
It rings a bell Tug, My uncle towed the Durflinger from Scapa when it was raised, apparently a hairy Job, and during the war he remounted some lock gates in Flushing under fire and got decorated for it. He commanded a salvage vessel called "Kingarth" you may have heard of it, I saw it on the Clyde once at Largs.

tugboat

Visit site
According to messrs Google, Ninian Central was 1978 and 600,000tonnes, unless you can upgrade that info.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Troll A ...

1.2 Mill Ton ballasted under tow ... and 472 M from bottom of skirt to flare tip..

44_0.jpg

37.jpg

tugboat

Visit site
Hi Alf, great pics thanks, an impressive beasty no question about that. I'm interested in the figures (cos I've nothing better to do with my time!) She certainly seems to be the tallest structure ever moved, by a country mile. Some websites say 'largest' whatever that means, and the figure of 656,000 tons is mentioned. It is clear from your pics, and from others available on the net, that her topside modules were added after towout, so not sure whether the above displacement refers to towout or final weight. If you have any further info or can direct me to it, I'd be very interested. Thanks again for your trouble in posting.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Gullfaks C was heavier ... with 1.498.000 Tonnes at tow-out

http://www.multigrout.elkem.com/hits/web...anuary-2001.pdf

And to my recollection all the Condeeps were towed out with the topside deck merged to the GBS and all modules fitted ... including Troll, which became a simpler facility than what the original design was intended. This as a result of onshore gas processing facilities.