Big tide in Portsmouth today.

Garold

Visit site
We visited Gun wharf in Portsmouth this afternoon and moored in the marina there to go shopping for an hour or two, which my wife then turned into an hour or four.

Whilst I sat on the boat watching the world go by (couldn't take more shopping), I couldn't tear myself away from a chap fighting his way into the harbour.

He was in a sailing boat about 30 foot so probably with an inboard diesel. On his first attempt he motored about halfway through the entrance, and then for extra oomph, he unfurled his jib, but soon was across the current. The current pushed him back out of the harbour, against the wind. It seemed odd seeing a sailing boat moving fairly swiftly towards the wind.

His second attempt was more successful and with patience he made it through, but this attempt took about 25 mintues to cover a couple of hundred metres.

Not sure how often this happens in Portsmouth but it looked a real challenge for the chap in his yacht.

Cheers

Garold

lustyd

Visit site
We visited Gun wharf in Portsmouth this afternoon and moored in the marina there to go shopping for an hour or two, which my wife then turned into an hour or four.

Whilst I sat on the boat watching the world go by (couldn't take more shopping), I couldn't tear myself away from a chap fighting his way into the harbour.

He was in a sailing boat about 30 foot so probably with an inboard diesel. On his first attempt he motored about halfway through the entrance, and then for extra oomph, he unfurled his jib, but soon was across the current. The current pushed him back out of the harbour, against the wind. It seemed odd seeing a sailing boat moving fairly swiftly towards the wind.

His second attempt was more successful and with patience he made it through, but this attempt took about 25 mintues to cover a couple of hundred metres.

Not sure how often this happens in Portsmouth but it looked a real challenge for the chap in his yacht.

Cheers

Garold

We were at Gunwharf today as well and the tides were pretty strong but I don't think anything unusual for a spring tide. You should have seen the yacht we saw leaving Cowes this morning, he turned out of the marina and immediately got swept sideways :)

Fantasie 19

Visit site
We were at Gunwharf today as well and the tides were pretty strong but I don't think anything unusual for a spring tide. You should have seen the yacht we saw leaving Cowes this morning, he turned out of the marina and immediately got swept sideways :)

One of the two biggest tides of the year this weekend - that big old moon is a give-away.. ;)

Up my way - top of Chi Harbour - we had a 5.1m which is big...

Blue5

Visit site
Not to be underestimated

It was interesting going out yesterday morning as the tide was flooding in, you normally need to be aware of the flood sweeping you into the middle of the channel at Blockhouse. With the extra velocity yesterday a couple of oblivious boats got a close up view of the IOW ferry.......

dirtydirtyburty

Visit site
If it was around 3pm on Sunday then it was me fighting to get into Portsmouth

Hi Garold,

It was probably me you saw on Sunday - a 33ft Sigma "parked" next to the the red tide guage near the block house between 3 and 4pm. We were wondering afterwards if anyone saw how mean the red post was to us.

Coming into Portsmouth something struck the prop and we could only make 4kts through the water before the boat vibrated itself apart. That post knew we were in trouble and gave us one of those looks right from the beginning....so we did everything we could think of to get past it.

We tried sneaking up SAS style, staying in the shallows with only a few feet under the keel, but when we popped out into the stream to get round it spotted us and sent us packing.

Then we thought we'd try to evade capture, sailing out beyond it's reach to catch the wind, but that stuck us into even faster water and it slooshed us down the drain and out the entrance.

Eventually we fooled it with a picnic - whilst we were eating cake it must have thought we had stopped trying and dropped it's guard - a couple of gusts took us past it and it couldn't after that it couldn't catch up.

Anyway, glad that we brought a bit of interest to a Sunday afternoon :)

Andy

Garold

Visit site
Hi Garold,

It was probably me you saw on Sunday - a 33ft Sigma "parked" next to the the red tide guage near the block house between 3 and 4pm. We were wondering afterwards if anyone saw how mean the red post was to us.

Coming into Portsmouth something struck the prop and we could only make 4kts through the water before the boat vibrated itself apart. That post knew we were in trouble and gave us one of those looks right from the beginning....so we did everything we could think of to get past it.

We tried sneaking up SAS style, staying in the shallows with only a few feet under the keel, but when we popped out into the stream to get round it spotted us and sent us packing.

Then we thought we'd try to evade capture, sailing out beyond it's reach to catch the wind, but that stuck us into even faster water and it slooshed us down the drain and out the entrance.

Eventually we fooled it with a picnic - whilst we were eating cake it must have thought we had stopped trying and dropped it's guard - a couple of gusts took us past it and it couldn't after that it couldn't catch up.

Anyway, glad that we brought a bit of interest to a Sunday afternoon :)

Andy

Well done Andy.

I'm sure it was you and I have great respect for your fortitude.

I think that I would have gone out of the harbour, anchored for couple of hours and maybe tried later. But you're clearly not a bloke that gives up easily.

Cheers

Garold

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
One of the two biggest tides of the year this weekend - that big old moon is a give-away.. ;)

Up my way - top of Chi Harbour - we had a 5.1m which is big...

We were in Poole on Saturday and were surprised to touch the bottom in Poole Quay Marina. Turned out that depths were below Chart Datum, according to the Harbourmaster.

Other threads that may be of interest