Big Plumbs

Binnacle

Visit site
err, there's no geographical enquiry about Romeo's location in Juliet's speech from the window, more asking (through the use of tautology for emphasis) why he belongs to the Montague family which is the enemy of Juliet's Capulet. Probably the most emotionally committed scene in late Mediaeval literature.

Seastoke

Visit site
err, there's no geographical enquiry about Romeo's location in Juliet's speech from the window, more asking (through the use of tautology for emphasis) why he belongs to the Montague family which is the enemy of Juliet's Capulet. Probably the most emotionally committed scene in late Mediaeval literature.
Should this post not be in the Count Paris thread.

Greg2

Visit site
possibly - That thread was halted last week pending investigation by moderators before being re opened

When it was subsequently re-opened the mods gave an explanation to the effect that certain comments and users had been removed from the thread. Bigplumbs posts had disappeared from the thread.

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
I think this is very true , but it is also an open forum and we are all different personalities . I would hope that we all can take an insult or a derogatory remark , if not just put those people on ignore , this is something the mods have got right. There are some of us who enjoy a forum argument. But at the end of the day we are all boaters and help each other in my opinion it has got worse since the mods turned the lounge into the parish news. Happy new year.

Greg2

Visit site
It wouldn't be so boring if the members who stopped posting due to bps manner would come back.

I would agree with this sentiment. If memory serves, leaving aside general manner, this is the second time that a ‘line has been crossed.‘ Last time he disappeared for a while so perhaps doing the same again. Should he reappear I would hope that having reflected his approach is a little more convivial.

Edit: I don’t disagree with Seastoke about a forum argument but all I would say is that debate is good but I fail to understand why the tone has to deteriorate because someone disagrees with a particular point of view. The Chinaspacher debate turned into and argument that some appeared to see as something that must be won as opposed to acknowledging differing perspectives and agreeing to disagree. 🙂

Last edited:

ari

Visit site
I think this is very true , but it is also an open forum and we are all different personalities . I would hope that we all can take an insult or a derogatory remark , if not just put those people on ignore , this is something the mods have got right. There are some of us who enjoy a forum argument. But at the end of the day we are all boaters and help each other in my opinion it has got worse since the mods turned the lounge into the parish news. Happy new year.

There is 'different personalities' and there is 'boorish and thoroughly unpleasant', these are not the same thing at all.

To be clear, this is, of course, just a passing thought, and absolutely not aimed at anyone in particular. :)

Seastoke

Visit site
I was taught when growing up , to be honest and speak as you see life good or bad and not to hide behind words of two meanings. But as I say happy new year and may all your tides be in.

ari

Visit site
I was taught when growing up , to be honest and speak as you see life good or bad and not to hide behind words of two meanings. But as I say happy new year and may all your tides be in.
Did that include highly moderated Internet forums by any chance? ;)

To be clear, this is, of course, just a passing thought, and absolutely not aimed at any highly moderated Internet forum in particular.

Happy New Year to you too. :)

paradave

Visit site
I like watching a forum argument, but plumbs is no fun as he appears too entrenched/dim to really do battle properly.

SC35

Visit site
I came to the conclusion several years ago that you cannot change the way someone thinks by debate or discussion.
People are where they are as a result of reading things that reinforce their own beliefs plus the "experience of one".
Divided we stand.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
You don't have to put people on your ignore list to ignore them.

Some are on a completely different level to you and know things that are beyond your comprehension.

I mean, if nothing they say makes sense to you, you need to realise that the distance to their universe is simply too great and move on to something else. Like scratching your belly or studying your toenails.

jon and michie

Visit site
I'd put that down to being passionate about something.
But on a forum everyone has a right to their opinions whether right or wrong - providing it is put in a nice way and not aggressively.