Beta 14 starter motor question

tymonk

Visit site
When I tried to start my engine last Sunday I heard the solenoid click but the starter motor didn't start turning over. This happened twice in a row. Battery levels all fine. I turned the battery on and off and also hand primed the engine (a separate issue but this often helps with starting when the starter motor does turn over). It did start on the third time. I am wondering what may have caused this. Next time I am due back I'm meant to leave on a longer trip so fingers crossed it's all fine then (it's never happened before) but want to prepare myself for if it's not.

I went through the other recent Beta14 starter motor thread but this seems like a different issue.

Thanks in advance.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Did you try shorting the two big terminas on the starter solonoid while trying to start. If the motor does not turn on the key but does when you short the big terminals then a good chance the solenoid contacts need attention or younger a new solonoid

B27

Visit site
Is the click coming from the solenoid or just a relay that controls it?

As stated in a post above, you can bypass the solenoid by shorting the big bolt-style connections on the solenoid, but you can also try shorting the small connector on the solenoid to the fat connector from the battery.. That should fire the solenoid and engage the starter.
More modern starter motors only have tone big (battery) terminal, and one small (control) terminal. Not sure what's on the Beta 14.

It's worth checking the volts AT the starter while trying the start switch.
Also, as I have a DC clamp ammeter, I'd check the current drawn while the start switch is operated. If it's lots of amps, then the solenoid is working but the motor isn't turning. Which can be burned out coils in the motor.
Note that the solenoid often pulls quite a lot of amps itself, 10 is not unusual.
Might be worth checking the earthing of the engine, when you try to operate the starter, is there a voltage difference between the -ve of the battery and the engine casting? you might expect a fraction of a volt if lots of current is flowing.

tymonk

Visit site
Thanks all. I haven't tried anything yet except what I described above but will keep in mind when next down.

I am not sure where the click comes from. I will double check all connections and otherwise try shorting it. Since it did start on the third go, can I assume a loose connection or it getting stuck are the likely issues?

What are ways to persuade a starter?

Thanks again.

William_H

Visit site
Thanks all. I haven't tried anything yet except what I described above but will keep in mind when next down.

I am not sure where the click comes from. I will double check all connections and otherwise try shorting it. Since it did start on the third go, can I assume a loose connection or it getting stuck are the likely issues?

What are ways to persuade a starter?

Thanks again.
What are ways to persuade a starter? Almost answers the question. ie with a persuader. AKA lump hammer. Bash the solenoid and or the body of the starter. ol'will