Best wet weather gear?

westhinder

Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks gore-tex is a pile of poo? After a short while it leaks. Doesn't matter what it is incorporated in, oilskins, shoes, boots etc. The patent reproofing wash doesn't work either.

To keep my Henri-Lloyds going I'm trying Fabsil. Worked a treat on my Flying Fifteen's cover.
Not in my experience. My first Henry Lloyd Goretex jacket started leaking after 12 seasons heavy use, the one that replaced it is still going strong after ten years of equally intensive wear. I have had Goretex sailing, skiing, hiking and cycling gear and it has never let me down. Expensive but worth it, if you ask me.

penberth3

Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks gore-tex is a pile of poo? After a short while it leaks. Doesn't matter what it is incorporated in, oilskins, shoes, boots etc. The patent reproofing wash doesn't work either.

To keep my Henri-Lloyds going I'm trying Fabsil. Worked a treat on my Flying Fifteen's cover.
No you're not! There's a lot of marketing hype for all these allegedly waterproof/breathable products.

lustyd

Visit site
After takeover, HH has allowed Musto to keep Goretex. HH use HellyTech membrane. I am happy with my MPX, so no I have no urge to experiment
Musto also have their own fabric. The patents for Goretex expired so to all intents and purposes it's the same fabric just without the guarantee. Suspect I'll go HPX when I renew anyway as it has a much better design for sailing than the lower tier stuff whether the fabric is better or not.
No you're not! There's a lot of marketing hype for all these allegedly waterproof/breathable products.
It's not allegedly waterproof or marketing hype, it's very well scientifically tested and field proven

Minerva

Visit site
I'd advise caution over the comments around "I've had XX brand for 20 years and it's still waterproof, so I'll replace it like for like". I bought a Musto MPX set 20odd years ago and was still waterproof up until a around 6 years ago despite it seeming to shrink each season 🙄. I replaced it like for like with a new Musto MPX which lasted 3 years before leaking like a sieve; Musto were not interested in the slightest.

My next set of waterproofs were Seago - a very well designed set of Foulies with some clever design features. Aa with the Musto, they started leaking after 2 seasons....

As a general rule, outdoor clothing manufacturers are moving away from PFC waterproof fabrics into more eco friendly fabrics - all good, but there life span of effectiveness is no where near that of the waterproofs you used to be able to buy. My current walking waterproof is now leaking after 18months making it's depreciation over £10 a month!

So - don't assume that because they were long lasting in the past, you will get an equally long life out of your next set...

michael_w

Visit site
It's not allegedly waterproof or marketing hype, it's very well scientifically tested and field proven

In that case, why do the trousers leak in a matter of a few outings. It's ok for the rock stars who get a new set every five minutes.

lustyd

Visit site
In that case, why do the trousers leak in a matter of a few outings. It's ok for the rock stars who get a new set every five minutes.
Mine have lasted 12 years and still fine despite lots of abuse, similar to others on this thread. Others had a leak and got free replacements.

Did you maybe follow PBO's brightest and best and sprinkle sand on deck for non-slip and wear through them?

Dutch01527

Visit site
I have a Puma Offshore Pro Goretex jacket. Made as their flagship range when they sponsored Volvo Ocean racing. Similar to HPX in design and quality.

Best jacket I have ever owned and the cheapest because Puma had withdrawn from the market and shop was selling last of stock at £99 (rrp £750].

Absolute bargain. Not a sentiment I feel often when yachting.

flaming

Visit site
Mine have lasted 12 years and still fine despite lots of abuse, similar to others on this thread. Others had a leak and got free replacements.

Did you maybe follow PBO's brightest and best and sprinkle sand on deck for non-slip and wear through them?
In the same time period my MPX trousers have been replaced 3 times, my HPX boots twice and my MPX smock once. All because they were leaking.

The day they stop doing that FOC is the day I look at other brands.

lustyd

Visit site
In the same time period my MPX trousers have been replaced 3 times, my HPX boots twice and my MPX smock once. All because they were leaking.

The day they stop doing that FOC is the day I look at other brands.
That surprises me. How are they failing? Is it heavy use, are you washing and drying them as per instructions? Puncturing them on sharp bits of boat?

flaming

Visit site
That surprises me. How are they failing? Is it heavy use, are you washing and drying them as per instructions? Puncturing them on sharp bits of boat?
Not especially heavy use. Yes, washing and drying as per. No punctures, just getting wet. Especially noticeable in the seat of the trousers.

lustyd

Visit site
Not especially heavy use. Yes, washing and drying as per. No punctures, just getting wet. Especially noticeable in the seat of the trousers.
And you're certain it's not entering from the head/neck? Easy enough to blame the bit where water collects and feels cold. I'm not doubting you, but I do find it very hard to believe you've had that many failures of such robust fabric

flaming

Visit site
And you're certain it's not entering from the head/neck? Easy enough to blame the bit where water collects and feels cold. I'm not doubting you, but I do find it very hard to believe you've had that many failures of such robust fabric
Well every time I've had a leak they've taken it back, tested it, and then sent me a new one....

But yes, I can tell the difference between getting a wet backside from sitting on a wet deck (which I do a lot of racing) and water coming down my neck...

Lightwave395

Visit site
I've long since given up on various 'reproofing' washes and sprays for my sailing, cycling and walking gear. It will leak, and if it's not replaceable under some kind of warranty then it gets binned and replaced.
Strangely my best sailing gear from 10 years ago was something made by a small local company - 'Hudson Wight', lasted quite a while

flaming

Visit site
I've long since given up on various 'reproofing' washes and sprays for my sailing, cycling and walking gear. It will leak, and if it's not replaceable under some kind of warranty then it gets binned and replaced.
Strangely my best sailing gear from 10 years ago was something made by a small local company - 'Hudson Wight', lasted quite a while
"Marketed by" would be a better description. The stuff was outsourced from China. I still have a bag and some gloves that we won at an event they sponsored.

Mudisox

Visit site
I keep a set that the fishermen wear, if i have to go out into the wet. My smart pale blue set given to me at the 2012 Olympics lasted about 1 season. Now only worn ashore!

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
In the past, I have owned Musto, H/H and Gill oilies.
I have mixed feelings about all of them.|
Was particulary dissapointed by Musto, which started delaminating after about 5 years.

Currently wear Guy Cotten oilies and I can't rate them highly enough. Comfortable to wear and they keep me very dry.
My only regret is that I discovered their kit so late in life.

My current kit: NARUTO SMOCK

My experience too.

Gill and HH poor wear around the cuffs and collar. The HH Salopettes wore badly at the bottoms where in contact with the seaboots and the velcro fell off of the lower fastnings.

The Guy Coten replacements did not suffer in the same way and are far superior.

Not an issue for the last eight years - wet weather gear only been used three times as we have a huge pilothouse and a roof over the rear cockpit from where the sails are trimmed and furled.