Best Way to lock your boat...

onesea

Visit site
The thread on Padlocks reminded me on this one....

My last boat I made a simple lock out of a Window dead lock this worked well. Although meant any window dead lock key could unlock it. You had to know that and come pre prepared :p. The only problem against doing this again is the lump it created on the hatch board.

My latest boat had has a hasp and dead eye, I do not like this arrangement. Even though dead eye is small and to the side I will cut/ brain myself on it one day.

Also the hasp on the Hatch on the board seems only to scratch things below...

Ideally:
1) I would like a key less system, I am not very good at remembering keys :eek:
2) Enough to put off casual intruders,
3) One that if some does brake in they will not do too much damage. Yet will satisfy the insurance company...

Ideas links appreciated...

Last edited:

William_H

Visit site
Security

I found to my expense long ago that a really stout wash board is the first step. They kicked in the ply wash boards it is now thick Aluminium. I use a simple hasp and staple with keyed padlock. I got 4 identical keyed padlocks. One for hatch one for back locker one for dinghy one for oars int he dinghy. i't been safe for a few years now. olewill

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
For many years I have used a lock that sounds similar to your window deadlock. I think it is intended for patio doors. Not sure why any key will fit it but our method avoids that. I made up a protective cover in about 4 mm stainless steel, bent over the lock and bolted to the washboard. There is a relatively small hole into which the key passes, but the hole is too small for a full sized key. I ground down the original ones to allow them to pass through the hole.

This arrangement is perfectly tidy but looks unusual and would hopefully deter a casual pilferer. Last year I sent the keys to a friend who was going to check the boat prior to our arrival. He said his biggest problem was getting the door open.

My original plan was to change the lock frequently, as it is ferrous and I expected it to rust quickly. It has now been on there for about 15 years, with only occasional light oiling.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
I am new'ish to boats so no idea if this is unusual, but on mine I have a metal tongue attached to the roof at front of the companion way, that slides through a slot at the front of the hatch when it is fully closed - you then slip a padlock through that... very neat/elegant....

kevink 6771

www.kbiltd.com
Ideally:
3) One that if some does brake in they will not do too much damage. Yet will satisfy the insurance company...

Ideas links appreciated...[/QUOTE]

Funily enough, i'm just about to start selling key-less locks, which work with a combination, that odes not wear out the numbers (unlike other which gives the intruders a damn good chance of working out the number)
they have been designed for lesiure centre lockers, and can be programmed. very neat.
If your interested, i can email you some deatils

kevink 6771

www.kbiltd.com
Ideally:

Ideas links appreciated...

Funily enough, i'm just about to start selling key-less locks, which work with a combination, that odes not wear out the numbers (unlike other which gives the intruders a damn good chance of working out the number)
they have been designed for lesiure centre lockers, and can be programmed. very neat.
If your interested, i can email you some deatils[/QUOTE]

This is what i'm talking about
http://www.beloxx.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=8&lang=en

Let me know what you think?
:D

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The design is very similar to the one I had before I fitted the patio door lock. OK, it was a key, not a combination, but the problem lies at the opposite end. The bar that slides into a slot in the sliding hatch is only a few millimetres deep. The thieves who stole my absolutely brand new gps, installed that afternoon, simply pushed a screwdriver into the gap and levered it upwards. Didn't even mark the hatch or the washboard.

I replaced the three-piece washboards that collapsed easily, thanks to their water shedding chamfered profile, with a one piece one, made in the thickest ply I could fit into the slot. The patio door lock protrudes nearly an inch into the sliding hatch, which cannot be levered off. Ultimately there is no such thing as a thief proof boat but it is worth making entry as difficult and noisy as possible in the hope that the thief will move on to an easier one.

Visit site
An alternative way of thinking is not to lock at all but remove as many valuables as possible. Often more damage is done and cost incurred as a result of the activity of breaking in rather the items stolen.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
A lock is only as good as the fibreglass / wood you attach it too. my boat was broken into years ago they did a lot of damage to the fibre glass to get in ! my way of thinking is let them in, if they want to nick stuff they will find away in anyway. so no fancy locks for me.

ostell

Visit site

This is what i'm talking about
http://www.beloxx.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=8&lang=en

:D[/QUOTE]
Looks nice and neat.

But what happens when you find the battery is exhausted after you have rowed out to your boat in the wind and rain?

prv

Visit site
If your only objection to the hasp and staple is that you'll brain yourself on the staple on the aft edge of the hatch, how about fitting it on one side instead? Mine has the hasp screwed to the deck beside the forward end of the opening, where it lies unobtrusively when not in use, and the staple on the forward edge of the side face of the hatch so that it lines up with the hasp when the hatch is closed.

As done on my boat, it wouldn't work if you have a hatch garage. But if you moved the fittings to the aft end of the hatch (still on the side face) then it would.

I think a hasp and staple with a combination padlock is a good way of fulfilling your three requirements.

Pete

Stu Jackson

Oakland, California outside San Francisco
Visit site
[/URL]

:D[/QUOTE]

Why not just change the combination occasionally?

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
I guess a good way would be mooring offshore and using a small dinghy to get ashore which can be quickly deflated and inflated with a small motorised pump and carried away in a bag.

As several posters have said its rather a shame getting a good door when the craft is grp or wood.

To deal with that takes lining the original materials with something stronger and obviously you need to check about the added weight.

KREW2

Visit site
I have a rather feeble lock.
My boat is on a swing mooring, I think that anyone who has taken the trouble to get out to it will not be deterred by a padlock.
I know of a chap who had his companion way broken while his boat was locked on the hard standing, the only thing they took was a jigsaw. After hearing that I decided I would strip out anything of value and leave it open.

onesea

Visit site
Combination lock for my boat with reminder as a phone no. in the mobile's directory

Hehe I do that every time I find a combination lock. Or Gate code, even if they are standing next to me and given a piece of paper I will still text my crew the code umber in case "they" forget :eek:.

If your only objection to the hasp and staple is that you'll brain yourself on the staple on the aft edge of the hatch, how about fitting it on one side instead? .....

I think a hasp and staple with a combination padlock is a good way of fulfilling your three requirements.

Pete

This is present arrangement, I would agree but I know me... If I do not find a way to wound myself on it, I will find a way to damage something on it...

they have been designed for lesiure centre lockers, and can be programmed. very neat........

:D

Have to agree with previous poster involves batteries, electronics and water...

A lock is only as good as the fibreglass / wood you attach it too. my boat was broken into years ago they did a lot of damage to the fibre glass to get in ! my way of thinking is let them in, if they want to nick stuff they will find away in anyway. so no fancy locks for me.

I am off same though I was hoping some one might know off small lock that fitted the bill..

This seems to be the best so far, if only it was combination...

If not I will have to find another key hiding spot that does not include Gas lockers :eek:

An alternative way of thinking is not to lock at all but remove as many valuables as possible. Often more damage is done and cost incurred as a result of the activity of breaking in rather the items stolen.

I would love to you just have to consider the smaller items: Winch handles £60 a pop inflatable dinghy, GPS, VHF, 2 Hand helds, cooker etc you cannnot reasonably strip the boat EVERY time...

The whole issue is a little bit of a red herring any one who knows boats will find other easy ways in (causing more expensive damage :eek:)... I just want enough so when sitting on a marina it would stop casual invaders...

I am tempted by these though. Probably mor effective than a lock :cool:

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
Another thought is to arrange to literally take it in turns to keep a watch on the boats of your neighbours and your own, this ideally is free because your all getting the same benefit.

In our day we now have the capacity to buy internet linked webcams so we have the capacity to sit indoors and keep a "virtual watch". on your neighbours boats, same idea as above with the comfort of not leaving your nice warm cabin to go walkabout.

Where you have a number of liveaboards you would not all need to buy said webcams just get as many as it takes to position and get everyones boat in good detail. I know many liveaboards work leaving the marina daily though quite a few stay in most days so liveaboards are in a good position to be asked or offered a watch keeping or virtual watch keeping post.

Because its a live watch keeping service they dont need to video record 24 / 7, only when they think something is up.

They should not be expected to intervene in the case of seeing items being stolen but they can get the video and they can arrange with the marina to contact admin who can call the police or choose to scare the thieves off by making them aware they are being videoed via the marina outdoor sound system.

They could come to an arrangement with local "door people" minders/ in their area if thier paid muscle is needed to give them a call and tell them theres a theft in progress. Perhaps a bonus for them if an arrest is made and intact recovery of stolen goods and a successful prosecution follows because they were first on the scene / played an effective role in apprehending the thives.

Anyone involved just needs to see the value of the service they play an active part in and take it seriously. Its simply watching each others backs.

Incidently here at the southdown marina in the last week or so nathan has told me things are being stolen so he had to start locking the gates at night.

This was part of the info i noted on the website before i first got to the marina and while i knew it would not bother me i did wonder about others who leave the marina for social nights out or to play bingo or go nature watching.

I would suggest to nathan that he thinks about people who have keys and either makes an arrangement of one type or another as outlined here or employs full time security staff and or he might want to offer a reward to the good people who dwell in the marina for information leading to a successful prosecution.

For my own part

I have seen carlights late into the dark hours pulling up just outside the gates though did not think anything of it, i did not pop out to look further so i dont know if thats related to the thefts or not though it has occured several times and i will log the next date and time i note it.

Saying that im not risking my 9 stone of red blooded male bod just to save someones eons old argos sound system or telly or 6 quid kettle or terry wogans greatest hits so wont be leaving my boat in such a situation ;)