Best small pressure cooker ?

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Currently I have a 4 qt aluminium Mirro. It is 4 to 5 years old and is starting to show signs of galvanic corrosion. The handle falling off when the bolt corroded through was my first clue.

I have an opportunity to get one from the USA to replace it this month so what is the best buy.

In the past I liked the aluminium ones as the heat distribution is better but people say that the new stainless steel ones with the composite base incorporating some aluminium do just as well.

So should I go for aluminium or composite stainless?

Is there much to choose between the different brands on offer?

Does anyone have a recommendation?

sarabande

Visit site
I think on the grounds of safety I'd avoid anything where aluminium comes in direct contact with food.

It may be minimal, but.....

RobGill

Visit site
We have a Kuhn Rikon 3.5L which are excellent but expensive. Totally quite in use and easy to take apart and clean and parts available.

Tricia

Visit site
I loved my Kuhn Rikon, but the bottom delaminated. I've got another one (Italian), but it's hard to keep clean and isn't as hardy or handy as the Kuhn.

Personally, I would buy the biggest I could afford and find as I use mine for bottling vegetables and meat.

charles_reed

Visit site
What's your basis for that belief?
I've a Tefal SS cooker, its greatest virtue is a lack of long handles apart from being non-corroding, it is a 5l one and just fits, somewhat uncomfortably, on the top of the small LPG cooker I have. It's now 12 years old and apart from rather fragile handles has given very satisfactory service during that period - it has now been supeceded by a more recent model range, the Clipso.

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
I've a Tefal SS cooker, its greatest virtue is a lack of long handles apart from being non-corroding, it is a 5l one and just fits, somewhat uncomfortably, on the top of the small LPG cooker I have. It's now 12 years old and apart from rather fragile handles has given very satisfactory service during that period - it has now been supeceded by a more recent model range, the Clipso.

I think oldvarnish was more interested in the hint at aluminium being a health hazzard.

V1701

Visit site
I have a tiny wee Hawkins (ebay, £20ish) but also a 4.5l WMF, the latter is worth the money I would say. I didn't buy it from Amazon however, found it cheaper with Auravita but that was a couple of years ago. They do a whole range of sizes...

charles_reed

Visit site
I think oldvarnish was more interested in the hint at aluminium being a health hazzard.
Well the common determinant of Alzheimer is an alumina-based plaque on the brain cells.
That's why it's impossible to be certain of a diagnosis of Alzheimers until an autopsy is carried out.
Which leads one to query the headlines about the "epidemic" of Alzheimers the world is suffering.

One can take one's own view about the toxicity of aluminium but one thing is certain an aluminum pressure cooker on a boat will last about half the time a SS one will.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Unfortunately the aluminium-altzheimers link was a pieces of poor analysis where researchers failed to be joined up. Lab technicians used aluminium as a catalyst in sample analysis of altzheimers affected brains and analysts further down the chain found a correlation between altzheimers and the aluminium. The correlation was widely reported in the press. The subsequent realisation or the error was not. Hence popular perception that aluminium is a cause of altzheimers .

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Have a look at "Lagostina" pressure cookers, or any other casseroles, pans etc

Some of those I have are >20year old (among which 3 pressure cookers, bought in increasing sizes as the family grew), no sign of wear :)

Now that I think of it, my mother bought her first Lagostina pressure cooker when I wasn't even a teenager, so say they have at least 30-40 years of useful life

oh, and they are beautiful objects too

414%2BCit4mxL._SS500_.jpg

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Have a look at "Lagostina" pressure cookers, or any other casseroles, pans etc

Some of those I have are >20year old (among which 3 pressure cookers, bought in increasing sizes as the family grew), no sign of wear :)

Now that I think of it, my mother bought her first Lagostina pressure cooker when I wasn't even a teenager, so say they have at least 30-40 years of useful life

oh, and they are beautiful objects too

414%2BCit4mxL._SS500_.jpg

I like the looks of that.

But does not look like it has made it across the Atlantic.

My current inexpensive ali Mirro is still doing the business even though a couple of steel screws rotted out and needed replacing. As others have pointed out the dangers of cooking with ali seem over egged.

So still the same quandry buy another cheap one for $25 after all it lasted 5 years before needing attention or spend $125 on something in SS.

However as it is some terrible

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
I had a Swan, aluminium, old style pressure cooker which worked great but spares are very difficult to obtain. I have replaced it with a Prestige Smartplus, stainless steel, new type, which is also very good. Bought from amazon and shipped to Greece free of charge. Spares are relatively easy to come by.

Why Not

Visit site
KUHN RIKON PRESSURE COOKER
is available from Lakeland Plastics
www.lakeland.co.uk

It is a super Pressure Cooker and also a useful
sized cooking pot - I bought mine in 2006 and it is
the most efficient pressure cooker I have ever used.
Great for casseroles, soups - it halves cooking times.

I just checked the latest Lakeland catalogue (Autumn 2012)
and it is still there - priced at £99.00. 5 lt. size.

Why Not